ADVERTISEMENT

Planning for climate change - which communities will do the best

They have the capacity to meet the vast majority of demand on any given day. There are occasional events that exceed capacity and there always will be unless you want to spend a bunch of money on generation facilities that are only used once a year.
I only checked 2019 but in that year there were over 25000 blackout events in California in that year alone. Guess we have different opinions in what is acceptable.

I only checked 2019 but in that year there were over 25000 blackout events in California in that year alone. Guess we have different opinions in what is acceptable.
The vast majority of which are likely cause by transmission and distribution outage events rather than lack of generation capacity. Like "Bird flew into substation and got vaporized tripping a circuit breaker" or "Ice load caused power line to sag and cross phases"

This is kind of what I work on every day. We (the utility industry) are putting a lot of time and effort into improving reliability and doing it strategically and cost effectively to our customers. PG&E out in California has to deal with a myriad of different issues, forced outages to prevent wildfires during high winds (because of their poor track record on the issue) being a major one of them.

I think California gets a bad wrap for blackouts stemming back from the Enron years where non-regulated utilities were allowed to manipulate the energy markets.

The US has drastically reduced output and can continue to do so and it won’t matter

Not great, but as you said, it doesn't matter. Where are we making the most headway is my curiosity.
Pretty sure the headway is due to switching to natural gas from coal as a result of the frac'ing boom.

I know we tend to focus on China’s emissions but India deserves a mention as well. Their emissions are projected to double by 2030. This is obviously problematic for global warming and further illustrates measures by the US will fall well short of the established “drop dead” point. Reality is reality.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I know we tend to focus on China’s emissions but India deserves a mention as well. Their emissions are projected to double by 2030. This is obviously problematic for global warming and further illustrates measures by the US will fall well short of the established “drop dead” point. Reality is reality.

I pretty much mention China & India in the same breath 9 times out of 10.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Focusing on China and India as reasons to avoid doing anything is just more toad talk. It also ignores the industrialized west's responsibility for its being the largest contributors to the human supplied CO2 already in the atmosphere.
While one might take some solace in the recent steps the US has taken to reduce CO2 emissions, it's not nearly enough. For example, Shell is opening a huge plastics plant near Pittsburgh this month that will annually add C02 to the atmosphere equivalent to 450K cars of the road, and even that ignores the other forms of pollution the plant will add to the area.

Focusing on China and India as reasons to avoid doing anything is just more toad talk. It also ignores the industrialized west's responsibility for its being the largest contributors to the human supplied CO2 already in the atmosphere.
While one might take some solace in the recent steps the US has taken to reduce CO2 emissions, it's not nearly enough. For example, Shell is opening a huge plastics plant near Pittsburgh this month that will annually add C02 to the atmosphere equivalent to 450K cars of the road, and even that ignores the other forms of pollution the plant will add to the area.
Show me a single post where I have advocated to not do anything? Stop misrepresenting my position. The point is factoring in the future emissions of China and India there is zero chance of avoiding the drop dead emission levels. Therefore, resources must be used to best deal with the coming changes as they are now a certainty.

Show me a single post where I have advocated to not do anything? Stop misrepresenting my position. The point is factoring in the future emissions of China and India there is zero chance of avoiding the drop dead emission levels. Therefore, resources must be used to best deal with the coming changes as they are now a certainty.
But that's 'toad talk'.

While he ignores the elephant in the room.(drop dead emission levels unavoidable without India & China's assistance) :rolleyes:

Pointing to others as a reason to do nothing yourself is exactly toad talk. It is also just the most current of a list of reasons to sit on one’s hind legs. First it was denying the climate was changing (NOAA and NASA were fudging their readings?), then ’it’s too expensive’ and on down the list. The result is always the same…do nothing.

If we are a leadership country, we should not be waiting for our competitors and opponents to take the lead.

Pointing to others as a reason to do nothing yourself is exactly toad talk. It is also just the most current of a list of reasons to sit on one’s hind legs. First it was denying the climate was changing (NOAA and NASA were fudging their readings?), then ’it’s too expensive’ and on down the list. The result is always the same…do nothing.

If we are a leadership country, we should not be waiting for our competitors and opponents to take the lead.
It’s like I’m talking to my 8 year old…or worse. Again….show me where I said “we should do nothing”. Until such time I will ask once again that you please stop misrepresenting my position. You frankly look stupid. In fact, I have consistently called for action in this topic. Action to deal with the inevitable. What is coming is coming and there’s not a damn thing the US can do to stop it. We best be prepared

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Well, that may be true. But it didn’t have to be that way And giving up early in the 4th quarter is generally not what earns a team respect.

We'll be broke(n), but we'll have a few countries respect. That makes it all worthwhile to spend it all on a lost cause.

Well, that may be true. But it didn’t have to be that way And giving up early in the 4th quarter is generally not what earns a team respect.
I care about the lives of Americans and your main concern is the respect of a few foreign countries…sounds about right.

In an existential crisis whether or not you are broke is beside the point. But It does make sense if one’s goal is simply to maximize the short term fun at the expense of one’s kids and grandkids.

In all this talk, I keep wondering how it is that the Manchurian Poster can justify his presence on the internet. He seems to advocate being extreme in being efforts to fight the inevitable (the fossil and sedimentary record indicates it has happened before) yet, he does not appear to have abandoned his tech and moved to a cave in the mountains to live his zero lifestyle..

In an existential crisis whether or not you are broke is beside the point. But It does make sense if one’s goal is simply to maximize the short term fun at the expense of one’s kids and grandkids.
Didn't mean to post this last night, wasn't finished:

You are quite something. If spend all your money to fix the problem and you don't fix it? Then you need money to combat the problem through measures to alleviate the suffering the problem brings. You have a logical blindness about this issue, and you can't even see it.

And I said broke(n) intentionally. You will be broke, and broken as a leader, broken as a political influencer, and broken in your susceptibility to military attack, as well as broken at home in how your systems are failing. It matters in what you spent it on and how much benefit you got out of it. So money does matter in an existential crisis.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT