ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 expansion

PAC12 football is pretty much the least exciting brand of college football of ANY D1 league. I’ve never enjoyed the games and only end up watching one here or there when it’s the only thing on late Saturday night.

Reactions: HuffyCane
PAC12 football is pretty much the least exciting brand of college football of ANY D1 league. I’ve never enjoyed the games and only end up watching one here or there when it’s the only thing on late Saturday night.
I became a BYU fan simply because I wanted to watch a game at 11pm and it’s the only alternative to the PAC12 which is basically unwatchable.

The only PAC12 team I ever liked and watched was the Arizona St team that had Jake the Snake, Pat Tillman, Ricky Proehl, and Mitchell FrightNight Friedman. IIRC, ole' FrightNight bounced around some practice squads but never stuck in the league like the others.

the alliance could be bad news for TU if the the Big XII Leftovers decide to raid the AAC. If that happens, TU's only options would appear to be to look West to the MWC or back to the weakened CUSA. Maybe the AAC will be proactive and try to merge all of the Big XII leftovers then strike a scheduling alliance with the MWC.

so where does this leave the remnants of the big12.
If I’m Nostradamus I think 4-6 of the Big 12 leftovers end up in the AAC.

I can’t see any reason for AAC teams to go to the Big 12, the SEC doesn’t want any of the leftovers, they aren’t good enough academically for the Big 10, and they don’t add enough value for the PAC 12 to extend their conference that far geographically.

I suppose they could go to the MWC, but if the Big 12 doesn’t survive this, the AAC is the 5th best conference. And quite frankly even if the remnants of the Big 12 stay together and keep the conference at 8, one could easily argue the AAC is better than that group of 8 too.

Reactions: TU 1978
does the aac have more to offer financially than the big12 leftovers
My hope would be that ESPN sweetens the pot for the AAC and pushes for inclusion as a P5, otherwise the answer is no.

If the remaining 8 stay together they raid 4 from the AAC imo. If 2 or more get P4 invites then the AAC picks off whose left. The latter is obviously the preferred scenario. The picture should get clearer in the next 30 days imo

The only thing the remnant of the Big12 has right now is brand and it’s taken a huge hit. Really could go either way with who picks off who

Last edited:
The alliance talk between the ACC, PAC12 & Big10 is very ominous for the remnants of Big12: They don't even rate a seat at the table. So even if Big12 remnants raid the AAC or MWC they will still be nothing but a G5 conference. As of right now I see a 2 tier FBS strategy: The new P4 in tier 1 and the old G5 in tier 2. The 12 play-off teams will all come from the P4. I think ISU, OSU, WV and maybe TT will realize this & beg for inclusion somewhere in the new P4. AAC & MWC will most likely pick up the stale leftovers.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and 4tu2
The only PAC12 team I ever liked and watched was the Arizona St team that had Jake the Snake, Pat Tillman, Ricky Proehl, and Mitchell FrightNight Friedman. IIRC, ole' FrightNight bounced around some practice squads but never stuck in the league like the others.
Arizona state does have some assets

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Arizona State is an imminent juggernaut. Massive school in a great area with access to Cali. No academic requirements.

No reason why they can’t be a top 20 program year in year out.

The USC team with Matt Leinhart and Reggie Bush was fun to watch. The other one that was fun to watch was the Arizona Desert Swarm team. That D was flat out nasty

From the article the commish is all about Vegas. Expansion includes UNLV and Nevada.

GO TU!!!!!

• Haha
From the article the commish is all about Vegas. Expansion includes UNLV and Nevada.

GO TU!!!!!
He was all about Vegas but did not say expansion would include UNLV and Nevada. At least in the article I posted.

No matter how much of a pandora’s box gambling is, especially college level, adding UNLV might be a smart play.

On a LV note while I’m at it, I looked at Raiders-Cowboys tix for Thanksgiving. Wowza! I went to Game 7 of the 2014 World Series for cheaper than that. What a joke! The NFL sucks and USC still sucks.

Last edited:
No matter how much of a pandora’s box gambling is, especially college level, adding UNLV might be a smart play.

On a LV note while I’m at it, I looked at Raiders-Cowboys tix for Thanksgiving. Wowza! I went to Game 7 of the 2014 World Series for cheaper than that. What a joke! The NFL sucks and USC still sucks.
UNLV is in a mode below Tulsa football in 2001 right now.

You’d have to be a gambling man to think UNLV football is going to be a thing with the Raiders in town now.

PAC12=elitist & under-performing. They live off of reputation from 20+ years ago, but there are a helluva lot of eyes on the left coast, and unfortunately that’s what all of this is about. Eyes = Viewers = $$$

I expect something to leak out in the next ten to fourteen days. My guess would be for the Pac12 to add one or two schools. I believe we will eventually see the larger football schools break away from the NCAA and form their own association. Not sure what the conference structure will look like.

I expect something to leak out in the next ten to fourteen days. My guess would be for the Pac12 to add one or two schools. I believe we will eventually see the larger football schools break away from the NCAA and form their own association. Not sure what the conference structure will look like.
You’re probably better connected on this, but I would think if they add any teams they will add 4. That would allow 2 divisions of 8 teams. It would allow all the California, Oregon and Washington teams to be together, like the old PAC-8. I think the key is to keep USC happy & keeping them playing their old rivals would do that.

My head tells me you are right. My gut tells me that it’s the start of school and the start of the season. Nobody with decision making authority wants to deal with that now. All the movement we saw happened during that weird two week stretch when guys are back from vacation and camps are over and kids are coming to visit but coaches can’t do home visits. For Presidents it happened three weeks into the school year. The budget funds for the first quarter have been released, most of the start of the year plans are set and there’s a pause before the kids come back. There was room for issues like this. Now school is starting, so Presidents are worried about the headaches with that. The ADs are putting on games, raising money and making sure the rowing team has enough left handed double spanners for the regatta or whatever. If there’s movement, I think it happens in late November when we have good ratings and streaming numbers for this year.

The decisions being made today (or this fall) by the Pac12, Big10 and ACC (the Alliance) aren’t about the next 3 or 4 years imo. These decisions are about the next several decades and have one central theme….do whatever we can to keep the SEC in check. The SEC isn’t done. They will eventually come for the likes of Clemson, Florida State and possibly a couple of other ACC schools and there is very little the ACC can do to thwart such a move in the long term .

Thus, I don’t believe the Alliance members will be concerned with short term conference scheduling issues. They will be focused on adding the best available programs to counter the southeastern power when they formally combine down the road. They will paint themselves as a true academic and athletic association while the SEC has abandoned the pretext of student athletics. Trying to take the high ground of you will. We can argue whether such a position is disingenuous.

I’m with Huffy in I’m not sure we will get an “official” announcement but I do expect enough information to begin to leak to know what to expect from these schools as far as expansion and partnerships going forward.

Arizona State is an imminent juggernaut. Massive school in a great area with access to Cali. No academic requirements.

No reason why they can’t be a top 20 program year in year out.
Not sure I’d call Phoenix metro a “great area”, but to each their own. You couldn’t possibly pay me enough to live in Phoenix. California traffic without the weather or beaches. No thanks. Tucson, now there’s a nice area. :)

I did my Master’s at U of A, and my wife did her undergrad and Master‘s there. Screw ASU and screw Tempe!

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT