ADVERTISEMENT

Our President shows his toughness.

Temporary cost vs permanent cost. The supply and demand will balance in the oil market. You can’t decrease global warming.

It’s essentially a temporary cost now vs a longer cost later.

I see you’re still having issues grasping science, basic mathematics and counties like China and India who simply don’t give a damn.

I see you’re still having issues grasping science, basic mathematics and counties like China and India who simply don’t give a damn.
I understand that they're developing nations who are going to be millstones around the neck of change. I also understand that doing nothing and burying our head in the sand is also not an option. You're of the opinion that we can adapt to live with climate change. Nothing we have done so far has made that evident. The world will not sustain the current level of population and industry without drastic changes to how we function as a society, and that's a problem that will continue long after us.

I understand that they're developing nations who are going to be millstones around the neck of change. I also understand that doing nothing and burying our head in the sand is also not an option. You're of the opinion that we can adapt to live with climate change. Nothing we have done so far has made that evident. The world will not sustain the current level of population and industry without drastic changes to how we function as a society, and that's a problem that will continue long after us.
No, what he is saying is that we could bankrupt our nation with the green new deal and it still wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't be enough to combat the problems India & China will cause because they won't change. We still wouldn't hit the marks that will take the temp down to something manageable. Thus we better start putting our tech into dealing with the issue.

Reactions: TUMe
I’m of the opinion that there is very little the US can do to avoid the numbers the scientific community has told us is the point of no return. Developing countries are going to continue to increase their CO2 emissions at a rate which will dwarf whatever the US can achieve as far as reductions. Again…it’s simple math. We are far too focused on a strategy which is guaranteed to fail. We need to start looking at living in a warmer wetter climate and sink some money into that scenario. It’s coming faster than some want to admit regardless of whether we produce our own oil for consumption or buy it from Saudi, Iran, Venz, etc….

I support clean energy. I support reducing emissions in a reasonable manner which still ensures we have enough economically viable energy as the switch is made. Energy is a national security issue. Act like it. We are currently in an energy crisis. A crisis which will likely get worse. Biden needs to meet with the O&G companies and make compromises to get more production….today.

This would be a more reasonable argument if it was about anticipated increases.

If we had more than about than two weeks to deal with this war and Russia's turning it into a world crisis. Instead, we are faced with which bad choice to take. But there is little room for our president to worry about 25 or 30 years from now and global warming.

We gave away some of the things that we need now. Putin saw his chance after Afghanistan. Biden is not ready for the Big Leagues. He is going to Texas to talk about other things. And in the meantime, he is "studying" this.

No, what he is saying is that we could bankrupt our nation with the green new deal and it still wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't be enough to combat the problems India & China will cause because they won't change. We still wouldn't hit the marks that will take the temp down to something manageable. Thus we better start putting our tech into dealing with the issue.
Dealing with the issue will not work. It will just perpetuate the issue. A better method would be helping the Chinese and the Indians reach their targets.

I’m of the opinion that there is very little the US can do to avoid the numbers the scientific community has told us is the point of no return. Developing countries are going to continue to increase their CO2 emissions at a rate which will dwarf whatever the US can achieve as far as reductions. Again…it’s simple math. We are far too focused on a strategy which is guaranteed to fail. We need to start looking at living in a warmer wetter climate and sink some money into that scenario. It’s coming faster than some want to admit regardless of whether we produce our own oil for consumption or buy it from Saudi, Iran, Venz, etc….

I support clean energy. I support reducing emissions in a reasonable manner which still ensures we have enough economically viable energy as the switch is made. Energy is a national security issue. Act like it. We are currently in an energy crisis. A crisis which will likely get worse. Biden needs to meet with the O&G companies and make compromises to get more production….today.
Talking about living with a warmer climate is just asinine. That’s like talking about learning to live with the Black Plague. The amount of turmoil and destruction simply related to people competing for dwindling liveable land will make Ukraine look like Child’s play. Bankrupting the country is the least of our worries in this scenario.

My perspective is that the conflicts that will arise from mass migrations, droughts, food shortages, etc… will ultimately lead to a point that nuclear war is inevitable and the whole effort will be useless. We aren’t going to live with this. It’s not possible. This isn’t just air conditioning and trimming forests. The desire of people for a limited amount of live-able land will be insurmountable and lead to international conflict. We’re already seeing the results in the mass migration from Central America to the US due to their drought conditions.

If you don’t think that we’re going to be able to fund a move to reliable and renewable energy then you should be supporting a space program to find a new home, because if you don’t, this one won’t be useable for some of your progeny.

Talking about living with a warmer climate is just asinine. That’s like talking about learning to live with the Black Plague. The amount of turmoil and destruction simply related to people competing for dwindling liveable land will make Ukraine look like Child’s play. Bankrupting the country is the least of our worries in this scenario.

My perspective is that the conflicts that will arise from mass migrations, droughts, food shortages, etc… will ultimately lead to a point that nuclear war is inevitable and the whole effort will be useless. We aren’t going to live with this. It’s not possible. This isn’t just air conditioning and trimming forests. We’re already seeing the results in the mass migration from Central America to the US due to their drought conditions.

If you don’t think that we’re going to be able to fund a move to reliable and renewable energy then you should be supporting a space program to find a new home, because if you don’t, this one won’t be useable for some of your progeny.
Not nearly asinine as continuing to believe in actions which are mathematically certain to fail. Not nearly as asinine as believing China and India are going to wake up and start the kind of meaningful reductions which are needed TODAY in order to avoid crossing that emissions line. I’ve been talking about the need for a plan “B” for years while you have been living in a fantasy. Even today with the continued actions of the likes of China, India and others you still are unwilling to face the reality of the situation.

I reject the idea that a warmer and wetter climate means the end for mankind. There is zero evidence to support such a idea. We all better hope mankind can adjust because it’s coming and there’s little the US can do avoid the same. Probably time to start diverting some money to Plan B. Yet there will be those who still want to spend all our money and resources on a plan destined for failure. Now that is the definition of asinine.

Reactions: TUMe and Gmoney4WW
Not nearly asinine as continuing to believe in actions which are mathematically certain to fail. Not nearly as asinine as believing China and India are going to wake up and start the kind of meaningful reductions which are needed TODAY in order to avoid crossing that emissions line. I’ve been talking about the need for a plan “B” for years while you have been living in a fantasy. Even today with the continued actions of the likes of China, India and others you still are unwilling to face the reality of the situation.

I reject the idea that a warmer and wetter climate means the end for mankind. There is zero evidence to support such a idea. We all better hope mankind can adjust because it’s coming and there’s little the US can do avoid the same. Probably time to start diverting some money to Plan B. Yet there will be those who still want to spend all our money and resources on a plan destined for failure. Now that is the definition of asinine.
Saying that those nations are incapable of adaptation is just wrong. Yes, they are going to thorns in our side, but that doesn’t mean they are incapable of making the changes necessary.

The climate is not getting “wetter” we have greatly decreased snowpack in many areas of the Western US causing extensive droughts in places like the US southwest. We cope with these droughts by tapping into aquifers with finight capacities.

What is going to happen is tropical places (which we in the US don’t really have access to. Even the PNW has been experiencing drought conditions) will become wetter while dry places like the entire grain producing area of the US will become drier. There is going to be a global shift in the areas of land that are inhabitable. That will lead to conflict. If you don’t believe that, look at history. The Mayan population saw long cycles of boom and bust rain cycles which lead to ongoing conflict between their communities and eventually to their collapse. The same droughts ended the Anasazi tribes due to inter community conflicts in the New Mexico area.

Also, there is no proof that the changes we are making are bankrupting our country. What’s bankrupting our country is being the world police and having a Society that refuses to address economic issues because of our lack of ability to acknowledge and address problems in a timely manner.

Reactions: watu05
Saying that those nations are incapable of adaptation is just wrong. Yes, they are going to thorns in our side, but that doesn’t mean they are incapable of making the changes necessary.

The climate is not getting “wetter” we have greatly decreased snowpack in many areas of the Western US causing extensive droughts in places like the US southwest. We cope with these droughts by tapping into aquifers with finight capacities.

What is going to happen is tropical places (which we in the US don’t really have access to. Even the PNW has been experiencing drought conditions) will become wetter while dry places like the entire grain producing area of the US will become drier. There is going to be a global shift in the areas of land that are inhabitable. That will lead to conflict. If you don’t believe that, look at history. The Mayan population saw long cycles of boom and bust rain cycles which lead to ongoing conflict between their communities and eventually to their collapse. The same droughts ended the Anasazi tribes due to inter community conflicts in the New Mexico area.

Also, there is no proof that the changes we are making are bankrupting our country. What’s bankrupting our country is being the world police and having a Society that refuses to address economic issues because of our lack of ability to acknowledge and address problems in a timely manner.

The climate will in fact get wetter as the earth warms. History and science tells us as much.

Asia shows very little actual signs of significant emission reductions. The measures they are taking today will impact emissions over the next 20 plus years. Are they capable…yes. Will they….the actual evidence says no. I prefer to make evaluations and plans based on actual events rather than wild fantasies which have failed to materialize again and again. For those expecting Asia to decrease emissions anytime soon….good luck. It isn’t happening. We better plan accordingly. Following a path guaranteed to fail is foolhardy. Yet some still chose said path. The lack of basic understanding on this topic is dumbfounding. With an emphasis on “dumb” :)

Dealing with the issue will not work. It will just perpetuate the issue. A better method would be helping the Chinese and the Indians reach their targets.
You can't help a govt/country that doesn't want be helped, isn't willing to be helped, won't spend the time and effort to be helped. Even if every country spent all the time, effort, and money 💰 to get themselves in line, we might still miss the temperature deadlines. It's not going to happen. Perpetuating the issue, and dealing with it technologically is the only real option.

We don't want a WW III. But no matter what we do, it is very likely to happen unless Putin dies or is defeated soon. Pretending we can avoid Climate Change, is akin to pretending a WW isn't on the immediate horizon. Not planning for either one is asinine. So we plan for it one week before it happens?

China and India wouldn’t even join us and the rest of the world on condemning Putin’s invasion of the Ukraine. Expecting them to listen to the US and EU and reverse their positions on fossil fuel is one of the craziest ideas I’ve seen floated. Asia will continue to increase emissions from todays level for the next 20 plus years. Rainbow and unicorns still exist for some I suppose. It’s coming. We better have a working plan to best deal with the same. Putting our head in the sand like many are suggesting simply won’t work

The climate will in fact get wetter as the earth warms. History and science tells us as much.

Asia shows very little actual signs of significant emission reductions. The measures they are taking today will impact emissions over the next 20 plus years. Are they capable…yes. Will they….the actual evidence says no. I prefer to make evaluations and plans based on actual events rather than wild fantasies which have failed to materialize again and again. For those expecting Asia to decrease emissions anytime soon….good luck. It isn’t happening. We better plan accordingly. Following a path guaranteed to fail is foolhardy. Yet some still chose said path. The lack of basic understanding on this topic is dumbfounding. With an emphasis on “dumb” :)
Key word “Many* parts of the world will be wetter.” Just as Many* parts of the world will be drier as higher temperatures will lead to quicker evaporation, and high volumes of rain in a short period are not good for growing crops as they lead to excess runoff.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/12/climate-change-humidity-paradox/

Simply stating that increased relative humidity is a good thing for some areas does not actually account for the expected change in the whole system.

You should also do some reading about how the human body reacts to the combination of heat and humidity. At a certain point (which is getting close in some high humidity environments) your body literally can’t function properly. Your ability to shed heat by sweating is overcome by the vapor density in the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
Key word “Many* parts of the world will be wetter.” Just as Many* parts of the world will be drier as higher temperatures will lead to quicker evaporation, and high volumes of rain in a short period are not good for growing crops as they lead to excess runoff.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/12/climate-change-humidity-paradox/
Your cited article does not match what we’ve have generally seen throughout the earths history as the earth warms. That said….this is even more evidence that we need to invest money and efforts into dealing with the inevitable….a warmer climate.

Your cited article does not match what we’ve have generally seen throughout the earths history as the earth warms. That said….this is even more evidence that we need to invest money and efforts into dealing with the inevitable….a warmer climate.
Yeah. Get people super suits filled with ice so they can go outside to harvest their failing crops.

Yeah. Get people super suits filled with ice so they can go outside to harvest their failing crops.
Would have the same degree of success as relying on Asia to cut emissions to the point where we stay below the scientific point of no return. Ironic you are advocating both as solutions :)

China and India wouldn’t even join us and the rest of the world on condemning Putin’s invasion of the Ukraine. Expecting them to listen to the US and EU and reverse their positions on fossil fuel is one of the craziest ideas I’ve seen floated. Asia will continue to increase emissions from todays level for the next 20 plus years. Rainbow and unicorns still exist for some I suppose. It’s coming. We better have a working plan to best deal with the same. Putting our head in the sand like many are suggesting simply won’t work
Only about 5% of the US oil supply is Russian, and we are a small client for them. Germany is unlikely to stop purchasing Russian oil and gas, and is a major client. So I am sure you are opposed to the Russian oil embargo just announced, right? Same logic.

We should be a leader, and show the world what is possible on this front. Not throw up our hands and say, "Oh well, China says no so I guess we'll just not even try"

I do agree that we are unlikely to avoid a major climate upheaval of some type, but it will have to be addressed at some point, even if it is 50 years from now. No reason not to start now.

And yes, also work on mitigation strategies and coping strategies.

Only about 5% of the US oil supply is Russian, and we are a small client for them. Germany is unlikely to stop purchasing Russian oil and gas, and is a major client. So I am sure you are opposed to the Russian oil embargo just announced, right? Same logic.

We should be a leader, and show the world what is possible on this front. Not throw up our hands and say, "Oh well, China says no so I guess we'll just not even try"

I do agree that we are unlikely to avoid a major climate upheaval of some type, but it will have to be addressed at some point, even if it is 50 years from now. No reason not to start now.

And yes, also work on mitigation strategies and coping strategies.
I am not necessarily opposed to the embargo. It’s the right thing to do imo. I do believe it’s important to secure a substitute supplier for the 8% or so petroleum we import from Russia. It doesn’t look like domestic production will be able to fill that void anytime soon.

As far as climate change, I do agree it will have to be addressed at some time. I simply don’t believe Asia is anywhere near to point where they are willing to make the changes necessary to do the same. Unfortunately, there is very little we can do to change that position. Which is why I favor investment in mitigation and coping with what we all should know is coming.

As the climate heats up, the other issue will be mass migration away from the equatorial areas to cooler, more temperate zones. IOW here. If we think there is an immigration issue now, wait until the climate forces everyone north.

The other issue is 'tipping points' or points at which the changes are irreversible, at least within a millenia. The longer we put those off the better it will be for our kids and grand kids.

Anyone read "Ministry of the Future" or "The Water Knife"? Sketches about possible futures that illustrate the possibilities.

Back on our President, which many on here would rather not do, I noticed something today.

Biden seems to really want to avoid pissing off Putin. If standing alone that makes sense in a warped way. But then he calls Putin a war criminal. That is undeniably true but doesn't fit the "Don't piss Putin off" logic. What it does fit is the random statements that sometime come from our president mouth.

Oh well, two more days till he is back in Delaware.

Back on our President, which many on here would rather not do, I noticed something today.

Biden seems to really want to avoid pissing off Putin. If standing alone that makes sense in a warped way. But then he calls Putin a war criminal. That is undeniably true but doesn't fit the "Don't piss Putin off" logic. What it does fit is the random statements that sometime come from our president mouth.

Oh well, two more days till he is back in Delaware.
Not pissing him off makes sense in the sense that his finger is not far from the nuclear holocaust button.

Doesn't matter if you are standing alone or in a long line of allies if he's crazy enough to push the button.

Biden has evolved his position to follow that of Europe. His initially reaction was to infer the US would look the other way if Putin only invaded the eastern part of Ukraine. He then said he would provide no arms to Ukraine out of fear provoking Putin. European leaders are now labeling Putin a war criminal so I assume Biden is now on that train as well

As the climate heats up, the other issue will be mass migration away from the equatorial areas to cooler, more temperate zones. IOW here. If we think there is an immigration issue now, wait until the climate forces everyone north.

The other issue is 'tipping points' or points at which the changes are irreversible, at least within a millenia. The longer we put those off the better it will be for our kids and grand kids.

Anyone read "Ministry of the Future" or "The Water Knife"? Sketches about possible futures that illustrate the possibilities.
the immagrants should head for the canadian border. it cooler up there.

Biden has evolved his position to follow that of Europe. His initially reaction was to infer the US would look the other way if Putin only invaded the eastern part of Ukraine. He then said he would provide no arms to Ukraine out of fear provoking Putin. European leaders are now labeling Putin a war criminal so I assume Biden is now on that train as well
I just think he’s walking as fine a line as he can between full confrontation and holding back just enough to prevent actual warfare between the US or it’s treaty allies and Russia. Selling, or even gifting, weapons is not in itself an act of war. Neither is denouncing another world leader. But the intentions of everyone are now clear. We want a free and independent Ukraine that has the continued ability to defend itself from Russian aggression if necessary. Russia wants the opposite. We will do everything short of actual military engagement to achieve that.

One thing is for certain Russia is wasting far more blood and treasure to achieve their goal than we are. (Largely due to the admirable bravery of the Ukrainian people)

Last edited:
I just think he’s walking as fine a line as he can between full confrontation and holding back just enough to prevent actual warfare between the US or it’s treaty allies and Russia. Selling, or even gifting, weapons is not in itself an act of war. Neither is denouncing another world leader. But the intentions of everyone are now clear. We want a free and independent Ukraine that has the continued ability to defend itself from Russian aggression if necessary. Russia wants the opposite. We will do everything short of actual military engagement to achieve that.

One thing is for certain Russia is wasting far more blood and treasure to achieve their goal than we are. (Largely due to the admirable bravery of the Ukrainian people)
A billion still isn't chump change.

It's a good change to see a president working his way through a difficult maze intelligently instead of just pretending to look 'tough'. Biden has some wins here in the rehabilitation of NATO and actually creating a policy which has the support of most of a divided country. We will learn a lot of lessons in retrospect and see things we could have done better. But for now I much prefer intelligence to bluster.

Biden’s approval rating among independents now sits at 27% 😱😱😱

So it does say that only 27% of independents rate his as positive. I'm curious, and I can't find the actual results of the report, but I'm wondering what the choices of the poll were? Was it Positive v. Negative or was it one of the slightly positive, very positive, neutral things.

So it does say that only 27% of independents rate his as positive. I'm curious, and I can't find the actual results of the report, but I'm wondering what the choices of the poll were? Was it Positive v. Negative or was it one of the slightly positive, very positive, neutral things.
“Overall, do you approve or disapprove of the way Joe Biden is handling his job as President”. Pretty standard poll question.

How did the White House allow this to be the pic of Joe leaving for Europe?

It's a good change to see a president working his way through a difficult maze intelligently instead of just pretending to look 'tough'. Biden has some wins here in the rehabilitation of NATO and actually creating a policy which has the support of most of a divided country. We will learn a lot of lessons in retrospect and see things we could have done better. But for now I much prefer intelligence to bluster.
Biden is a liar. But he isn't a good liar. Deter is an example. He says he never thought sanctions would deter Putin. However, the networks (or the ones who are not defending Biden at all costs) can show films of him saying that it would deter Putin, only weeks ago. Everything he says is situation based on what sounds good at the moment.. One of his big mistakes is understanding that the American people are not stupid. Look at the polls.

Biden can't even work through the maze of what he has said a few weeks or days ago. He sure hasn't been able to look tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT