ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 Flirting with SMU?

Aresco likely foresaw the value of SMU when making the decision to add North Texas.

TX

Reactions: eastcane
It is not known whether San Diego State or SMU -- two Group of Five schools -- would receive full media rights shares if the Pac-12 chooses them for expansion.

The SMOO and SDSU won’t be offered full rights or money. They would be ‘junior members’, as in some are less equal than others.

It is not known whether San Diego State or SMU -- two Group of Five schools -- would receive full media rights shares if the Pac-12 chooses them for expansion.

The SMOO and SDSU won’t be offered full rights or money. They would be ‘junior members’, as in some are less equal than others.
Read something earlier that said they’d get $10m which would probably end up losing them money,

I mean it’s essentially what the Cusa folks did to come to the aac. They will all only get $2m (vs our $7m) through this contract period… which is 9 more years.
Except they probably quadrupled their TV revenue. 7 to 10 million is not the same.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Except they probably quadrupled their TV revenue. 7 to 10 million is not the same.
True, they went from $450k per year to $2m per year. That’s a decent jump.

I was meaning more from the perspective of the difference in the pay gap between them and us: over 3x more than they’re getting (vs $30m for pac schools and $10m for smu).

I was meaning more from the perspective of the difference in the pay gap between them and us: over 3x more than they’re getting (vs $30m for pac schools and $10m for smu).
They also get much better exposure. Not so sure about SMUs situation.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

It basically doubled. After they left, the dregs signed a deal valued at $800,000. Most folks believe intact it was worth $1 million.

It basically doubled. After they left, the dregs signed a deal valued at $800,000. Most folks believe intact it was worth $1 million.
I’m glad they got more with their new deal, even with those schools… they were worth more than $450k per year that they had been getting under their old deal.

Reactions: drboobay
Read something earlier that said they’d get $10m which would probably end up losing them money,
It won't lose San Diego State money. They're in the footprint and travel would be no worse than their current situation in the Mountain West. Entry into the PAC at a lower amount than the other full members is a steep upgrade in their media income over their current income. SMU, just adding $3M to the annual revenue with the steep increase in travel expenses they'd face should be met with hesitation on their part...although they'll jump at it and lose bags of money every year after their olympic sports are traveling to CA every other week. SMU wouldn't try to do a football only thing and put the olympic sports in the Sun Belt (AAC won't keep them) to balance out the expenses...because they're mighty SMU and their over-inflated sense of worth is ridiculous and publicly well-known

It won't lose San Diego State money. They're in the footprint and travel would be no worse than their current situation in the Mountain West. Entry into the PAC at a lower amount than the other full members is a steep upgrade in their media income over their current income. SMU, just adding $3M to the annual revenue with the steep increase in travel expenses they'd face should be met with hesitation on their part...although they'll jump at it and lose bags of money every year after their olympic sports are traveling to CA every other week. SMU wouldn't try to do a football only thing and put the olympic sports in the Sun Belt (AAC won't keep them) to balance out the expenses...because they're mighty SMU and their over-inflated sense of worth is ridiculous and publicly well-known
I think if SMU goes west they will have a travel partner or maybe two.

Joining the Pac12 is the correct long term move for SMU. The Pac12 is desperate. They will do whatever they need to do in order to add at least two more schools. Emphasis on “at least”

The Big12 is now expected to aggressively pursue Pac-12 schools. Could throw a monkey wrench in SMU’s hopes to go west.

The Big12 is now expected to aggressively pursue Pac-12 schools. Could throw a monkey wrench in SMU’s hopes to go west.
Will be interesting to see how things shake out if the 4 corners schools actually end up in the big12

From what I’ve been reading adding SDSU and SMU is more about adding game inventory for streaming content, large subscriber markets (San Diego and Dallas). That leaves little doubt SDSU and SMU will not receive equal shares as their brand value is not on par with the existing PAC schools.

TX

The Pac-12 can’t add anyone until their remaining members agree to a new media rights deal. Not sure when and if that is going to occur. Numbers haven’t been great compared to the Big12 deal and the schools aren’t thrilled about the number of games to only be available via streaming.

If an agreement is reached I would expect SMU to quickly accept whatever is offered. SMU has zero interest in having UNT, UTSA, and Rice on their schedule. They want out.

The Pac-12 breaks apart if they lose anyone else imo. I assume the remaining schools merge with teams from the MWC and possibly SMU to form a new conference. Lots of moving parts should that occur.

Well, they did vote to put those schools on their schedule and they requested a yearly home and home with UNT.

From what I’ve been reading adding SDSU and SMU is more about adding game inventory for streaming content, large subscriber markets (San Diego and Dallas). That leaves little doubt SDSU and SMU will not receive equal shares as their brand value is not on par with the existing PAC schools.

TX
This is the problem. Fox wants to fill unused streaming inventory. The problem is most of the PAC 12 is worth G5 money in those slots, even if they are unbeaten and ranked. But everyone wants UW money, including SMU.

Fox isn’t eager to make three network deals into two.

It will get worked out.

Well, they did vote to put those schools on their schedule and they requested a yearly home and home with UNT.
Given the other options I do understand the vote. I assume in a perfect SMU world they would have their OOC games within the borders of Texas and join the Pac12.

I'm just sad we wasted our time in the real AAC with Monty & Frank, who couldn't draw any recruits like we were actually in this conference. Graham recruited just as well, and probably better than Monty. Now we've lost 3 teams, and SMU is hoping for a lifeline from a dying Pac 12.

I'm just sad we wasted our time in the real AAC with Monty & Frank, who couldn't draw any recruits like we were actually in this conference. Graham recruited just as well, and probably better than Monty. Now we've lost 3 teams, and SMU is hoping for a lifeline from a dying Pac 12.
This.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
From what I’ve been reading adding SDSU and SMU is more about adding game inventory for streaming content, large subscriber markets (San Diego and Dallas).
Philosophical question: If a game is streamed in a major subscriber market, yet no one watches the stream, did the stream really matter?

Reactions: nevadanatural
They’re definitely desperate. But can anyone blame them? They’re trying to catch a lifeline to keep their program and school relevant in this landscape of college athletics. It sucks that it’s come to this, but it’s easy to see why they’re willing to sell their soul for an invite.

This change would be just another nail in the coffin that’s being built for us. Not only would we lose a longtime rival, but also it pushes us down further into the doldrums of D1 college athletics - the have nots, misfits, and left behinds. But hey at least we’ll have our pals from north Texas state and unc Charlotte to help generate excitement around our programs!

Zippo chance that happens. None. Nobody in the PNW wants to fly their girls soccer team to Dallas. Nobody wants to pay to air Wazoo playing SMU in November. It’s a legacy conference with a regional identity - not the absurd monstrosity of the Big 12 stretching from Morgantown to Orlando and out to Salt Lake.

What you are reading is strictly donor relations.

There’s no room in the PAC unless UW and Oregon move to the Big 10 and all the players on the Big 10 side driving expansion have moved on, in part due to the Presidents involved already got the bigger pay day they wanted and immediately expressed their concern about the distances. Flying to LA is one thing. Explaining to Presidents and faculty members they have to let kids out of school and reschedule exams because the Purdue baseball team has a six game stand in Seattle and Eugene is a tough sell.

Last edited:
They’re definitely desperate. But can anyone blame them? They’re trying to catch a lifeline to keep their program and school relevant in this landscape of college athletics. It sucks that it’s come to this, but it’s easy to see why they’re willing to sell their soul for an invite.

This change would be just another nail in the coffin that’s being built for us. Not only would we lose a longtime rival, but also it pushes us down further into the doldrums of D1 college athletics - the have nots, misfits, and left behinds. But hey at least we’ll have our pals from north Texas state and unc Charlotte to help generate excitement around our programs!
There is no coffin breh. Stop being so got dang apocalyptic!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT