ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting -- TU Basketball adds signees with more to come

I’ll be shocked if Shumate doesn’t choose Tulsa. His other offers are all from significantly worse programs and if he came to TU he’d be playing with his teammate Keshawn.

However, don't know if Shumate wants to be "the man" of a team early on, which he would get that chance at other places. He could be that at TU, but he would have to fight past some really good competition. One thing I think Haith and staff do well is give recruits an honest assessment of what their role will be like, and their expectations. I wouldn't see Shumate having heavy minutes next year, so that might push him elsewhere. Just sayin'
On a side note, next year's team will look a lot like Haith's last good Mizzou team with Pressey, Denmon, and English. They played 4 out- one in and shot the lights out to a #2 seed in the tourney before losing to Norfolk St.

However, don't know if Shumate wants to be "the man" of a team early on, which he would get that chance at other places. He could be that at TU, but he would have to fight past some really good competition. One thing I think Haith and staff do well is give recruits an honest assessment of what their role will be like, and their expectations. I wouldn't see Shumate having heavy minutes next year, so that might push him elsewhere. Just sayin'
On a side note, next year's team will look a lot like Haith's last good Mizzou team with Pressey, Denmon, and English. They played 4 out- one in and shot the lights out to a #2 seed in the tourney before losing to Norfolk St.
I listened to a podcast between him and one of the local videographers in Chicago. He said his goal is to make an impact during his freshman year and be up for some accolades (awards) late in his first season. That being said.... Schumate is absolutely good enough to see the floor early in his career. He's not going to have a lot in front of him if we chose to play him as a small ball 4. He might be forced to split time 50/50 with Rod Brown, but besides that we don't have anyone the right size to play against American conference forwards. He's got the leaping ability that we need to battle in the low post. Honestly, I could see him leading the team in rebounds and blocks next year.

We don't currently have a big man like Ricardo Ratliffe, who Haith had at Mizzou. Ratliffe played 26 mpg and averaged 14 + 7.5. Whoever we put at the 5 spot is going to need help rebounding and defending the low post. Schumate could be that guy on the defensive end and a sparkplug on offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
My thoughts on likely time splits between roster spots:

PG: Joiner 60% KES 30% Williams 10%
CG: KES 20% Jackson 45% Haywood 25%
Wing: Rachal 65% Haywood 15% Richie 20%
Small 4: Brown 40% Schumate 40% Richie 20%
C: Idowu w/ waiver 45%, Ugboh 25%, Earley 30%

Injury Subs: Gendron, Urbancic.

MPG (Last D1 Avg):
Rachal - 26 (29)
Joiner - 24 (24.4)
KES - 20 (14.6 @ Ark)
Haywood - 16(24 @ GT)
Richie - 16(-)
Brown - 16(-)
Schumate - 16(-)
Idowu - 18 (15.7 @ Ill St.)
Ugboh - 10 (8)
Earley - 12 (5)
Williams - 4 (-)

Last edited:
I listened to a podcast between him and one of the local videographers in Chicago. He said his goal is to make an impact during his freshman year and be up for some accolades (awards) late in his first season. That being said.... Schumate is absolutely good enough to see the floor early in his career. He's not going to have a lot in front of him if we chose to play him as a small ball 4. He might be forced to split time 50/50 with Rod Brown, but besides that we don't have anyone the right size to play against American conference forwards. He's got the leaping ability that we need to battle in the low post. Honestly, I could see him leading the team in rebounds and blocks next year.

We don't currently have a big man like Ricardo Ratliffe, who Haith had at Mizzou. Ratliffe played 26 mpg and averaged 14 + 7.5. Whoever we put at the 5 spot is going to need help rebounding and defending the low post. Schumate could be that guy on the defensive end and a sparkplug on offense.
I have to admit on my first read through of this post I wondered how he played 26 miles per gallon.

Reactions: astonmartin708

MPG (Last D1 Avg):
Rachal - 26 (29)
Joiner - 24 (24.4)
KES - 20 (14.6 @ Ark)
Haywood - 16(24 @ GT)
Richie - 16(-)
Brown - 16(-)
Schumate - 16(-)
Ugboh - 10 (8)
Earley - 12 (5)
Williams - 4 (-)
I have a feeling your faith in Idowu early on is overinflated, and you might be underestimating Earley.

I have a feeling your faith in Idowu early on is overinflated, and you might be underestimating Earley.
Earley played 5 a game last year and he didn’t show too many flashes of anything that would make me confident in him playing more much more. Still I put him more than doubling his minutes. Idowu has already played nearly his projected number per game.

I think people are hoping that early will be a diamond that we picked up for next to nothing, but he has to show more to convince me.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Early is good. He was out of shape after the injury. He rebounds like a mofo. He can score, too, but is still raw there.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Earley played 5 a game last year and he didn’t show too many flashes of anything that would make me confident in him playing more much more. Still I put him more than doubling his minutes. Idowu has already played nearly his projected number per game.

I think people are hoping that early will be a diamond that we picked up for next to nothing, but he has to show more to convince me.
SMH at your lack of lack of foresight on his play.

I have been an Earley fan for a long time. He needs a lot of work on the defensive end as he fouls too much and has not been a shot blocker. But on the positive side, he can be an awesome rebounder and should improve on offense a lot . This season should tell if he is one of those with 100% improvement or will plateau.

I hope Joiner spends less than 20% of his time at point guard.

Need Joiner and Rachal to work on ball handling in traffic for next season. Both lost a lot of balls dribbling. A little different from Pooh who I think was stolen off his dribble twice in his whole career.

Early is good. He was out of shape after the injury. He rebounds like a mofo. He
can score, too, but is still raw there.
In truth, all three of our bigs need work on both ends of the court....Idowu may or
may not have ever played a match-up zone, and Ugbow and Earley are still learning
as well....If we cautiously throw Brown into that mix, the same applies to him....

This damned virus is putting a damper on our lives in so many ways....While it looks
as if things may loosen up during May, That still projects us a long ways from the team
getting back out on the practice floor....

I am thankful that we are still able to chat about it....This reminds me of baseball's old
"hot stove league" discussions in the winter time.....I haven't heard that expression in
forever...

In truth, all three of our bigs need work on both ends of the court....Idowu may or
may not have ever played a match-up zone, and Ugbow and Earley are still learning
as well....If we cautiously throw Brown into that mix, the same applies to him....

This damned virus is putting a damper on our lives in so many ways....While it looks
as if things may loosen up during May, That still projects us a long ways from the team
getting back out on the practice floor....

I am thankful that we are still able to chat about it....This reminds me of baseball's old
"hot stove league" discussions in the winter time.....I haven't heard that expression in
forever...
We might not even get Idowu. I don't see why Illinois State would essentially wave a big who played that many minutes for them, and the 1 free transfer rule change isn't supposed to go into effect until after next season.

Gendron practiced all year and knows the match up zone perfectly. The layoff won't hurt him.

Gendron practiced all year and knows the match up zone perfectly. The layoff won't hurt him.
That’s fair, but I really am skeptical that this time off will heavily effect basketball season, it will probably effect the young players in the summer weight room more than anything else.

I just saw something that makes me think Shumate will be announcing for Tulsa soon. Will let you know what after his announcement.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Everyone's lamenting the lack of that elusive 6'11"-7' guy that every team wants & recruits. Check out some quotes from young Mr.Shumate's HS Coach: "he's a highlight show"; "....an elite athlete"; "........a very exciting player"; "...very confident in his ability to block shots"; "great defensive instincts.........lock down an opponent"; "great offensive rebounder" & so on. Hmmmm. Kid apparently has the skill(in a 6'6" package) that we all look for in a big & and dunks with near EC aggression.

Just can't wait to see this kid in action as well as his former HS teammate. The youngsters in this class could really make some noise in the next 4 years.

MPG (Last D1 Avg):
Rachal - 26 (29)
Joiner - 24 (24.4)
KES - 20 (14.6 @ Ark)
Haywood - 16(24 @ GT)
Richie - 16(-)
Brown - 16(-)
Schumate - 16(-)
Ugboh - 10 (8)
Earley - 12 (5)
Williams - 4 (-)

Brown will get some run at the 5. And I know what you're gonna say, but just imagine for a minute a lineup with KES, Jackson, Rachal, Shumate, and Brown. Just build the whole plane out of steals, blocks, and hammer dunks in transition.

Brown will get some run at the 5. And I know what you're gonna say, but just imagine for a minute a lineup with KES, Jackson, Rachal, Shumate, and Brown. Just build the whole plane out of steals, blocks, and hammer dunks in transition.
I'm not ready to count out Earley until we see what progress he has made. I think he might surprise some people. I can't imagine he won't show significant progress.

Reactions: ctt8410
Everyone's lamenting the lack of that elusive 6'11"-7' guy that every team wants & recruits. Check out some quotes from young Mr.Shumate's HS Coach: "he's a highlight show"; "....an elite athlete"; "........a very exciting player"; "...very confident in his ability to block shots"; "great defensive instincts.........lock down an opponent"; "great offensive rebounder" & so on. Hmmmm. Kid apparently has the skill(in a 6'6" package) that we all look for in a big & and dunks with near EC aggression.

Just can't wait to see this kid in action as well as his former HS teammate. The youngsters in this class could really make some noise in the next 4 years.

Tulsa can't sign the "ready to play" 6'10" BIG who dominates the paint and is a rim defender. There are only about 20-30 of those each year and guess where they go. So the next best is 6'6"-6'7" great athletes who can't shoot really good yet or they would be at the same 20-30 schools. We have to hope we can turn some of these into scorers and that we have some great three point shooters to balance things out.

It's going to be very matchup depended if it happens. It's going to be hard for anyone on our team to matchup with a guy like Vogt at Cincy with his combination of size and skill.

Aston,
I understand the Cinci/ Houston issue- I really get it. Those match-ups will not be in our favor. But continually we have trouble scoring with those teams. We will not be able to out-rebound them, but perhaps if we press their guards, get steals and score in transition, or drive right at them and get their "bigs" into foul trouble the game goes differently. That's where coaching comes into play (or at least we hope!). I like the idea of going after athletic players if we cannot get the size and surround the perimeter with shooters. I am scared of a line-up consisting of: Joiner, Jackson, Shumate, Brown, Earley in terms of scoring, but that might be our best defensive line-up & the hope would be that there would always be a Haywood, Gendron, Williams, Richie, or KES out there with four of the above. At least that is what I am envisioning. I'd be okay losing @ Cinci and @ Houston if we can win our home games and not lose OC games @UALR etc.

Since we finished in a tie for first we will probably have a little tougher schedule next season. Unless they move to 20 games and a true round robin I expect we see ECU and either USF or Tulane only once.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Aston,
I understand the Cinci/ Houston issue- I really get it. Those match-ups will not be in our favor. But continually we have trouble scoring with those teams. We will not be able to out-rebound them, but perhaps if we press their guards, get steals and score in transition, or drive right at them and get their "bigs" into foul trouble the game goes differently. That's where coaching comes into play (or at least we hope!). I like the idea of going after athletic players if we cannot get the size and surround the perimeter with shooters. I am scared of a line-up consisting of: Joiner, Jackson, Shumate, Brown, Earley in terms of scoring, but that might be our best defensive line-up & the hope would be that there would always be a Haywood, Gendron, Williams, Richie, or KES out there with four of the above. At least that is what I am envisioning. I'd be okay losing @ Cinci and @ Houston if we can win our home games and not lose OC games @UALR etc.
I really doubt you'll see Brown and Schumate on the floor together much.

I think this is what you'll see a lot: Brown starts, and Schumate comes in to give a spark to the 2nd unit. Meanwhile... the opponent's star players will look over to him checking in and say "f*$%" just like Lebron James does with Kawhi Leonard.

Btw, Schumate, per a recent interview, considers his "ceiling" to be that of Kawhi.

I really doubt you'll see Brown and Schumate on the floor together much.

I think this is what you'll see a lot: Brown starts, and Schumate comes in to give a spark to the 2nd unit. Meanwhile... the opponent's star players will look over to him checking in and say "f*$%" just like Lebron James does with Kawhi Leonard.

Btw, Schumate, per a recent interview, considers his "ceiling" to be that of Kawhi.
Healthy ego.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT