ADVERTISEMENT

Rebuild

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
The whole athletic department, what we have been doing has not been working, our athletic director needs to go.

Reactions: TUGrad06
With us being an oil school where is our version of Boone Pickens? Step up now, please

The trustees don't care
Right?

There is a total :crap: storm happening at 11th and Harvard

It is very sad

I’m gonna melt for a moment... this was bad. Very bad. There’s no silver lining nor are there high points to build from. Something has do change or we’re on a slippery slope to no mans land. As hard as it is for me to say, Montgomery isn’t getting it done. I miss Todd graham (even if he was a douche).

I’m gonna melt for a moment... this was bad. Very bad. There’s no silver lining nor are there high points to build from. Something has do change or we’re on a slippery slope to no mans land. As hard as it is for me to say, Montgomery isn’t getting it done. I miss Todd graham (even if he was a douche).

this sounds funny but i want the douche back. GIVE US BACK OUR DOUCHE!!!

It's like Montgomery has been possessed by Keith Burns. Maybe we'll catch a break and "Dr. Do-Little" Gragg will be hired away by Vanderbilt.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Glad some of you (gh2) are finally seeing the light. He sucks. I know I know, then you come back with, "you suck". I get it, you're taking out your frustration at Monty out on me, no worries. I can take it.

I dont think he sucks but he is by far the worst recruiter TU has EVER had including burns... burns was actually good at recruiting just sucked at coaching.

We are not getting out talented. Texas just beat down USC and we held our own vs them physically. This is not a talent issue. It's an execution and planning problem.

Texas also lost to Maryland who got routed by Temple yesterday. I would caution in reading too much into how our opponents do in particular games in evaluated our talent.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Texas also lost to Maryland who got routed by Temple yesterday. I would caution in reading too much into how our opponents do in particular games in evaluated our talent.

I think you missed my point. The talent level is fine. In college your coaching and decision making matter more. The point isn't that our talent level isn't so much worse that it's causing us to lose.

Also the AAC match's physically very well with most P5 teams. UCF and Houston would match up pretty well with anyone. The rest of the conference is usually on par with middle or lower P5 programs.

The AAC currently has a winning record vs the P5 this year. Since 2015 we are almost .500 vs the P5 as a conference (Tulane, Tulsa, and SMU are 0-17). Both divisions have winning records against the P5 in neutral and home games.

I’m not talking about the AAC’s talent level, I’m taking about Tulsa’s talent level. Our better teams have always had a few difference makers at the skill positions. I see no all conference type players in these positions outside of maybe Brooks and he’s a year or so away. I’m not saying that coaching isn’t an issue...it is. I am saying that our current talent level on this team isn’t on par with the top third of this conference. That’s on the coaching staff too btw.

Houston have up 63 to a true freshman QB yesterday btw. They have some issues on D. Their O is likely good enough to get them past us though.

I’m not talking about the AAC’s talent level, I’m taking about Tulsa’s talent level. Our better teams have always had a few difference makers at the skill positions. I see no all conference type players in these positions outside of maybe Brooks and he’s a year or so away. I’m not saying that coaching isn’t an issue...it is. I am saying that our current talent level on this team isn’t on par with the top third of this conference. That’s on the coaching staff too btw.

Houston have up 63 to a true freshman QB yesterday btw. They have some issues on D. Their O is likely good enough to get them past us though.

Yes because Texas Tech won't drop 50+ on any Big 12 team like they do most years.

We are not being physically beaten.

We are making terrible decisions. We heard we didn't have the talent level with BB too. Those kids destroyed people Dane's senior year. It's the coaching not the physical issue. We do nothing to make easy plays for anyone. That last touchdown vs Texas was one of the few times we created a mismatch from scheme.

Malazan use to get us into match ups that favored us, through formation, play calls, etc.

You seen any of that lately? Or do we just line up and make a play call?

I’m not sure there are many matchups on the outside which favor us. That....I submit...is the problem. Our receivers don’t look like what I’m accustomed to seeing. Didn’t last year either. Our recruiting has been consistently ranked near the bottom of the conference. Who are our all conference type of players at receiver? We are average at best imo compared to the top half of this conference.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I’m not sure there are many matchups on the outside which favor us. That....I submit...is the problem. Our receivers don’t look like what I’m accustomed to seeing. Didn’t last year either. Our recruiting has been consistently ranked near the bottom of the conference. Who are our all conference type of players at receiver? We are average at best imo compared to the top half of this conference.
Key Garrett, Keevan Lucas, Josh Atkinson , Slick Shelly and Marion "The Milkman" were all excellent TU receivers . Justin Hobbs just isn't on their level ...with his size advantage he should have meat hooks for hands but he drops too many balls. Right now Johnson , Stokes and Neph are our best reliable receivers. By the way, I forgot the cream of the crop Demaris Johnson.

Our recruiting rankings have always been at the bottom.

Of all those players mentioned none had pro careers. Because every one of them was lacking in some portion of their measurables which is why Tulsa was able to get them here. Each of those players did have areas where they were simply the class at that position the milk man's speed for example or his work ethic. Our coaches recognized that and set those players up in situations where they had the advantage.

We don't do that. How often do we throw hard outs high for Hobbs to use his height? How many butt in hooks has he ran where he can use his body to post up smaller d backs?

We rarely try and line our guys for mismatched against defenders and try to exploit our receivers advantages. That Texas td is one example I can think of in two years although I am sure there are a few others. We got a speedy receiver on a lb and then sent him deep where he was faster.

We need to get Neph against small corner backs like we did with Mills and let him exploit his physical abilities against a smaller opponent. We need jump balls high and on the side lines so only Hobbs can catch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUGrad06
Ok In my humble opinion there are 2 glaring issue right now with this team one is our top 10 o-line is not so top 10 they are below average at best right now. All the hype has apparently gotten to there already large heads! The second glaring issue is our play calling!! He has to open this thing up and let it fly and stop being so predicable!!!!!!

Ok In my humble opinion there are 2 glaring issue right now with this team one is our top 10 o-line is not so top 10 they are below average at best right now. All the hype has apparently gotten to there already large heads! The second glaring issue is our play calling!! He has to open this thing up and let it fly and stop being so predicable!!!!!!

This is accurate, unfortunately.

Inability to protect passer. Lack of speed on the outside. = not letting it fly Just my guess

Lawpoke I agree with your assessment on the inability to protect the passer but as far as lack of speed well I have to disagree with you, In my opinion we have enough speed to stretch the field with Johnson and Stokes and also with Hobb's at 6'4 220 lb ....yeah we should be letting it fly more often than not in my humble opinion.

Inability to protect passer. Lack of speed on the outside. = not letting it fly Just my guess
Every once in a while we'll get Johnson to blow by a CB in single coverage... but our line can't protect Skipper long enough to get him the ball. That's what happened to us on the pick six. Skipper needed 2 more seconds that he didn't get.

I remember the season in between when Malzahn left and Morris came in. I firmly believe that if Monty would relinquish the reigns of the offense to someone he trusts it would do wonders for our football team.

Not even Graham can win here without his full cupboard

I remember the season in between when Malzahn left and Morris came in. I firmly believe that if Monty would relinquish the reigns of the offense to someone he trusts it would do wonders for our football team.

Not even Graham can win here without his full cupboard
Graham cracker was a defense guy. He tried calling plays for a year and was smart enough, and ambitious enough, to realize it wasn’t going to work and brought in a young offensive mastermind. The problem is that Monty is the young offensive mastermind so it’s going to be hard for him to admit he needs someone to fill the role he’s always filled.

Remember th article about President that Monty was having chad signal in the plays because Monty had shoulder surgery and how it was a big deal for Monty to let someone else signal the plays. If monty is not willing to let someone else do the signals - for the plays Monty calls! - it’s going to be hard to give up control on the offense generally.

The second would help with the first, too...

Reactions: TU4ever2
Remember when Oklahoma St was just meh.

Then the administration made Gundy give up play calling?

One of the first things Gundy said he noticed the next year was his ability to see the whole picture and key on details that had cost them in games. Gundy wasn't trying to out scheme the defense and worrying about getting a receiver open. He was worried about clock management and the over arching game strategy.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Every once in a while we'll get Johnson to blow by a CB in single coverage... but our line can't protect Skipper long enough to get him the ball. That's what happened to us on the pick six. Skipper needed 2 more seconds that he didn't get.
He needed 1/2 second more on that play...his arm was already moving forward when his arm got hit. QB needs 3 seconds to throw the ball on a 10 yard route,1 second more for a little deeper. Right now he's barely getting 2 which is why everything seems to be a 3 step and out pass.

One of the first things Gundy said he noticed the next year was his ability to see the whole picture and key on details that had cost them in games. Gundy wasn't trying to out scheme the defense and worrying about getting a receiver open. He was worried about clock management and the over arching game strategy.
This is a great point.

I agree - I think having an OC would make a difference.

You are talking about a guy that is so control and detail oriented it is over the top. If not OCD, close to it. Plus, I’m sure he had ambitions beyond our school. Demoting himself, after more than a decade of getting Briles coffee, ain’t an option. He only called plays for the last couple of years at Baylor. He came to Tulsa to prove himself just like any other self respecting person would in his position. He ain’t gonna call himself a failure.

The playbook isn’t written down and there are only a few coaches who know it. None of whom are welcome on campus or available for what we would pay to OC.

In short, he wouldn’t do it and if forced to do so, there are no options.

We are gonna have to ride this destroyer until it sinks or the captain transfers his flag to a carrier.

Reactions: TU4ever2
You are talking about a guy that is so control and detail oriented it is over the top. If not OCD, close to it. Plus, I’m sure he had ambitions beyond our school. Demoting himself, after more than a decade of getting Briles coffee, ain’t an option. He only called plays for the last couple of years at Baylor. He came to Tulsa to prove himself just like any other self respecting person would in his position. He ain’t gonna call himself a failure.

The playbook isn’t written down and there are only a few coaches who know it. None of whom are welcome on campus or available for what we would pay to OC.

In short, he wouldn’t do it and if forced to do so, there are no options.

We are gonna have to ride this destroyer until it sinks or the captain transfers his flag to a carrier.

I would hope he came here to prove he is a head coach. If he wanted to prove he was an OC then he should have applied as one.

The fact that we don't have the capability of giving this offense to some one and having them learn it is a problem. If the coaches can't articulate the goals then how are they suppose to translate it to the kids.

If this is actually the case, we can fire him now, because I can count on one hand the number of successful head coaches who were play callers for their team.

Personally I don't care what kind of offense we run. I care that we win. I don't want an OC for a head coach, I want a head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT