ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast on first official day of practice

A couple of important mentions on the podcast:

1. Haith says he will play more man defense this year with the increase in talent. Jerry Wainwright is really pushing the in-your-face on the ball defense that we now have the quickness to demonstrate.
2. Mentioned that everybody is talking about Freshman Josh Early.......a super sleeper who is a skilled big man who rebounds probably better than anyone on the team.

Crossing my fingers that Haith can eliminate that mass substitution pattern early in the year that has been his achilles heel.

Crossing my fingers that Haith can eliminate that mass substitution pattern early in the year that has been his achilles heel.
I really expect we will see the platoon subbing as we have in the past. We have so much talent that Haith will look for the best combinations. Not saying I agree with the approach, but that’s my prediction.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
A couple of important mentions on the podcast:

1. Haith says he will play more man defense this year with the increase in talent. Jerry Wainwright is really pushing the in-your-face on the ball defense that we now have the quickness to demonstrate.
2. Mentioned that everybody is talking about Freshman Josh Early.......a super sleeper who is a skilled big man who rebounds probably better than anyone on the team.

Crossing my fingers that Haith can eliminate that mass substitution pattern
early in the year that has been his achilles heel.

Great info....Thanks

Glad for the defensive switch....I think the new coach selections were
made with that in mind....That will be great news for Joiner, Jackson, Hill,
Rachal Ugboh, Earley and Korita among others....That will definitely reduce
the "open corner threes" for which we have become famous....We almost
surely couldn't have done this without Rachal and Ugboh in particular, and
the new comers as a group...

Earley's recruitment reminds me of the KJohnson story.....A real talent that
wasn't recognized as such by the recruiting community....That doesn't
happen very often any more.....He sounds like a really good power forward
in the making.....

We will have to see how the mass substitution thing turns out....Will Haith
play a lot of players? YES......Will floor time come in too short spurts?
I hope not, but with a squad where the talent is spread across the entire
group, it is more than possible....I'm hoping that the new coaches have
some authority in the manner, and that continuity will be a bigger part
of the equation than in the past......Man defense will dictate that we do
keep better athletes on the floor....That might help some....

It would appear we have more talent than in the recent past....That should
mean a better team that will be competing in an improving, already tough
conference...should be fun to watch.....

I really expect we will see the platoon subbing as we have in the past. We have so much talent that Haith will look for the best combinations. Not saying I agree with the approach, but that’s my prediction.

We have talent, but I think it’s going to separate itself early on. I think we’re really going to rely on the veterans early on. Joiner, Igbanu, and Horne are a cut above the rest. If Haywood and KES aren’t eligible, I don’t know who will start at the other guard spot. Maybe Rachal?

I think Rachal and Jones are going to get a lot of minutes.

We have talent, but I think it’s going to separate itself early on. I think we’re really going to rely on the veterans early on. Joiner, Igbanu, and Horne are a cut above the rest. If Haywood and KES aren’t eligible, I don’t know who will start at the other guard spot. Maybe Rachal?

I think Rachal and Jones are going to get a lot of minutes.
Rachal isn't really a 2 guard. He's not a great shooter and he's going to be too big to guard quick PG's on switches.

I think if we don't get any waivers, Jones + Jackson play at SG. I don't see Rachal being anything but a 3 or a small ball 4. Joiner and Hill look like they'll compete for the PG minutes.

Rachal isn't really a 2 guard. He's not a great shooter and he's going to be too big to guard quick PG's on switches.

I think if we don't get any waivers, Jones + Jackson play at SG. I don't see Rachal being anything but a 3 or a small ball 4. Joiner and Hill look like they'll compete for the PG minutes.

Oh you’ve seen Rachal play in person? Tell me more. You know he’s listed as a guard on the roster, right? Tell me more of your highly informed opinions.

Especially the part about switches. Maybe you have the same inside source TUHarvard did.

Last edited:
I went to the practice yesterday and I sure hope our shooting will improve especially from 3 they weren’t hitting, the only ones was Haywood hit a couple and Horne hit one.

I went to the practice yesterday and I sure hope our shooting will improve especially from 3 they weren’t hitting, the only ones was Haywood hit a couple and Horne hit one.
We all knew this would be a problem coming into this season.

Forgot to mention, the 3 point line moved back this season, so we might be slightly better off than we currently think we are. I'm sure there are other teams out there struggling to adjust.

Last edited:
Oh you’ve seen Rachal play in person? Tell me more. You know he’s listed as a guard on the roster, right? Tell me more of your highly informed opinions.

Especially the part about switches. Maybe you have the same inside source TUHarvard did.
So is Korita, but Korita isn't really a guard. College doesn't use the PG/SG/SF/PF/C monikers, but Korita and Rachal both play like SF's. I'm basing this on Rachal's tape from LSU and Pearl River.

When I think 2 guard, I think guys like James Woodard, Justin Hurtt, or even Tim Peete. Every clip I've seen of Rachal makes me think of Rashad Smith. Very good driving / slashing to the hoop with as few dribbles as possible. Not a great shooter. Quality rebounder despite going up against bigger guys at times. He's got some handles but they're not quite fluid enough for him to really break down a defense or dribble out of a press. That's a classic 3 / wing / SF / guard-forward however you want to call it. He may want to play the 2 so he can get looks from the NBA. Haith may have even said he can play the 2 to get him to TU.... but from what I've seen of him, he doesn't look like a 2 to me. I think Haith will figure that out halfway through the season per usual.

Oh you’ve seen Rachal play in person? Tell me more. You know he’s listed
as a guard on the roster, right? Tell me more of your highly informed opinions.

Especially the part about switches. Maybe you have the same inside source
TUHarvard did.

If you are saying there is maybe too much evaluating of our newcomers
going on after the first day of practice, then I totally agree....It is the rare
JUCO, transfer, or freshman that really shows what they can do from day
one...As the coaches learn their fortes, and put them in their most
comfortable situations, and they learn the other players, they will become
more valuable to the team......Only then, will we know what we really
have.....

Some three years ago, the Juco, Corey Henderson, Jr., looked lost at sea
early on, but became our best outside shooter, and a valuable asset that
won us some ball games.....I think we will see that with this group.....

Last edited:

Yes, Haywood and KES are a couple of the best shooters and they may not be eligible. Actually Gendron has a great shooting touch but he needs the year to really develop into a basketball player. He has a textbook release.

If you are saying there is maybe too much evaluating of our newcomers
going on after the first day of practice, then I totally agree....It is the rare
JUCO, transfer, or freshman that really shows what they can do from day
one...As the coaches learn their fortes, and put them in their most
comfortable situations, and they learn the other players, they will become
more valuable to the team......Only then, will we know what we really
have.....

Some three years ago, the Juco, Corey Henderson, Jr., looked lost at sea
early on, but became our best outside shooter, and a valuable asset that
won us some ball games.....I think we will see that with this group.....

Good points. Tony Heard as a JUCO did not start until after Christmas his Junior year as Shawn Williams the walk-on was still beating him out early. Same with Brandon Kurtz,,,,,not great first 10 games of Junior season. But you never bring in JUCO's unless they have a definite chance to start midway thru that Junior year.

editingandlayout-wSCAy1zJbcUG4

Yes, Haywood and KES are a couple of the best shooters and they may not be eligible. Actually Gendron has a great shooting touch but he needs the year to really develop into a basketball player. He has a textbook release.

That's his dad, when he played the guy got it off quick and smooth. Understood spacing too. That kid may be a steal if he can just become a spot up threat.

Rachal will be one of our best players, not sure which spot he takes,. Either 2 or 3. Our shooting is definitely a huge issue. My biggest concern. I agree Embry and Haywood will be our best shooters and neither may be able to play this season.:angry:

Oh you’ve seen Rachal play in person? Tell me more..
Or any of the rest of the team?? I was sure that someone would attend the open
practices and tell us about them.....

Any info would be appreiated!!

Thanks...

From what I have seen there are close contests at every position. It is troubling that we have no answer on the waiver this close to the season starting. I am worried about our outside shooting. Defense is much better. The closed scrimmage game with OSU will be very important. I think we should sneak Gold in the back door over there.

Based on today's twitter videos:

Blue team:
Joiner
Jackson
Jones
Ugboh
Gendron
Haywood (RS?)

Black team:
Hill
Korita
Rachal
Horne
Earley
Igbanu

Obviously this doesn't mean much at all... but at least it lets us see who Haith likes experimenting with together. Also, didn't see KES anywhere. Weird. Seems like the black team would be stacked in the frontcourt.

Based on today's twitter videos:

Blue team:
Joiner
Jackson
Jones
Ugboh
Gendron
Haywood (RS?)

Black team:
Hill
Korita
Rachal
Horne
Earley
Igbanu

Obviously this doesn't mean much at all... but at least it lets us see who Haith likes experimenting with together. Also, didn't see KES anywhere. Weird. Seems like the black team would be stacked in the frontcourt.
He didn't even mention KES or Haywood once in the interview. Hope that is not an omen of neither being eligible for this year.

He didn't even mention KES or Haywood once in the interview. Hope that is not an omen of neither being eligible for this year.
I think there was a podcast somewhere with the same interview (audio only) and he mentioned them but it seemed to be cut out of the video clips.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If you think Gragg and his staff will get the waiver, you are mistaken. Again, you might look at the process and our personnel in the department.

If you think Gragg and his staff will get the waiver, you are mistaken. Again, you might look at the process and our personnel in the department.

We may not get the waiver and perhaps the dept is to blame but I suspect it’s more the NCAA dragging their feet combined with our administrative side of athletics not being great. Gragg and his staff managed to get the waiver for Josh Johnson in football. Albeit not until the week of the Mich St game.

We may not get the waiver and perhaps the dept is to blame but I suspect it’s more the NCAA dragging their feet combined with our administrative side of athletics not being great. Gragg and his staff managed to get the waiver for Josh Johnson in football. Albeit not until the week of the Mich St game.
God I hope it doesn't take them that long, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm just shocked that so many non G5's have already received rulings. In a lot of ways many of them are similar to the TU requests, and have already been approved weeks ago. All the while, we are still waiting.

God I hope it doesn't take them that long, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm just shocked that so many non G5's have already received rulings. In a lot of ways many of them are similar to the TU requests, and have already been approved weeks ago. All the while, we are still waiting.

Like a teammate of his at Arkansas. You would think if they approved his waiver, they would approve Embery-Simpson’s. Same circumstances.

SMU and UH are still to hear on theirs. I’m not too worried about the timing, just that I haven’t seen KES mentioned anywhere recently.

Why would you do that???? To give yourself a competitive advantage in the
opener against Houston Baptist????
Not really...If you as a coaching staff feel you need whatever advantage that
would give you against HB, you don't consider yourself very good...

Besides, wouldn't you want whatever spike in ticket sales that would/could
come from a positive waiver announcement.....

Last edited:
Not really...If you as a coaching staff feel you need whatever advantage that
would give you against HB, you don't consider yourself very good...

Besides, wouldn't you want whatever spike in ticket sales that would could
come from a positive waiver announcement??
Exactly, not to mention polling / NCAA committee perception in the early season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT