ADVERTISEMENT

OU portal players...

TU Sepp

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Feb 8, 2004
RB - Pledger and QB - Mordecai both announced transfer plans...

Would both of these players be a good pickup for the Golden Hurricane....

They are leaving to get P5 playing time.

Lots of players in the portal. Not all of them have had a productive conversation with coaches where they decide it’s in the interest of both parties if the player goes to a smaller program to get playing time.

Some are criminals, drug addicts, or academic fraudsters. Others just want to go home and see their girlfriend. With only one exception who I think is a ticking timebomb, we’ve done an excellent job of vetting the transfers.

Would both of these players be a good pickup for the Golden Hurricane....

I think we have good RBs already. Pledger has shown he’s good, not great at OU so far.

Mordecai was very unimpressive in the few times I’ve seen him.

I would take Pledger over Mordecai, but I wouldn’t consider getting either one a big deal.

I think we have good RBs already. Pledger has shown he’s good, not great at OU so far.

Mordecai was very unimpressive in the few times I’ve seen him.

I would take Pledger over Mordecai, but I wouldn’t consider getting either one a big deal.
Samari Brooks, TJ , Prince and others will be back .
P.S. Cory Taylor ,when healthy, had done great this year...tough runner .

Perhaps Zacky will enter the portal and wind up down the turnpike at OU. Unless he goes to the NFL, of course.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Pledger can’t run effectively behind OU’s line, which was down this year, but still. He’s a change of pace back. He’s the sort of guy who will get five to eight token carries a game at South Carolina until some sophomore becomes the guy.

I would look at Mordecai, but he’s just OK. A lot closer to Austin Kendall than Spencer Rattler.

Mordecai's career numbers...

Passing
SEASONTEAM
2018OKLA
2019OKLA
2020OKLA
Career

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG

Like we need 10 QBs on our roster. Hell no.

Sad. Now we have to whoop his Azz... coulda saved himself a beat down by joining the good guys.

He’s OK. I guess he thinks he will benefit from playing for the other Riley, who won’t be there long.

Morris should be smart enough to realize that with the kid from Gonzaga HS enrolling early and coming in for spring practice that he will never see the field either and transfer out..

Its also interesting that the 2 qbs they didnt land are on the bench at clemson n alabama.

Who was the last SMU QB who wasn’t a transfer ?
2014. Ben Hicks. Turned down Florida and Michigan. He had some kind of family/dream connection to the program. He was a prime get. Got hurt later in his career was erratic his junior in part due to the injury and then followed Chad Morris to Arkansas in 2019.

The next one of consequence after that was before Gilbert. Bo Levi Mitchell. Who got the business from a lot of people on here. He began at SMU. Played really well, but got upset when the coaching staff kept the job open and continued to recruit better QBs. That didn’t materialize and Mitchell’s Dad got involved and they left for Eastern Washington. He won the title there then went to Canada. He’s still there. He turns up on NFL emergency signing possibilities late in the year and flirts with NFL camps in the summer. I think he’s won a Grey Cup. Not sure. Meanwhile SMU had to scramble for talent until Gilbert signed.

Last edited:
Chandler Morris just entered the portal.

Getting thin (numbers) at qb over there..

They have two #1 QBs and I bet Schaffer comes back with a scholarship.

Reactions: noble cane
Didnt say they didnt have quality.. merely quantity...
Gonna be interesting when they get 2 studs in the barn... tough to get one to wait quietly...

They have done well getting two top 20 NFL QBs to wait a year. If Rattler is as good as they think, he will improve and be gone. If not, I imagine it’s a competition. I think they always thought they would lose Morris.

They are betting the farm on Caleb Williams. Theyve done it before with mixed results. Mildred, Aikman, Gundy, Bomar, etc. The new transfer rules lower the risk and enable the reward. It will be interesting how it plays out. He claims four, maybe five elite recruits coming to play with him, not Rattler. With the transfer rules, it could change recruiting.

They are betting the farm on Caleb Williams. Theyve done it before with mixed results. Mildred, Aikman, Gundy, Bomar, etc. The new transfer rules lower the risk and enable the reward. It will be interesting how it plays out. He claims four, maybe five elite recruits coming to play with him, not Rattler. With the transfer rules, it could change recruiting.

Williams wants to be Kyler. Either people have improved with Riley, or Rattler just doesn’t understand the options. I think it’s the latter.

2014. Ben Hicks. Turned down Florida and Michigan. He had some kind of family/dream connection to the program. He was a prime get. Got hurt later in his career was erratic his junior in part due to the injury and then followed Chad Morris to Arkansas in 2019.

The next one of consequence after that was before Gilbert. Bo Levi Mitchell. Who got the business from a lot of people on here. He began at SMU. Played really well, but got upset when the coaching staff kept the job open and continued to recruit better QBs. That didn’t materialize and Mitchell’s Dad got involved and they left for Eastern Washington. He won the title there then went to Canada. He’s still there. He turns up on NFL emergency signing possibilities late in the year and flirts with NFL camps in the summer. I think he’s won a Grey Cup. Not sure. Meanwhile SMU had to scramble for talent until Gilbert signed.
Hicks‘ was from Highland Park right? His dad or granddad (Tom) was or is one of the owners of the Texas Rangers

Rambo is now in the transfer portal as well. WTH is going on at OU and why does everyone want to leave so badly?

Jon-Michael Terry, LB, Tulsa-kid, has entered the portal. Wouldn't mind seeing what Coach Gillespie could do with him!

Jon-Michael Terry, LB, Tulsa-kid, has entered the portal. Wouldn't mind seeing what Coach Gillespie could do with him!
We did offer him back in the day. He’s a great student. Had Ivy offers iirc.

Are you saying Lincoln is cutting the dregs loose?
He’s never won a bowl game. And the distance between 1-4 and 5-12 is now huge. If he doesn’t make changes, he will be changed. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he sees a need to improve at certain places and told people their play doesn’t justify their problems. At QB, it’s all about reps. And there appears to be a QB1 and QB2 anointed, so it makes sense the other two leave. Also a Kragthorpe thing with Harrell and Westling both leaving despite being darn good prospects. Westling started a few games at SDSU.

Riley won the Cotton Bowl. You may have heard about that one.

Rambo is a dud. Can’t catch. He runs really fast in a straight line. He shouldn’t play for them. He was listed as a starter but would go games without a catch.

Morris is good.

Terry is good, too. He would have been second string next year.

Ah. True. He did win last week. Things are a fog right now. You know why.

Reactions: Gold*
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT