ADVERTISEMENT

Positive Thread

TULOYAL

I.T.S. Sophomore
Aug 13, 2010
For those of us who will continue to root for this team and program to succeed, I propose we have a thread for positive thoughts only. There are plenty of others for criticism and I do my share, but here are some positive thoughts about this team and program:

-We made all extra points and a long field goal. Improvement from last game.
-Our defense held a good offensive team to 20 pts. I would be surprised if ANY team does that against them the rest of the season.
-Our defensive backs did an admirable job against their big athletic receivers being fed by an outstanding QB.
-Kickoffs and punts are solid and haven't put us in unnecessarily bad field positions
-Shamari Brooks continues to show the ability to break tackles and create plays
- The team responded to being down 20 points and created some excitement to get it close
- The pre game atmosphere and set up at Chapman Commons is really good and worth going to.
- Concessions are plentiful with lots of good food choices from Chick-fil-A and food trucks all over.
- I don't know final attendance, but it looked decent on the west side and there were more parking lot tail gates than usual. Overall, I thought the atmosphere was pretty good.

It's hard to do this without adding the "but we need to improve this or that" but go ahead and give it a try.

Positive comment - No matter how disappointed I am with the performance and results I am a TU fan and will continue to support the team and school. There were some positive things but others that need to be fixed.

Beat Temple! Go TU!

Who said anything about not rooting or cheering for TU? I will continue to cheer for, attend games, and donate money... get off your high horse. We can be unhappy with what we’ve seen and still support the university.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Who said anything about not rooting or cheering for TU? I will continue to cheer for, attend games, and donate money... get off your high horse. We can be unhappy with what we’ve seen and still support the university.
Did I say you didn’t? Did I say anything about anyone else not supporting TU? No high horse here just a former player that will continue to support our team win or lose! Quit taking things personal.

Did I say you didn’t? Did I say anything about anyone else not supporting TU? No high horse here just a former player that will continue to support our team win or lose! Quit taking things personal.

My comment was directed at the original poster. Don’t take things so personal.

My comment was directed at the original poster. Don’t take things so personal.
I didn’t read anywhere where he took others to task either. He stated he has criticism of certain things but chose to start a thread on the positive he took away from the game.

It seems you are frustrated - welcome to the club. No need to take the frustration out on other posters. A great way to work off frustration is to get some of your buddies put on some pads and practice the Oklahoma drill

-Our punter is pretty good.

-Cole Neph will catch anything thrown his way.

-The coupon book that came in the season ticket package was a nice addition.

- The new announcer seems to be settling in to his role.

-The band forming the Prince symbol was clever.

-Best comment I heard leaving the stadium “Well at least the Drillers won the championship”.

-Where’s Goldie?

Reactions: TULOYAL and TU1NNJ
I didn’t read anywhere where he took others to task either. He stated he has criticism of certain things but chose to start a thread on the positive he took away from the game.

It seems you are frustrated - welcome to the club. No need to take the frustration out on other posters. A great way to work off frustration is to get some of your buddies put on some pads and practice the Oklahoma drill
He wouldn't even know what The Oklahoma Drill is NNJ .

Reactions: TU1NNJ

Thanks for the advice. Have a fantastic week, friend.

I loves me some Oklahoma Drill. Especially if Dr Death Steve Williams is involved. Might as well make it a Coal Miner’s Glove Match!

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Skipper had another nice game. 70% completion rate. Had a clear TD dropped by Hobbs (he could have caught it with his hands instead of his knees). And his only interception was due to line breakdown.

The defense performed admirably again vs a good offense. Shamari willed himself to 100 yards rushing. Special teams was ok.

The defense is giving up 5.3 yards a play after giving up 7.3 per play last year. That’s a crazy improvement. And they’ve been consistent across all three games, no huge games to anyone. This is the kind of defense that could help us to a pretty special season of the offense were decent.

Even though I don't think Skipper is as bad as others on here think. You can't evaluate his performance on completion percentage. It's turned into a dink and dunk offense mixed with a running attack. We don't throw deep down the field much at all. Obviously the two main reasons from two years ago is Dane and those two or three great receivers. Hope things change soon, still pulling for this team and not jumping ship.

Even though I don't think Skipper is as bad as others on here think. You can't evaluate his performance on completion percentage. It's turned into a dink and dunk offense mixed with a running attack. We don't throw deep down the field much at all. Obviously the two main reasons from two years ago is Dane and those two or three great receivers. Hope things change soon, still pulling for this team and not jumping ship.
I agree, but I think it’s more to do with protection and receivers getting open than him making those throws. He made a couples medium length throws to Johnson yesterday that didn’t look bad at all.

Reactions: Midwest11
To be honest I think this is a pretty good team! The defense is playing pretty good too have their backs against the wall most of the time. Also I honestly just think it’s Monty, I feel like he still doesn’t trust skipper. Hisbplay calling is what’s hurting us in games. For instance we had Arkansas State on their backs after two 4 yard runs and he throws a slow WR screen, and after making Arkansas punt we run a jet sweep in the end zone. Smh

Reactions: TU Pilot
Skipper had another nice game. 70% completion rate. Had a clear TD dropped by Hobbs (he could have caught it with his hands instead of his knees). And his only interception was due to line breakdown.

The defense performed admirably again vs a good offense. Shamari willed himself to 100 yards rushing. Special teams was ok.

There are lots of positives. We do have some negatives. Really if we just change a few things this team could be very good.

We have a solid offense and defense. A star in the making at running back. An attack minded defense. Clean up some mistakes this team will be good this year and maybe something special next year.

One positive is that even though things aren’t looking good, we may still have a legit chance to beat Arkansas at Arkansas.

The temple game is the make or break game. If we win that one and get to 2-2, then after the Houston game our schedule “seemingly” lightens with 3 straight conference games at home.

The temple game is the make or break game. If we win that one and get to 2-2, then after the Houston game our schedule “seemingly” lightens with 3 straight conference games at home.
I agree. Our home Schedule is pretty fortuitous this season. We have tough road games against Houston, Memphis, and Navy... but we get Tulane, SMU, and UCONN all at home. Plus USF at home who we played closely in their place last season, and a pretty terrible Arkansas team on the road.

We might be Arkansas' only other shot for a D-1 win this season.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Freshmen Zaven Collins & Jaxon Player both look like future defensive stars for TU.
Zaven is a bloody beast. We have had some really good LBs come to TU but Zaven may turn out to be the best...and I remember Barry Minter and Kaz playing and they were some bad dudes. Neither one of them was blessed with the same combo of size, strength, and speed Zaven has (Minter would be really really close...and of course he started at MLB for the Bears for a long time).

I'm a fan of Player as well. Hope whatever injury is nagging him gets healed up soon. He is a key to our 3 man front.

And don't forget...we started 2 SO CBs last week that did a really good job (Evans and Green). Nu Hill came on later and played well. We still have seen very little of Reggie Robinson. Don't forget Grant Sawyer and Deven Lamp.

We are seeing a lot of new faces playing on defense this year over older, more experienced players. Hoping this means they are the better players. Our coverage in the secondary has been lights out this year.

Last edited:
I saw film of the Lovick kid (2019 commit) from his game last week. He is fast and shifty.

Aren't ark st and cen ark both good teams in the fcs?

And texas is a traditional p5 power.

We are probably doing as well as expected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT