ADVERTISEMENT

Paying Players

So the NCAA is going to require the student athlete travel thousands of miles so the University can earn $$ but the same student athlete can't travel an hour away from school to benefit themselves? Don't see that as a possibility. Even if the rule somehow passed the car dealerships would simply drive down to Norman or Stillwater and film the commercial there imo.

The current California law specifically excludes any payments flowing through the schools. I could see the schools not wanting any part of this mess due to accounting and Title IV issues. They certainly didn't in California.
One of the points in the release was maintaining equity and fairness...I'm speculating on ways the NCAA might do that. And you're right, Oklahoma is a place where a Tulsa area business could easily drive to Stooly or Norman and shoot a commercial. Not necessarily the case in a place like Tennessee...a Memphis business is probably not going 6 hours to Knoxville to shoot a car ad. A SF based company probably not going to LA to shoot an ad with USC or UCLA over maybe getting a Cal or Stanford player. Cost of production goes way up to.

The power is still going to be in the schools' hands. No player is going to be allowed to use the schools' name or likeness in terms of advertising without the schools' consent. The schools are going to be taking a cut of this money.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Well, these players better not have anything related to their school promoted in these commercials. No kids in OSU jerseys slinging used cars. They don't have rights to use those copyrighted items.

It's gonna be like Post-Packers Favre selling jeans. Do any of us really care that Favre wears levi's or wranglers or whatever? (
Your point about using OSU or school branded wear in the shoot is a good point to think about. 95% of NCAA players are probably not recognizable enough to the general public half-heartedly (and mostly not) paying attn to a TV commercial, and especially not recognizable if they're not wearing their jersey or gear. It's like some of the fake jerseys with no logos washed-up athletes wear that have similar colors to their playing jersey but are not covered by NFL/NCAA licensing and trademarks.

The power is still going to be in the schools' hands. No player is going to be allowed to use the schools' name or likeness in terms of advertising without the schools' consent. The schools are going to be taking a cut of this money.
+1

I assumed they would follow the professional sports model and simply identify the player "OU's starting QB _______" as the commercial begins. I see this as more effective than just putting a jersey on the player.

I assumed they would follow the professional sports model and simply identify the player "OU's starting QB _______" as the commercial begins. I see this as more effective than just putting a jersey on the player.
There will be other questions that happen as well. Will players be able to push Pepsi if the school has a contract with Coke. Will the player be able to push any product that isn't in line w/ conference sponsorship agreements? Same with the NCAA? My guess is, with the school, I don't think they'd be able to ID the player as "x-school" player <name> loves Pepsi. It would be taken by Coke as an indirect endorsement by the school for a product that doesn't have the agreement. It's going to get really muddy.

There will be other questions that happen as well. Will players be able to push Pepsi if the school has a contract with Coke. Will the player be able to push any product that isn't in line w/ conference sponsorship agreements? Same with the NCAA? My guess is, with the school, I don't think they'd be able to ID the player as "x-school" player <name> loves Pepsi. It would be taken by Coke as an indirect endorsement by the school for a product that doesn't have the agreement. It's going to get really muddy.

Agree. My argument would be that the athlete is not an employee of the school or the NCAA and is free to endorse any product he or she wishes.

Who wants to set the over under on tax evasion cases for college athletes within 10 years of this rule going into effect?

These kids get to start filing their taxes when they're in school now. I hope they can all afford to pay some CPA's.

Agree. My argument would be that the athlete is not an employee of the school or the NCAA and is free to endorse any product he or she wishes.
Not while wearing or being a representative of said university. And the NCAA is very restrictive with their sponsorships as well...notice how a lot of signage for products/companies that go counter to their deals get covered up in arenas during the NCAA tournament.

It's going to be very muddy.

I'm wondering when this all trickles down to the High School level. Do HS kids need to sign agents now? How are state regulatory bodies going to handle that???

If Lebron James was coming out of HS again tomorrow and this college rule was in place, you would think he would need some people around him. I just see so many problems with this new policy.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I'm wondering when this all trickles down to the High School level. Do HS kids need to sign agents now? How are state regulatory bodies going to handle that???

If Lebron James was coming out of HS again tomorrow and this college rule was in place, you would think he would need some people around him. I just see so many problems with this new policy.
Shoot, if this trickles down, how many kids would you see transferring to Owasso, BA, Union, and Jenks for those opportunities vs. some of the smaller schools? How many cases does OSSAA have to investigate regarding address fraud to be in a certain school district?

Shoot, if this trickles down, how many kids would you see transferring to Owasso, BA, Union, and Jenks for those opportunities vs. some of the smaller schools? How many cases does OSSAA have to investigate regarding address fraud to be in a certain school district?
My thoughts exactly. Excuse my language, but this is going to be a :crap: show. BTW, I think some of that might be going on with our good friend Blankenship and Owasso.

Big schools and blue bloods will love this. It does seem like the natural progression based on where CFB has been going the last 20 years.

This might help lower tier P5 programs because it would be better to be a sponsored starter at Pitt and get paid now than buried on the depth chart at Ohio State for years. However, transfer rules might make it where good players will go play a couple years to get paid, then transfer to the college they really want and can start at.

This will absolutely hurt TU athletics. There's no way to make this into a good thing for TU. TU will not be able to compete with the money even lower tier P5 programs will put up, much less what SMU, UC, UCF, UH, Tulane or Memphis will put up. The rich will get richer and TU will get the same borderline walk-on players TU gets now.

My thoughts exactly. Excuse my language, but this is going to be a :crap: show. BTW, I think some of that might be going on with our good friend Blankenship and Owasso.

Don’t go there Aston. There are 3 players on the current team that are transfers. The rest are home grown.

Big schools and blue bloods will love this. It does seem like the natural progression based on where CFB has been going the last 20 years.

This might help lower tier P5 programs because it would be better to be a sponsored starter at Pitt and get paid now than buried on the depth chart at Ohio State for years. However, transfer rules might make it where good players will go play a couple years to get paid, then transfer to the college they really want and can start at.

This will absolutely hurt TU athletics. There's no way to make this into a good thing for TU. TU will not be able to compete with the money even lower tier P5 programs will put up, much less what SMU, UC, UCF, UH, Tulane or Memphis will put up. The rich will get richer and TU will get the same borderline walk-on players TU gets now.
Every athlete should receive the same amount, otherwise boosters can load up on star players.
And the money should come from the ncaa treasury not the schools.

Reactions: loca2874
Every athlete should receive the same amount, otherwise boosters can load up on star players.
Now you're talking revenue sharing, ala the NFL model and if they did that, there would be no reason for the players to get paid additionally for their NIL

Im a booster. We have a star qb. he has his picture on coffee cups. I can buy all the coffee cups, and he gets his money. How about his linemen, or receivers, or defense?

Im a booster. We have a star qb. he has his picture on coffee cups. I can buy all the coffee cups, and he gets his money. How about his linemen, or receivers, or defense?
Wonder where you got those ideas?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT