ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting rankings

Yeah... we’ve been towards the bottom of the recruiting rankings since graham left...

Recruiting rankings are not GOLD, but they matter. They are somewhat accurate.

And this cements everything for me. And the main reason I am calling for the head of the AD and the HC's in both BB and FB.

The 2017 losses are not a big deal. The recruiting is poor and the future looks bleak.

We seem to be recruiting mostly 2's, and we only appeared once in the dallas morning news list of top 100 area recruits.

Are we slipping?

Um, Yes. Waiting for 2019, when Monty is gone. Can't coach or recruit. Then again, Chad was a 4 star...

Recruiting doesn’t matter at the smallest school in division one. We go after plenty of fantastic guys that end up being 4* Kids that sign at power 5 schools. The way we are going to continue to win is to out-evaluate the rest of the conference. We have to find the kids that didn’t get a ton of offers and we have to offer first. Even then it’s hard. Look at the running back at Louisville. Look at the running back at Baylor. The lineman at Tech and the other one at Arkansas. This year was the WR who stayed home in Houston and Jace Ruder who chose North Carolina. The more this staff continues to correctly identify talent, as they have early and often, the more the kids they find are going to blow up on the rankings. It’s a thankless job here. Relax and pay more attention to retention. That’s what matters at a school like this. How many people stay on the team in order to create sustainable depth.

Recruiting doesn’t matter at the smallest school in division one... The way we are going to continue to win is to out-evaluate the rest of the conference. We have to find the kids that didn’t get a ton of offers and we have to offer first.

I get what you re trying to say, but recruiting matters. A lot. While it is possible to out-evaluate from time to time, it is unlikely that Tulsa will be able to recruit a roster of players who were all appreciably under evaluated by everyone else.

And yes, finding someone early and making an offer does help. But it comes with the risk that they do not pan out as anticipated or, unfortunately more likely, others catch on that they are good and we are again in an head to head battle...which may not bode well. At that juncture, retaining less talented players isn't going to overcome the problem and having a 3 deep roster of less talented players doesn't matter (talent meaning skill, size, etc. all together).

Talent scouting is an art, not a science. Yes coaching, development, retention and all that comes into play. But there's a reason the "big boys" usually win, and it isn't a 21+ point gap in coaching talent. There's a reason seeing a team without the top players competing with the big boys is always an exciting story. If one were to run recruiting rankings next to win/loss rankings three year later, the more desirable recruits usually win.

Actually, no nee for such a hypothetical exercise, the numbers have been run, here is one example (yes it has faults, but it is a good example anyway):

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...ings-vs-on-field-success-national-signing-day

Looking at the numbers, it is very possible to punch above your class by a certain margin (particularly if you snipe a few strong recruits and can build on them). TCU, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State and other have been doing so fairly regularly. Oklahoma State has recruiting classes in ranked in the low 20s, but cracks the top 25 for results. Wisconsin classes in the 40s, and cracks the top 15. And it is possible to under achieve with great recruits (see, e.g., Texas).

But results even close to that go from rare to "look at these freaks" once you drop below the 50% mark of recruiting classes (only Boise State and K State in the data set above, covering 2010-2014). Tulsa has been having to punch about our recruiting levels to be mediocre. Now, to screw up my entire argument, there may now be data to suggest we are under-performing given our recruiting.

But dang it, my macro point still stands!

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm trashing Tulsa or bashing our recruits, but objectively they are not as desirable based on offers and stars and the results speak for themselves)

Regardless of the size of our school, we should not be ranked last in the American...especially coming off a ten win season. Something isn't right imo. Maybe it's time to look at the recruiting skills of Monty's assistants?

I am hating these same arguments over and over. TU won 10 games last year with players built to compete on the C-USA level. TU was fewer than 10 pts from being undefeated in conference and playing for a conference championship. The guys brought in who start are almost as talented as every other group of starters out there with the biggest difference being experience, especially in the AAC. The difference between the perennial top 10 teams and our groups is depth. There is a drop-off from 1st to 2nd team players at TU and it becomes even more dramatic when you get beyond the 2 deep. This is a problem at all G5 schools

Meh. We are about where we should be. The only teams above us that should be below us are Marshall and South Florida, both have the advantage of not caring at all about academics and telling kids that up front. Maybe Im not reading the graph correctly but it appears that there are several AAC teams below us, we are all roughly in the same pack, and teams like Boise State, are nearby. Im cool with that.

Plus graphs, stars, and statistics make no difference to me at all. We could bring in two five star RBs and a four star safety and it make our ranking soar, but we would still be unable to throw the ball or cover man-free.

Reactions: TUGrad06
There is no way Tulane and UConn should be above us imo. Those two schools don't even care about football. I will say this and leave it at that....I would wager there are very few schools which finish last in their conference in recruiting rankings which win conference titles. On paper, our recruiting during the CUSA years were better than what we're currently seeing.

We used to recruit north texas better
Aside from the stars, I look who the other teams are.

It just seems like we have dropped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT