ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Room

OKTornadoes

I.T.S. Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2022
Obviously the training wheels seem to be off with Brin, and Braxton looked great while he was running the offense. I am curious as to who everyone sees as the next QB. I think Braxton and Williams should compete for it at some point, not quite sure who has the upper hand.

Obviously the training wheels seem to be off with Brin, and Braxton looked great while he was running the offense. I am curious as to who everyone sees as the next QB. I think Braxton and Williams should compete for it at some point, not quite sure who has the upper hand.
Doesn't Brin have an extra year option ???

Doesn't Brin have an extra year option ???
I do believe so, at least he should. I would hope to see him use it rather than do the Jaxon Player/Allie Green/Akayleb Evans routine. The transfer portal sometimes builds a fickle opportunists of even the once most loyal.

I do believe so, at least he should. I would hope to see him use it rather than do the Jaxon Player/Allie Green/Akayleb Evans routine. The transfer portal sometimes builds a fickle opportunists of even the once most loyal.
If he keeps this pace up, with a low amount of interceptions, he might look at reactions from The League.

My concern with Brin is that scouts won’t think he has the physical size needed for the next level. But he has a big league arm for sure.

I was hoping to see Braxton throw it more often when he was in there. He pulled it down and ran a couple of times.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
He would have one left to play. Didn’t think it was possible to use Jaxson Player’s name in the same sentence as those two turncoats. My guess is that he will take the opportunity to check the waters of the league.

He would have one left to play. Didn’t think it was possible to use Jaxson Player’s name in the same sentence as those two turncoats. My guess is that he will take the opportunity to check the waters of the league.
Definitely not the same situation.

About Jaxon, it doesn't appear that he's playing much. He's getting some snaps but doesn't appear to be a starter. He had 1 tackle vs BYU and 3 vs Texas State where the backups seemed to get plenty of plays as Baylor won 42-7. Maybe this isn't going to be the year Jaxon envisioned.

Brin has always been capable. We saw it in the Tulane game 2 years ago. When Monty let's him go and run the offense, he lights it up. When Monty plays not to lose, everyone looks bad...

About Jaxon, it doesn't appear that he's playing much. He's getting some snaps but doesn't appear to be a starter. He had 1 tackle vs BYU and 3 vs Texas State where the backups seemed to get plenty of plays as Baylor won 42-7. Maybe this isn't going to be the year Jaxon envisioned.
Hopefully this situation will be used as a teaching moment for the next several times somebody is considering a transfer to a p6.

Braxton had some zip on the ball. Glad he got some time in Saturday.
The kid looks totally different than the spring game. He’s either worked his tail off and really grown and refined over the summer both physically and mentally or he’s a really good FCS prospect on an FBS squad who struggles against that next notch up level defense in practice and spring games but shows a flash against FCS level defenses. He did a nice job evading FBS level pressure, that’s for sure.

Pride has cost him millions.

Baylor has some absolute monsters on the DL. Probably should have checked the roster first. He had his pick of schools. OU would have even been a better option, but Tulsa is where a talented 6 foot nothing DT actually gets a chance to shine

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Baylor has some absolute monsters on the DL. Probably should have checked the roster first. He had his pick of schools. OU would have even been a better option, but Tulsa is where a talented 6 foot nothing DT actually gets a chance to shine
He’s from there and wanted to go there but they didn’t want him out of high school. I get wanting to play for your home town team and have your family be able to see more games, but this was a costly costly mistake. I only hope he has a good “unofficial” agent who knows they have a free agent deal wrapped up before the move. Because I don’t see him getting many looks unless something changes soon. He would have been a combine player if he stayed here.

He’s from there and wanted to go there but they didn’t want him out of high school. I get wanting to play for your home town team and have your family be able to see more games, but this was a costly costly mistake. I only hope he has a good “unofficial” agent who knows they have a free agent deal wrapped up before the move. Because I don’t see him getting many looks unless something changes soon. He would have been a combine player if he stayed here.
And that's probably a worst case scenario if he stayed.(combine)

Reactions: HuffyCane
100% agree, that was the point I was trying to make. He laid it all on the line for TU and then made a decision based on what he felt was in his best interest. Hoped it would turn out as he hoped, but as stated, the stats aren't reflecting the dominance we all know he possess.

If he keeps this pace up, with a low amount of interceptions, he might look at reactions from The League.
Well for QB's in G5 conferences their play against P5 teams will leave a big mark. The game this week in Oxford and next week against a Cincinnati team that is going to a P5 conference and has been in the National spotlight, especially making the "tournament" last year, will be defining for his prospects.

BTW, Davis Brin leads the nation in passing yards at 1206 through 3 games. Stokes is 3rd in receiving yardage, and JC Santana is 8th in receiving yardage. This has a very 2016 feel to it. BRING ON CMU!

Hopefully this situation will be used as a teaching moment for the next several times somebody is considering a transfer to a p6.
If Jaxon had stayed here for this season the frontal attack of the defense would have been better and he would be making a name for himself in the national spotlight and I would have had him projected as our next top draft pick. N ow moving to Baylor, I think he might have taken himself off that board.

Another example of "The Grass Isn't Always Greener" , Tulsa is having a nice run of players
getting into The League that were not big name recruits . The common denominator is these
coaches have correctly evaluated these players potential and through dedication and hard
work are now playing in the NFL .

Another example of "The Grass Isn't Always Greener" , Tulsa is having a nice run of players
getting into The League that were not big name recruits . The common denominator is these
coaches have correctly evaluated these players potential and through dedication and hard
Add effective guidance to develop their abilities.

This seems to be Montgomery's biggest strength and the biggest potential risk in a coaching change. Not trivial.

Yeah, I think you might even be able to say that Akayleb Evans is in the NFL right now based more on what he did at TU than what he did at Mizzou last year where their defense was dreadful. It appeared he played quite a bit yesterday for the Vikings.

This seems to be Montgomery's biggest strength and the biggest potential risk in a coaching change. Not trivial.
And now that he has taken the training wheels off the offense, I'm feeling much better about the coaching situation as it stands.

And now that he has taken the training wheels off the offense, I'm feeling much better about the coaching situation as it stands.
Have we had a delay of game penalty yet? I don’t believe so. That was “one” of my big issues with a HC acting as OC trying to balance too many responsibilities.

Have we had a delay of game penalty yet? I don’t believe so. That was “one” of my big issues with a HC acting as OC trying to balance too many responsibilities.
But how many times have we had to call timeout early in a half because of indecision about the play call and trying to run on new personnel with 10-12 seconds left on the play clock? This happens way too much and sometimes that early timeout can be more damaging than the 5 yd penalty

But how many times have we had to call timeout early in a half because of indecision about the play call and trying to run on new personnel with 10-12 seconds left on the play clock? This happens way too much and sometimes that early timeout can be more damaging than the 5 yd penalty
In fairness it has been better this year.

In fairness it has been better this year.
Maybe. Do you think Monty signals in 2 plays, one a run and one a pass that Davis can select at the line? This may explain part of the increase in our passing frequency (and the ineffectiveness of our run game without Watkins and Prince). Ideally the QB having the 2 plays and choosing one based on look is ideal for this style of offense.

Maybe. Do you think Monty signals in 2 plays, one a run and one a pass that Davis can select at the line? This may explain part of the increase in our passing frequency (and the ineffectiveness of our run game without Watkins and Prince). Ideally the QB having the 2 plays and choosing one based on look is ideal for this style of offense.
I would like to know if Prince and Watkins will come back to the team? Prince is a senior I believe so if he is not going to be able to play then his career is done. I still think it’s an academic issue. I just pray it’s not a Title IX issue

It’s not fair to the player to speculate.

That said, if it is academic, then potentially one of the explanations for him being on the roster is that he failed to successfully pass 9 credit hours last Fall AND failed to complete an aggregate of 27 hours in the Fall, Spring and Summer. He could have either failed one or more courses last Fall or only enrolled in the minimum of 6 hours, then either failed to enroll in the minimum 27 or unexpectedly failed a course and couldn’t complete the needed 27here are waivers and re-dos to get to the 27.

IF and it’s a big if, he didn’t hit the Fall 9 or 27 for the year, the rules require him to sit out 4 games, if he is otherwise eligible and in good standing with the university.

There are other potential explanations, but this one is common and becoming more common at other schools. OSU had a punter of all people not make the 9 a few years ago.

That’s why I said we will know it was academic if he’s on the depth chart for Cincy after practicing all summer. We aren’t in Vegas and I’m not a betting man, but I’d bet he thought he was good to go with summer work and ended up struggling a bit. It happens. TU athletes graduate from TU at higher rates than the student body at large in nearly every major they elect. But these days, with all they balance and the distractions, even the best students and those with the very best intentions and effort sometimes fail. I just hope he sticks with it. We’ve had several running backs ruled ineligible and leave the team who eventually graduated. We don’t give up if they don’t give up. And the program will be better off either way.

Reactions: loca2874
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT