ADVERTISEMENT

Reese Leitao--WTH Was He Thinking?

Prepping for life at a typical Big 12 school?

This is really bad. I feel awful for that family. Hopefully he gets a second chance and learns from his mistakes. It won't be an easy year or two.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
This is really bad. I feel awful for that family. Hopefully he gets a second chance and learns from his mistakes. It won't be an easy year or two.

Hopefully he can go juco for a while and show he is reformed.

But dealing ranks right up there with the worst of crimes in my book.

Dealers are predators.

How does this reflect on the parenting skills of our former coach & his wife? Just askin'. This is bad,very bad. Kid will probably go to prison.

Last edited:
Ya know, probably a good opportunity for Jenks (and others) to dig into why there's a market for it in the first place. Not like he's standing out on some corner.

Prescription addiction scares the hell out of me.

It is no longer PC to give people second chances but I still believe in second chances. I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.
I'm OK with 2nd chances but I think the topic has something to do with where and how that 2nd chance comes. This is something where the kid is trying to make easy $$$. The questions will be where did the supply come from or is he selling a personal Rx?

Where I am not OK with easy 2nd chances...Joe Mixon and Dede Westbrook. Sure, they get 2nd chances to be good citizens, but adults should not be making excuses for them just to keep them on a team to raise their personal (coach's) profile and stature. IMO, how OSU handled the Tyreke Hill issue was how it should have been handled...let someone else determine whether or not he gets a 2nd chance at a football career.

How does this reflect on the parenting skills of our former coach & his wife? Just askin'. This is bad,very bad. Kid will probably go to prison.
It doesnt reflect on them at all. Kids do stuff like this for all types of reasons that having nothing to do because of their parents. Heck, I have had clients that threw away offers from Alabama and Auburn because their parents were so rich, powerful, nurturing, and insular, he thought he was untouchable. It never occurred to him that he if got caught doing something that it wouldn't be OK. His parents always made things OK. As his lawyer, it was my job to make it OK ... and I did. I made 200 tabs of ecstasy and four 20 oz bottles of GHB analog a gun and $2000.00 turn into a single misdemeanor count of drug paraphernalia. The kid needed to be launched. Anyone who knows their way around the block knows he was supplying his friends with the tools to groom younger inexperienced girls into bedrooms. He was a tool kit for rapists. If you talked to him and knew his parents, you know he wasn't a rapist. But he thought it was an opportunity to take advantage of a demand that nobody else was filling. The kid got diversion, I got $20K for a couple of phone calls and some legal research, and dad had to skip his solo hunting vacation that year. Ive had dozens of clients with similar stories and backgrounds. We have raised a generation of kids that have been taught from an early age that they need Rx medication to function at a high level in the classroom. Indeed, many believe that they need the Rx for an advantage over their peers. They view Rx as vitamins or food. So, they view Rx as benign, even helpful. This goes for their recreational life too. There is nothing wrong with the parenting here on the face of it. We would need to know a lot more.

It doesnt reflect on them at all. Kids do stuff like this for all types of reasons that having nothing to do because of their parents. Heck, I have had clients that threw away offers from Alabama and Auburn because their parents were so rich, powerful, nurturing, and insular, he thought he was untouchable. It never occurred to him that he if got caught doing something that it wouldn't be OK. His parents always made things OK. As his lawyer, it was my job to make it OK ... and I did. I made 200 tabs of ecstasy and four 20 oz bottles of GHB analog a gun and $2000.00 turn into a single misdemeanor count of drug paraphernalia. The kid needed to be launched. Anyone who knows their way around the block knows he was supplying his friends with the tools to groom younger inexperienced girls into bedrooms. He was a tool kit for rapists. If you talked to him and knew his parents, you know he wasn't a rapist. But he thought it was an opportunity to take advantage of a demand that nobody else was filling. The kid got diversion, I got $20K for a couple of phone calls and some legal research, and dad had to skip his solo hunting vacation that year. Ive had dozens of clients with similar stories and backgrounds. We have raised a generation of kids that have been taught from an early age that they need Rx medication to function at a high level in the classroom. Indeed, many believe that they need the Rx for an advantage over their peers. They view Rx as vitamins or food. So, they view Rx as benign, even helpful. This goes for their recreational life too. There is nothing wrong with the parenting here on the face of it. We would need to know a lot more.

This is something that really makes me angry. As a person who has been told since I was in elementary school that I likely had an attention disorder (something that's plausible to me) I just wanted to better myself and learn how to function adequately without any medications. I've never touched the stuff. Then I get to college and I have friends that admit they have no ADD or ADHD symptoms whatsoever (and they'll tell you as much) are abusing things like focalin or adderall to study for tests. I didn't get through TU with great grades, but one thing I will always be proud of myself for is doing it all on my own merit, without any "enhancements" when some of my classmates were abusing that crap on a weekly basis.

It reminds me of hearing about law students abusing cocaine. I'm a fan somehow weeding out those type of people and putting an asterisk next to their GPA.

I will say that abusing Xanax kind of blows my mind. I haven't ever tried it, but it seems so dangerous and stupid. I understand students, particularly law students, abuse these things, but I couldn't tell you what advantage it gives you. Knowing your $hit is generally the only advantage you need. It's hard to regulate those issues. The academic world likes to give people every opportunity if they can document a disability. They don't test to see if anyone is "juicing" and they probably couldn't if they wanted.

I've had clients (allegedly) get caught with small amounts Xanax and I've struggled with understanding why it is an issue deserving criminal punishment. Most weren't trying to get an advantage in school. It was mostly people with stress issues who couldn't afford medical insurance or just dumb kids being dumb.

There's a lot to be said for people who turn down the meds so you should be applauded, Aston.

It doesn't at all. Are you a parent? Kids do all kinds of stupid things that their parents tell them not to do. I told my son, repeatedly, not to play on his phone and drive. Finally his siblings told on him. He could have killed someone. My parents taught me to not drink when I was underage, that didn't stop me in college. You can't blame parents for kids making stupid decisions.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
My favorites are the people that come into my office after they get busted for selling their kids adderall for cash. I had a local insurance salesman come to me on a possession and sale case. Clears three times what i do in income easy. Lives in the best part of town. Busted for that and wanted to negotiate with me on fees. Loser.

Reactions: Gold*
This is something that really makes me angry. As a person who has been told since I was in elementary school that I likely had an attention disorder (something that's plausible to me) I just wanted to better myself and learn how to function adequately without any medications. I've never touched the stuff. Then I get to college and I have friends that admit they have no ADD or ADHD symptoms whatsoever (and they'll tell you as much) are abusing things like focalin or adderall to study for tests. I didn't get through TU with great grades, but one thing I will always be proud of myself for is doing it all on my own merit, without any "enhancements" when some of my classmates were abusing that crap on a weekly basis.

It reminds me of hearing about law students abusing cocaine. I'm a fan somehow weeding out those type of people and putting an asterisk next to their GPA.
That's because you have a moral center, unlike most of the rest of the country these days.

Reactions: TU Sepp and Gold*
My favorites are the people that come into my office after they get busted for selling their kids adderall for cash. I had a local insurance salesman come to me on a possession and sale case. Clears three times what i do in income easy. Lives in the best part of town. Busted for that and wanted to negotiate with me on fees. Loser.

Yeah, that's the world we live in. I imagine it's worse in Florida. Better Call Saul needs to touch fee disputes. Did you see the one about guy who wanted to secede? The discussion on fees and payment needs to be taught in law school. I howled when I saw it.

ADHD and many psychological conditions like depression are biologically based - these people's brains operate differently. The idea that they should be judged or criticized for using medicine to correct the different brain processes is ridiculous and cruel. Would you say they shouldn't be allowed to use stress balls or meditation? Or that paralyzed people should be judged for using wheelchairs, or visually impaired people for wearing glasses?

People who don't have a medical need for the treatment are of course different but it's just wrong to stigmatize people who need a treatment for using it.

ADHD and many psychological conditions like depression are biologically based - these people's brains operate differently. The idea that they should be judged or criticized for using medicine to correct the different brain processes is ridiculous and cruel. Would you say they shouldn't be allowed to use stress balls or meditation? Or that paralyzed people should be judged for using wheelchairs, or visually impaired people for wearing glasses?

People who don't have a medical need for the treatment are of course different but it's just wrong to stigmatize people who need a treatment for using it.
I've had a couple of ex girlfriend's who probably had a need for Xanax, but abused it. They ended up zombies half of the time.

I've had a couple of ex girlfriend's who probably had a need for Xanax, but abused it. They ended up zombies half of the time.
Ironically the biggest challenge with medication and people who actually are ADHD isn't abusing the medicine, it's the opposite, the challenge is getting them to take it regularly. Many of them don't like the feeling of the medicine and have to see its benefit in spite of not liking the experience. Research shows that teens and adolescents who have ADHD and take medicine are significantly less likely to use other drugs, get arrested, have conduct related school issues, etc. Shaming them and stigmatizing the medication makes it even worse.

I've had to deal with anxiety for the first time after moving from Tulsa, mostly manifested as just not sleeping for days straight. I had to wrestle with various pharma options trying to get it under control that made me wonky in other ways. Traded one ill for others. And then I was scared of being dependent on meds which added more anxiety. I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I'm fortunate that low doses snapped my brain out of that cycle enough to wean off needing to take anything but a benadryl.

I have no doubt high school students have significantly different pressures than I did at that age and I know now what that must feel like. Mental health is a legit rough deal on top of the addictive nature of prescription drugs.

Reactions: chito_and_leon

That's not my intent whatsoever. I'm angry about people that DON'T really need it starting college and starting to use it. I also knew some people that had been diagnosed as kids and actually had the prescriptions for it and used it in a legitimate way, and I had no real problem with that. As a person that probably would have been prescribed the drugs legitimately as a child and was trying to get by without them, it made me mad to see people that didn't need them other than during all night study sessions start using them.

The people I'm talking about would see their friends using it and ask for some, and you would see them start taking more and more every couple weeks around test time. It's happening at colleges around the country.

Last edited:
Ironically the biggest challenge with medication and people who actually are ADHD isn't abusing the medicine, it's the opposite, the challenge is getting them to take it regularly. Many of them don't like the feeling of the medicine and have to see its benefit in spite of not liking the experience. Research shows that teens and adolescents who have ADHD and take medicine are significantly less likely to use other drugs, get arrested, have conduct related school issues, etc. Shaming them and stigmatizing the medication makes it even worse.
I was/am adhd and never wanted to take Ritalyn and the like for the very reason you are talking about. I tried it out of curiosity in my early 40's just to see what it was like. Didn't seem to have an effect on me one way or the other. The exes I am talking about had a problem with Panic attacks not ADHD.

I've had to deal with anxiety for the first time after moving from Tulsa, mostly manifested as just not sleeping for days straight. I had to wrestle with various pharma options trying to get it under control that made me wonky in other ways. Traded one ill for others. And then I was scared of being dependent on meds which added more anxiety. I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I'm fortunate that low doses snapped my brain out of that cycle enough to wean off needing to take anything but a benadryl.

I have no doubt high school students have significantly different pressures than I did at that age and I know now what that must feel like. Mental health is a legit rough deal on top of the addictive nature of prescription drugs.
If you have problems with insomnia, whether it is due anxiety or anything else, you should consider Elavil. It is an old school anti depressant that is prescribed for off label use as a sleep aid. Has no addictive qualities, and very few side effects. It is the only medication I take for anything. I have been a constant insomniac since I had the stroke. If you want further info about it, you can email me at Gmoney4ww@gmail.com, and I can go into a little more detail about it.

I will say that abusing Xanax kind of blows my mind. I haven't ever tried it, but it seems so dangerous and stupid. I understand students, particularly law students, abuse these things, but I couldn't tell you what advantage it gives you. Knowing your $hit is generally the only advantage you need. It's hard to regulate those issues. The academic world likes to give people every opportunity if they can document a disability. They don't test to see if anyone is "juicing" and they probably couldn't if they wanted.

I've had clients (allegedly) get caught with small amounts Xanax and I've struggled with understanding why it is an issue deserving criminal punishment. Most weren't trying to get an advantage in school. It was mostly people with stress issues who couldn't afford medical insurance or just dumb kids being dumb.

There's a lot to be said for people who turn down the meds so you should be applauded, Aston.
I have taken Xanax for stress induced anxiety. It's not even a daily thing. It can help you sleep some and leaves you a little light headed/cloudy upon initial waking. To get any type of light headed high you'd need to take more than 1 and probably 3-4 at a time. I can't imagine the kids buying it are doing so for test prep or a rush.

I was/am adhd and never wanted to take Ritalyn and the like for the very reason you are talking about. I tried it out of curiosity in my early 40's just to see what it was like. Didn't seem to have an effect on me one way or the other. The exes I am talking about had a problem with Panic attacks not ADHD.
Ritalin was a first generation medicine, i don't think it's prescribed much anymore because the newer drugs are more effective and have fewer side effects. Some people don't respond to some drugs so you'll sometimes have to try a couple to find one that works. And some people with ADHD don't respond to any of the drugs. ADHD is really a cluster of related conditions that are bucketer together but aren't the same.

Thanks for sharing Junkie. It's by sharing that people realize how common these challenges are, and seeing our friends and neighbors and people we respect struggle with them is how it becomes destigmatized.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Ritalin was a first generation medicine, i don't think it's prescribed much anymore because the newer drugs are more effective and have fewer side effects. Some people don't respond to some drugs so you'll sometimes have to try a couple to find one that works. And some people with ADHD don't respond to any of the drugs. ADHD is really a cluster of related conditions that are bucketer together but aren't the same.

Focalin, Vivance, and Adderall were the attention stimulants I heard about people selling / taking.

If you have problems with insomnia, whether it is due anxiety or anything else, you should consider Elavil. It is an old school anti depressant that is prescribed for off label use as a sleep aid. Has no addictive qualities, and very few side effects. It is the only medication I take for anything. I have been a constant insomniac since I had the stroke. If you want further info about it, you can email me at Gmoney4ww@gmail.com, and I can go into a little more detail about it.

It was actually another old low dose antidepressant that helped me, trazodone. Slowed me down and made me able to sleep. But weird worries and dark fears would come out of nowhere so once I was sleeping normally I backed off and have been alright since. I will definitely look into that if I start having issues again!

I really feel for people who struggle to feel "normal" and might not ever be on their own. We take it for granted.

It was actually another old low dose antidepressant that helped me, trazodone. Slowed me down and made me able to sleep. But weird worries and dark fears would come out of nowhere so once I was sleeping normally I backed off and have been alright since. I will definitely look into that if I start having issues again!

I really feel for people who struggle to feel "normal" and might not ever be on their own. We take it for granted.

Probably would be better if we took this convo to email, but...

Trazodone is my, oh crap Elavil's not working anymore, back up medicine. But I don't like it for the simple fact that if you do not let your self fall asleep in the first 30 or 40 min that it affects you, then tough luck. I can go to sleep on Elavil in an hour or in 3 hours. There is not as brief a window with Elavil.(Amitriptyline)

And yes there is the possible side effects of strange dreams on Trazodone.(Not a problem with Elavil.) Like I said, contact me if you want to know a bit more. There is a couple of things you need to know about doses, side effects, and etc. Stuff you won't necessarily get in speaking to a Doctor.

Anybody can email me at Gmoney4ww@gmail.com if they want a brief convo about this medicine and stuff about sleep problems. I went 7 years sleeping on alcohol because I didn't think I had a choice, until I discovered this medication by accident. That is no fun at all, I thought all of my problems were stroke related. Surprise, surprise, at least a third of them were the effects of not getting any legit sleep for 7 years. The night I took that pill gave me a hell of a great next day. Was on top of the world at 6:30am.

Deep R.E.M. is your friend, and I didn't have any for way too long.

Last edited:
Focalin, Vivance, and Adderall were the attention stimulants I heard about people selling / taking.
I have actually heard Adderall referred to as "Madderall" by some parents who are trying to find the right combo for their son. Apparently the adderall side effect on him was fits of rage.

I have actually heard Adderall referred to as "Madderall" by some parents who are trying to find the right combo for their son. Apparently the adderall side effect on him was fits of rage.
Yup. Irritability and major loss of appetite are the main side effects of most of those drugs I believe.

Wow.
What a thread.
I don't take any meds but allergy meds and ibuprofen but...

Are they taken for Recreation or as medicinal?
For clearing and focusing the mind or do they just fog and inhibit the mind or... do they free and release the mind?

I've worked three sides of the equation and there is no right answer across the board but will say that most teens who are doing more than experimenting without a prescription are self medicating and may or may not realize it. Not all, but most.

In terms of actual prescribed meds, the biggest issue I have heard and seen is that it makes people not feel like themselves even if helps their symptoms. Finding the right med or combination of meds is an inexact and experimental science that is different for each person.

Kind of like finding the right drinks you want to party with.
Whiskey may make you angry.
Tequila to forget.
Vodka to lose inhibitions at the club.
Wine to relax and laugh.
Beer to chill and watch the game .

Some have their drink(s) the same as some have their med(s) and some have their drugs.
Hell, some have all three.

Sunuvabitch, gimme a drink!
Gettin too serious up in here

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Yup. Irritability and major loss of appetite are the main side effects of most of those drugs I believe.
A very large percentage of kids who are diagnosed with ADHD are sent to the doctor because of legal issues. The impulse control translates into poor emotional control, so they lash out and explode and become violent or reckless. They're also much more likely to do illegal drugs because of the impulse control. They also get labeled as bad kids which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Prescription medicines, when the right one is found, have a significant positive impact on this, and kids that are treated for their ADHD are much less likely to have legal and academic issues. For most the prescription significantly reduces aggression and emotional outbursts.

I wish it was a weed thread. I'd probably want some White Castle right about now ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT