ADVERTISEMENT

Really hard to keep my mouth shut

Yeah, the team has had discipline issues since Monty's 3rd year? It is a hallmark of Briles-era Baylor and it's offspring. It is sad watching us become a penalty machine while the Bears have become one of the most disciplined teams in the NCAA. That said, some context on your specific motivation for this post would indeed be awesome .

Makes you wonder if other Baylor program characteristics will creep in as well.

Reactions: TigerCane16
Being undisciplined in play and being a bunch of raping assholes are two very different things. We aren’t becoming Baylor. We are very undisciplined in the field.

Offensive penalties and defensive line penalties are the product of poor discipline and we excel at that right now. On the other hand pass interference calls can be a sign of an aggressive defense like TCU used to play.

There is no question that Rhule has Baylor playing very good and very disciplined football.

Being undisciplined in play and being a bunch of raping assholes are two very different things. We aren’t becoming Baylor. We are very undisciplined in the field.

Offensive penalties and defensive line penalties are the product of poor discipline and we excel at that right now. On the other hand pass interference calls can be a sign of an aggressive defense like TCU used to play.

There is no question that Rhule has Baylor playing very good and very disciplined football.
Actually the number of false start penalties drastically decreased after game 6 or 7, so obviously the coaches did something to get that to improve. What I'd be more worried about is the number of chop block penalties we seem to get. This is 2 things...poor communication and understanding of scheme among the OL. This also becomes evident when we get flagged for a chop block and there is still a guy that runs free at the QB.

The other thing is the DB technique. Reggie was about the only one who turned his head to find the ball. What happens when you do that? You lead the league in INTs. Most of our DBs were always step for step w/ their WRs and they also showed great ability to recover. Teach them to read the eyes and turn around and find the football.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Hard to stay quiet when you know first hand certain things are allowed to go on without discipline.
Looking for a hint....are you suggesting "certain things are going on" similar to what occurred in the dorm earlier? Or behavior/technique on the field that contributes to the detriment of the team? What does it rhyme with?

Reactions: bigstar18
If we're talking about off the field issues... there were quite a few under Graham / Blank that got either A) swept under the rug, or B)people forget about. Winning makes people forget about a lot of things.

If we're talking about off the field issues... there were quite a few under Graham / Blank that got either A) swept under the rug, or B)people forget about. Winning makes people forget about a lot of things.
Burns' was the worst though. To the point where Burns' was called by Campo and he'd show up on scene. Campo would keep TPD there long enough so Burns' could convince them not to arrest a kid (DUI w/ damage, leaving the scene of an accident).

Kragthorpe was the man though. He essentially let all the players know if you make a mistake, you're going to own it, you're going to pay the consequences, and if there's a way back to the team and university after you've completed that, we'll talk about it.

Graham had some bad dudes around too. Most of them never made a contribution long term though. Graham's son was one of the worst though. I'm sure most people on this board have heard that story.

Reactions: shon46
Burns' was the worst though. To the point where Burns' was called by Campo and he'd show up on scene. Campo would keep TPD there long enough so Burns' could convince them not to arrest a kid (DUI w/ damage, leaving the scene of an accident).

Kragthorpe was the man though. He essentially let all the players know if you make a mistake, you're going to own it, you're going to pay the consequences, and if there's a way back to the team and university after you've completed that, we'll talk about it.

Graham had some bad dudes around too. Most of them never made a contribution long term though. Graham's son was one of the worst though. I'm sure most people on this board have heard that story.

Do tell.

Really? I seem to remember that Blank suspended Damaris immediately. Didn't let him use his redshirt, kicked him off the team. Told him that he could come back in a year. Didn't even let him come back after everything had been adjudicated, made him take a year off. He had games against three top 25 teams to begin the season and suspended his top receiver. He had integrity.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Really? I seem to remember that Blank suspended Damaris immediately. Didn't let him use his redshirt, kicked him off the team. Told him that he could come back in a year. Didn't even let him come back after everything had been adjudicated, made him take a year off. He had games against three top 25 teams to begin the season and suspended his top receiver. He had integrity.
Just because you kicked the kid off the team doesn't mean you didn't run a program that saw kids tend to do egregious things. Thinking also of Jabe Burgess.

Also, the fact that he tried to get Pat Swilling on the team who had been kicked off the basketball team for rape accusations. (Not arguing that Pat Swilling was guilty of anything since he was cleared, but Blank's integrity facade only went as far as what he did to appease the public) Plus, his whining about TU after we let him go wasn't a great look either as far as integrity goes. If you want to look for somebody who refuses to hold himself accountable.... I would point to Blank. Pat Jones holds himself to higher account than Blankenship does for the losses incurred as a HC.

At the same time, I admire Blank for truly wanting to make his alma mater better. I just don't think he did it the right way.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said but you did misstate a fact. Damaris was RS'd for the season he missed because he was going to come back for his last season before declaring for the NFL. He played 3 seasons and set the all-time NCAA all-purpose yardage gained mark in those 3 seasons. Imagine what he could have done with a 4th season.

I may have disagreed with BB's philosophy or offense or even running Green out there continually despite showing he couldn't handle the adversity. I leave my criticism to direct coaching decisions and game plan. I think that is fair game. But he is a man of integrity and I would dispute anyone who feels otherwise. I think most people would think the same about Monty with the caveat being that anything ever came out that tied him to Briles AND knowledge of the incidents at Baylor. We've had some guys do stupid things that played for those coaches, but they usually handled them quickly, mostly quietly, and appropriately.

Integrity is worth a lot in this business but W/L is still the most important factor when evaluating a coach's effectiveness.

Just because you kicked the kid off the team doesn't mean you didn't run a program that saw kids tend to do egregious things. Thinking also of Jabe Burgess.

Also, the fact that he tried to get Pat Swilling on the team who had been kicked off the basketball team for rape accusations. (Not arguing that Pat Swilling was guilty of anything since he was cleared, but Blank's integrity facade only went as far as what he did to appease the public) Plus, his whining about TU after we let him go wasn't a great look either as far as integrity goes. If you want to look for somebody who refuses to hold himself accountable.... I would point to Blank. Pat Jones holds himself to higher account than Blankenship does for the losses incurred as a HC.

At the same time, I admire Blank for truly wanting to make his alma mater better. I just don't think he did it the right way.
You will always have kids who make questionable decisions. College should be a place where they can make a bad decision and hopefully learn from it (with the caveat that your decision cannot inflict physical or emotional harm on someone). Saban went off about it earlier this year because a reported questioned why Saban would give a second chance to a kid who got caught smoking weed or pulled over for a DUI. We're not talking rapists, gang bangers or drug dealers. Damaris got some clothes below retail price. A path was laid out by a judge on how he could get that taken care of (and even removed from his record). I don't recall the specific w/ Burgess but didn't it have something to do with substance abuse? A coach's job at this level, in HS, and before is not only teaching x's and o's, but it's also to help them learn how to act on and off the field, how to be a productive member of society. If you think it's only about the game, then start paying them because the experience of college becomes meaningless (and this is why you end up with guys like Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill in the news numerous times for really negative crap). I'm OK with guys getting 2nd chances. Kedrick Alexander was one of Kragthorpe's 2nd chances...who also paid for what he did and capitalized on that 2nd chance. Saban is right on this. I don't agree with Saban much, but he is right that his role is more than just "coach".

You will always have kids who make questionable decisions. College should be a place where they can make a bad decision and hopefully learn from it (with the caveat that your decision cannot inflict physical or emotional harm on someone). Saban went off about it earlier this year because a reported questioned why Saban would give a second chance to a kid who got caught smoking weed or pulled over for a DUI. We're not talking rapists, gang bangers or drug dealers. Damaris got some clothes below retail price. A path was laid out by a judge on how he could get that taken care of (and even removed from his record). I don't recall the specific w/ Burgess but didn't it have something to do with substance abuse? A coach's job at this level, in HS, and before is not only teaching x's and o's, but it's also to help them learn how to act on and off the field, how to be a productive member of society. If you think it's only about the game, then start paying them because the experience of college becomes meaningless (and this is why you end up with guys like Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill in the news numerous times for really negative crap). I'm OK with guys getting 2nd chances. Kedrick Alexander was one of Kragthorpe's 2nd chances...who also paid for what he did and capitalized on that 2nd chance. Saban is right on this. I don't agree with Saban much, but he is right that his role is more than just "coach".
I don't disagree that players should be allowed to make mistakes. I'm just saying Blanks tenure didn't see him promoting a culture with any more accountability or discipline than Monty's or Graham's. I'm not sure about Krag.

It's pretty standard for any NCAA team that if you screw up with the law you're going to at least be suspended from the team and if you screw up bad enough you'll be kicked off entirely. Damaris Johnson was looking at felony charges. It would have been astounding for any coach to let him back on the team that season. Same thing goes for Burgess although I'm fairly sure he pled them down.

I think the best coaches (in terms of discipline) promote cultures where those things happen less often. But, a lot of kids on successful teams come from poorer backgrounds with worse home lives so it can be hard to balance recruiting successful players and recruiting disciplined players. Girls, booze, money, and drugs always seem to creep in. So far, Monty's only had the one dorm case that I know of. We've had no mentions of sexual assault problems or major alcohol screw ups. No DUI's, no thefts, no assistants fooling around with students. I'd say Monty's tenure has been pretty decent barring the single incident in the John.

Last edited:
Damaris Johnson was one of the most electric players we’ve ever had at TU. Just sad how his career ended. I still believe we had a chance against OU that year if he plays.

I agree with everything you said but you did misstate a fact. Damaris was RS'd for the season he missed because he was going to come back for his last season before declaring for the NFL. He played 3 seasons and set the all-time NCAA all-purpose yardage gained mark in those 3 seasons. Imagine what he could have done with a 4th season.

I may have disagreed with BB's philosophy or offense or even running Green out there continually despite showing he couldn't handle the adversity. I leave my criticism to direct coaching decisions and game plan. I think that is fair game. But he is a man of integrity and I would dispute anyone who feels otherwise. I think most people would think the same about Monty with the caveat being that anything ever came out that tied him to Briles AND knowledge of the incidents at Baylor. We've had some guys do stupid things that played for those coaches, but they usually handled them quickly, mostly quietly, and appropriately.

Integrity is worth a lot in this business but W/L is still the most important factor when evaluating a coach's effectiveness.

He was not redshirted. He lost a year of eligibility but he did not have a scholarship that year and he was not a part of the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT