ADVERTISEMENT

PGA Championship in Tulsa ....

The cool Sunday weather must have been appreciated by the fans as well!

I have been to all of the Southern Hills Major Tournaments from the 1977 U.S. Open on (I was not in Tulsa in 1958 (U.S. Open) or August 1970 (PGA). I was also at the 1982 PGA, 1994 PGA, 2001 U.S. Open, 2007 PGA, 1995 and 1996 Tournament Players and 2021 PGA Seniors. This year was the best. While the tickets were more expensive the amenities were better. The food was more expensive but I didn't notice because I had an all inclusive ticket. I spent most of my time in the 12th hole bleachers. The bleachers had real seats with back and plastic so no splinters. The 12th hole at Southern Hills is the signature hole on the course. I have seen great golfers like Sam Snead and Arnold Palmer bogey that hole. I spent most of Friday morning and some of the afternoon at that location. I was also there for Sunday from noon to about 4:30 p.m. when the last group played through. I saw all of the golfers play the hole. The hole won, there were few long putts made.

My office is at 65th and South Lewis so I was in the "eye of the storm" all week. I would like to congratulate the City of Tulsa, particularly the Traffic Division of the Police Department. The tremendous traffic moved well and there were few backups. It was nice that I had a place to park across the street and I didn't have to pay $50..00. I figure I paid $1,800 (a month's office rent) to park.

Major golf tournaments like this are Tulsa's Super Bowl. Southern Hills has now hosted 8 Majors, 3 U.S. Opens and 5 PGAs. The 5 PGAs at Southern Hills are the most of any club in the United States. Oakmont, near Pittsburgh, PA has hosted 9 U.S. Open Tournaments., the most of any club. Oakmont has hosted three PGAs. While OKC has an NBA team, Tulsa has "Major League Golf" every ten years or so.

This past weekend was good for Tulsa, for Southern Hills and obviously for Justin Thomas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT