ADVERTISEMENT

Question about a TU LB

Jun 29, 2017
Blake Landon is a family member of mine. Was curious how he was looking. He's a RS freshman from Edmond Deer Creek. He led the state his junior year (maybe senior yr too) in tackles in HS. Thought Tulsa was fortunate to get him...I'm really happy he ended up there.

Thanks for any insight.

Blake Landon is a family member of mine. Was curious how he was looking. He's a RS freshman from Edmond Deer Creek. He led the state his junior year (maybe senior yr too) in tackles in HS. Thought Tulsa was fortunate to get him...I'm really happy he ended up there.

Thanks for any insight.
Cosmic, do I know you?

There are reasons guys walk-on at linebacker. He needs to grow an inch or two and likely get faster. At his size, he should be a safety, but a listing at linebacker probably means that the overall foot speed just isn't there. That can change. Some guys just need a couple of years of focused training.

As for how he is doing, he is well down the depth chart. Most of the LB positions are filled by seniors with 3 or 4 years of playing time. There are a couple of versatile true freshman on scholarship who will likely play immediately at the Mike and LEO, when Wilson is not in there and Edmiston needs a break. The STAR position is stacked with Whitfield, Cannon and Reeves all contributors you would be comfortable with in that position. The WILL spot is filled by the most experienced and respected player on the defense at any position and is backed up by a guy that the coaches gave special recognition to for having a great spring.

In short, absent devastating injuries or miracle performances for each of his limited reps in practice, it is unlikely that Landon will see the field in 2017. Stranger things have happened though. Didnt Linscott play a couple of snaps as a freshman walk-on? I can't remember.

There are reasons guys walk-on at linebacker. He needs to grow an inch or two and likely get faster. At his size, he should be a safety, but a listing at linebacker probably means that the overall foot speed just isn't there. That can change. Some guys just need a couple of years of focused training.

As for how he is doing, he is well down the depth chart. Most of the LB positions are filled by seniors with 3 or 4 years of playing time. There are a couple of versatile true freshman on scholarship who will likely play immediately at the Mike and LEO, when Wilson is not in there and Edmiston needs a break. The STAR position is stacked with Whitfield, Cannon and Reeves all contributors you would be comfortable with in that position. The WILL spot is filled by the most experienced and respected player on the defense at any position and is backed up by a guy that the coaches gave special recognition to for having a great spring.

In short, absent devastating injuries or miracle performances for each of his limited reps in practice, it is unlikely that Landon will see the field in 2017. Stranger things have happened though. Didnt Linscott play a couple of snaps as a freshman walk-on? I can't remember.
Have you heard how Cannon is looking?

Linscottt played early on and often.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I looked it up. He red shirted as true, then played special teams and spot duty as a rsf. That earned him a scholarship. He lettered three years.

Linscottt played early on and often.
He was a walk-on at Safety and had to play because of injuries at that spot. And he struggled a lot his first 2 seasons at safety and only when Monty came in and they switched him to LB did he really start to shine. He was undersized as a true LB but he had the speed to cover a back or come off the corner as a blitzer. He was versatile as a LB and limited as a safety. Monty has had a knack of putting guys in positions they can compete and win at. Shindelar is next in line to become a great defensive player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT