ADVERTISEMENT

Press Conference

Where are we? What is this? I hear we are a special place. Did you know that?

John Klein wrote this speech.

I like him. I think he will fit in well. Would like some more detail and that is not there. He seems to care about APR and that’s good. It sounds like we will keep some staff in place.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I like him. I think he will fit in well. Would like some more detail and that is not there. He seems to care about APR and that’s good. It sounds like we will keep some staff in place.
Don't necessarily agree. I think he's being nice about the current staff. He will bring his own in, no doubt.

I’m a little worried about what he said about recruiting and hiring coaches. Seems like coaching Ohio State is his priority until after the playoffs.

“We’re going to win”
“We’re going to play exciting football”
“We’re going to put fans in the stands”
“I’m not here for a 4 or 5 year rebuild. I’m here to win right away.”

And then taking about making the playoff.

Paraphrasing there but I like that he’s not speaking modestly about us being Tulsa. Can’t do big things if you don’t set high expectations

What I liked was that he seems to understand the kind of players who become successful here. It's the "two-star" guys with "four star" mentality. Guys like Steve Largent and Zaven Collins. We get the physical phenoms like Charles Clay and Tyler Smith every once in a while, but the program thrives on over-achievers.

I am on board with this hire. He said things I wasn't sure I would ever hear come out of one of our football hires. The mention of playoffs and not getting burned by players or other coaches was welcomed. Also, he mentioned how it was not likely in his best interest to call his own plays. That is a total reversal from Monty.

Rick went on about things but Cannon and Braylon's stories added to the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU Pilot
Straight shooter..I think...more personable than I thought...liked it...think he is a realist...win this conference see what happens... like it

Reactions: dougheffking
He’s not the most polished speaker but he knows his stuff. And he had some low key jokes. It was entertaining

He’s not the most polished speaker but he knows his stuff. And he had some low key jokes. It was entertaining
That was what I was thinking about posting, but didn't. He isn't a Konkol type, that is spit polished. The speech and q&a session got more interesting once he got past that slightly awkward period at the beginning.

Link to Press Conference:

Overall, the PC got me more excited about the hire and the direction he wants to take the program! I like that he got emotional. Shows he really cares and is grateful to the right people who helped him get here.

After the presser, I am even more impressed. I feel like he said all the right things. Seems like he knows what it’s going to take to win here. The only thing I wish is Rick was a little energetic about the hire and he didn’t forget our coaches name 😂

After the presser, I am even more impressed. I feel like he said all the right things. Seems like he knows what it’s going to take to win here. The only thing I wish is Rick was a little energetic about the hire and he didn’t forget our coaches name 😂
I think Rick was exhausted after this search.. I expect it will be his last major sport "fire and hire"

I think Rick was exhausted after this search.. I expect it will be his last major sport "fire and hire"
Yeah I'm sure it was probably one of the more exhausting searches he has ever done, with the deadline, and the # of candidates.

Yes Rick said he told Rick to take care of Braylon and that he told Braylon to back out of portal and return to TU. Braylon called Rick and then had Rick talk to his dad.

😂 I thought the same thing. I was like ohh know he forgot his name ha!

Reactions: goldenhurricane1992
Week 1 after the hire, or week 1 during next season?
Week 1 during next season. We dont know how this will look. We dont know how he is going to change it. I am glad we have someone other than Monty. I like this guy. I even like Monty. Its just I didnt like how monty coached the team. We wont find out how he does until week 1.

Week 1 during next season. We dont know how this will look. We dont know how he is going to change it. I am glad we have someone other than Monty. I like this guy. I even like Monty. Its just I didnt like how monty coached the team. We wont find out how he does until week 1.
Even then we won't get to see him with many of his recruits yet. But yeah that's a good time schedule for a first serious evaluation.

Reactions: loca2874
Just had the chance to watch it. Very much liked what I heard. Anytime a coach mentions the possiblitly of the playoffs here, they win those brownie points. And you can tell he meant everything he said. Admittedly I wasnt the biggest advocate for the hire but always keep an open mind and definitely feel alot more confident after hearing him speak. He knows the game and knows offense. I think the offense will be humming pretty quickly. Interested to see what all changes on defense there will be

Reactions: drboobay
Just had the chance to watch it. Very much liked what I heard. Anytime a coach mentions the possiblitly of the playoffs here, they win those brownie points. And you can tell he meant everything he said. Admittedly I wasnt the biggest advocate for the hire but always keep an open mind and definitely feel alot more confident after hearing him speak. He knows the game and knows offense. I think the offense will be humming pretty quickly. Interested to see what all changes on defense there will be
Yeah, I want to know if we are going to go with a 3-3-5, or have a more traditional defense. I think the 3-3-5 works better for us.

Yeah, I want to know if we are going to go with a 3-3-5, or have a more traditional defense. I think the 3-3-5 works better for us.

Anything is better than running up the middle 3 times and punting. Anxious to see some exciting offense for a change as well as a stiff defense.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT