ADVERTISEMENT

Question on away games next season

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
I don’t know if anyone knows this or not yet , but do have any away games in Florida next season ? Planning a vacation , thanks !

TULSA

Home: North Texas, Rice, Charlotte, Temple
Away: SMU, Tulane, Florida Atlantic, East Carolina

Home: UTSA, Tulane, Florida Atlantic, Navy
Away: Rice, Memphis, UAB, Temple

Home: SMU, Rice, Memphis, UAB
Away: North Texas, UTSA, South Florida, Charlotte

Home: North Texas, South Florida, Charlotte, East Carolina
Away: SMU, Tulane, Florida Atlantic, Navy

We don’t play there next year, but I passed by the North Texas stadium this afternoon. What an odd looking structure.

Reactions: drboobay
We are talking about getting out of the city and doing some hiking as well. Not sure where yet

I really love the Seattle area. If you (anyone) can, take some extra time and visit the North Cascades, Olympic Peninsula, and maybe Mount Rainier as well as try to get out on the Sound somehow.

That's probably a week long trip.

Hoh Rainforest National Park in Olympic National Park (4 hr West of Seattle):
Hall-of-Mosses-Trail-Hoh-Rain-Forest-2.jpg

North Cascades National Park (2 Hr North of Seattle, also one of the least visited / most secluded NP's. Very serene but with fine amenities. A very beautiful drive):

shutterstock_684910513-sourdough-mountain-diablo-lake-north-cascdes-Dmitry-Kovba.jpg

Rainier is 2 Hr South of Seattle but can be seen from the city. If I was picking between the 3 NP's I would choose Olympic and North Cascades unless you intend on doing a Rainier climb (which you shouldn't do without an experienced guide). Then of course you have the Sound and the Pacific Beaches along the Olympic Peninsula.

We are talking about getting out of the city and doing some hiking as well. Not sure where yet
Go down to the Mt. St. Helens area. Fascinating.
The answer here is the Skyline Loop in Mount Ranier NP and it’s not even close. 6 miles and a short drive from Seattle. With one of the best views in the lower 48. Go counter clockwise. Thank Huffy when you get back.

If you want an achievable challenge, hike to the third Borough in MRNP. Trailhead starts at highest drivable point in the park then heads up another 3,000 feet. About 5 miles then a lollipop back, but you’ll Huff and puff.

Naches Peak Loop is much easier with a lake view and Mt Ranier in front of you the whole way. You see a lot of female hikers post parts of this on Instagram in early summer.

Rialto Beach Loop in Olympic NP. It’s basically a beach stroll and easy. Might be a good idea depending on who is in your group. Good luck out there, absolutely bring full rain gear and Gore Tex footwear. Don’t forget the 10 essentials!

Reactions: Henry Kendall
The answer here is the Skyline Loop in Mount Ranier NP and it’s not even close. 6 miles and a short drive from Seattle. With one of the best views in the lower 48. Go counter clockwise. Thank Huffy when you get back.

If you want an achievable challenge, hike to the third Borough in MRNP. Trailhead starts at highest drivable point in the park then heads up another 3,000 feet. About 5 miles then a lollipop back, but you’ll Huff and puff.

Naches Peak Loop is much easier with a lake view and Mt Ranier in front of you the whole way. You see a lot of female hikers post parts of this on Instagram in early summer.

Rialto Beach Loop in Olympic NP. It’s basically a beach stroll and easy. Might be a good idea depending on who is in your group. Good luck out there, absolutely bring full rain gear and Gore Tex footwear. Don’t forget the 10 essentials!
Did half of the Skyline Loop when I climbed Rainier. (You start at Paradise Visitor Center for both, taking the trail up and then breaking off at the Muir Snowfields to go up to Camp Muir before the ascent the next day).

I will say, if you go there, be prepared for a ton of people and not a ton of parking... and if you plan on being near any snowfields for more than an hour or so, USE SUNSCREEN, you will get burnt.

Last edited:
I forgot the Kendall Katwalk. It’s about a two hour drive from Seattle. It’s part of the Pacific Crest Trail. Doable for intermediate hikers. About 15 miles rt and 2500 ft elevation gain. Tops out at 5500 feet roughly. The views are absolutely spectacular. But you pay the price to do it.

About 200 yards of the trail is carved out of a rock face. So it’s 4 feet wide of uneven terrain with an exposed cliff that plummets between 70 and 2000 feet. No chains or via ferrata. Sounds crazy. But very doable. The kind of thing folks in the suburbs put on Instagram to look cool but once you do it you say it wasn’t so bad.

I forgot the Kendall Katwalk. It’s about a two hour drive from Seattle. It’s part of the Pacific Crest Trail. Doable for intermediate hikers. About 15 miles rt and 2500 ft elevation gain. Tops out at 5500 feet roughly. The views are absolutely spectacular. But you pay the price to do it.

About 200 yards of the trail is carved out of a rock face. So it’s 4 feet wide of uneven terrain with an exposed cliff that plummets between 70 and 2000 feet. No chains or via ferrata. Sounds crazy. But very doable. The kind of thing folks in the suburbs put on Instagram to look cool but once you do it you say it wasn’t so bad.

Wow… spectacular. I’ve done trails like that a couple of times, about crapped my pants doing so. At least it’s well-named lol. Thanks for finding this.

Reactions: HuffyCane
So I have a paralyzing fear of heights/falling..to the point I would meet my wife and kids at the other end of the SkyRide at the fair because there was no way I was getting on that thing.
I have a healthy fear of heights/ falling as well. The worst hiking experience I have had was a trail at the top of a ridge with 1000 foot drops on both sides…. I had a pretty embarrassing panic attack.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I have a healthy fear of heights/ falling as well. The worst hiking experience I have had was a trail at the top of a ridge with 1000 foot drops on both sides…. I had a pretty embarrassing panic attack.
I only have that fear momentarily when I’m putting weight on the harness to do a repel off of a cliff. Climbing up the face isn’t so bad though (as long as I’m roped in)

If you ever get to Reno there are some great mountain hikes less than a half hour from town. I haven’t done any quite as spectacular as the one Huffy posted but you get a few thousand feet up and look down on the Carson Valley and it is amazingly beautiful.

I only have that fear momentarily when I’m putting weight on the harness to do a repel off of a cliff. Climbing up the face isn’t so bad though (as long as I’m roped in)
Yikes. I could not do that…I tried and was very unsuccessful. I figure if I need to get to the top that bad….that’s why they invented ski lifts lol

How that thing was built is fascinating. They spent $25 million to build 200 feet of trail to make the final connection of the PCT.

They hired striking log workers to carve an approach trail and haul by mule 1000 feet of steel cable to secure an extended perimeter for a campsite at elevation.

At night, they would drink copious amounts of beer and save the bottles. Which is probably why they needed the cables so close to cliffs. During the day, a worker would ascend in a helicopter and then would suspend himself by rope at the ankles and would mark the trail by throwing the beer bottles filled with red paint to mark the trail a 100 feet or so below him.

Local indigenous workers would rappel over the cliff and carve the trail using hydraulic drills and dynamite the places marked with the red paint. Some of the paint and some of the bottles are still visible today.

As you might guess, a couple of guys died doing this. Nobody got drunk and fell off the cliff though.

What’s more unbelievable is a couple of people die up there every year or so. Very few stumble and fall. Most of them are trying to a take a picture of the cliff and mountain above them or get a group of fellow hikers into the photo frame and simply walk backwards into the abyss.

Last edited:
I remember getting quite nervous next to a window in the WTC. Don’t remember which floor. Same feeling at the top of the Eiffel Tower. It didn’t help that it was a windy day. It was before the movie European Vacation was made, but looking back I can still see that dog jumping off chasing after a beret.

Attachments

• 9343D130-1939-4BFC-BF0F-3A93A04C39CA.gif
    9343D130-1939-4BFC-BF0F-3A93A04C39CA.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
There’s nothing quite like climbing a distillation tower in a chemical plant or refinery and feeling the wind effect on the structure on which you are standing. Most fun was standing on top of a flare stack that was out of service and one that was held in place using guy wires. You don’t realize how much the top of that structure moves in a light wind.

As for the trail, I’ll pass. I’ve walked on some of the trails at Yosemite and didn’t worry too much until one of the park rangers stated that a visitor had fallen off the trail the week before and died as a result.

There’s nothing quite like climbing a distillation tower in a chemical plant or refinery and feeling the wind effect on the structure on which you are standing. Most fun was standing on top of a flare stack that was out of service and one that was held in place using guy wires. You don’t realize how much the top of that structure moves in a light wind.

As for the trail, I’ll pass. I’ve walked on some of the trails at Yosemite and didn’t worry too much until one of the park rangers stated that a visitor had fallen off the trail the week before and died as a result.
Artist Point at Yosemite is well known for selfies gone bad. It’s shocking how many guests ignore the railings to get closer to the ledge.

There’s an entire book, more than 300 pages, with short and simple summaries of people killed in the Grand Canyon from the tragic to the stupid. The guy that mimicked slipping and falling over the edge, as he stood on the barrier wall, because he could see a small ledge below him between the wall and the canyon that his 10 year old daughter standing on the sidewalk couldn’t see is maybe the the most tragic. He thought he would “fall”, land on the ledge and pop up to surprise her. He “fell”, lost his balance as he stood up, based on scuff marks in the gravel, then fell 600 feet straight down.

And those are just the known deaths. The NPS is famous for refusing to discuss details of the deaths in the Canyon because they do not want to deter visits.

Last edited:
There’s an entire book, more than 300 pages, with short and simple summaries of people killed in the Grand Canyon from the tragic to the stupid. The guy that mimicked slipping and falling over the edge, as he stood on the barrier wall, because he could see a small ledge below him between the wall and the canyon that his 10 year old daughter standing on the sidewalk couldn’t see is maybe the the most tragic. He thought he would “fall”, land on the ledge and pop up to surprise her. He “fell”, lost his balance as he stood up, based on scuff marks in the gravel, then fell 600 feet straight down.

And those are just the known deaths. The NPS is famous for refusing to discuss details of the deaths in the Canyon because they do not want to deter visits.
Ironically they’re not shy about telling you how dangerous it is at Yellowstone. The attitude is very much “f around and find out” there. Stories of people being mauled by bears, Buffalo, moose, falling through the crust near hot pots and geysers, drowning in rivers… everything.

If you want something close to home and aren’t afraid of heights, the view from the top of the Yellow Rock Trail at Devils Den in Arkansas is well worth the hike. There are no safety rails on the rock and it’s a long way down.

This park is where HBO filmed the most recent season of True Detective.

I thought that was the area where the sorority girls used to sunbathe on campus?

I was always scared of heights...so I became a paratrooper in WWII and jumped for four years....did not work! Still afraid of heights.
Excuse me for asking, I think you've mentioned it before, but I've forgotten.. Do you mind reminding me of you're age?

My wife did this a couple of times when she had a summer job at a Marathon refinery in Cotton Valley, LA. She absolutely hated that summer and decided not to go directly into the oil and gas industry. She works mostly with oil and gas but as an environmental compliance engineer doing soil and water samples. No more climbing for her, just playing in toxic waste 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT