ADVERTISEMENT

OSU hires as new assistant the brother of nation's# 2 BB recruit, Cade Cunningham

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
For a moment I thought they hired Rod Thompson (I'm sure they tried) but this is worse. The guy is an "associate video guy" at TULANE............ What credentials he brings.??????............ The OSU coach has survived (so far) from the FBI entanglement into their paying players so this is pretty typical of him.

Assume you guys remember him. Played for SMU under Larry Brown. Played one year pro ball in Europe. Coached AAU ball for a year in Texas then was hired at Tulane as a video guy. Has really good Texas high school connections and his brother just happens to be the #2 recruit in the country (I’m sure that had zero to do with the hire). A little odd because most experts thought OSU led for his brother before the hire.

Smart move by Boynton. His brother is likely to bring an elite player or two to play with him. Him and Likele are playing together for the USA U19 team this summer btw.

I agree that was a smart move by Boynton. Everything I’ve read said OSU became the favorite AFTER rumors of hiring the brother surfaced over the last month.

I had heard that rumor as well. Boynton was the first coach to offer Cade. Something Cade has said meant a lot to him. I assume the length of time Boynton has recruited him played a significant part in being able to hire his brother and likely secure his commitment. The real question at this point is whether Boynton can capitalize on signing Cade and get OSU relevant again on the court. It would be a disappointment imo if he didn’t sign another elite player in the 2020 class in addition to Cade. No idea how this plays with Bryce.

If OSU’s 2020 Class seems to be stacked, Bryce could be more swayed to go there. He already has been interested there. Honestly I think our only shot at Bryce is if we hire Rod.

If OSU’s 2020 Class seems to be stacked, Bryce could be more swayed to go there. He already has been interested there. Honestly I think our only shot at Bryce is if we hire Rod.
I'm not convinced that's our only chance, but it sways the odds tremendously. It ain't going to happen. That chance passed around the time we hired Kwanza.

I think this makes Bryce less attracted to OSU. If we wants to share the spotlight with 5 stars, he has better options that OSU.

I think this makes Bryce less attracted to OSU. If we wants to share the spotlight with 5 stars, he has better options that OSU.
He might want to stay in Oklahoma though. And if he can manage to compete at a national level in this state that could sway him. I mean I would hate to see him go to a OSU, I’d much rather see him at some blue blood if he doesn’t come to Tulsa, rather than lose him to our in-state rivals

Reactions: drboobay
He might want to stay in Oklahoma though. And if he can manage to compete at a national level in this state that could sway him. I mean I would hate to see him go to a OSU, I’d much rather see him at some blue blood if he doesn’t come to Tulsa, rather than lose him to our in-state rivals
Kansas

Kansas has been awful quiet as far as his recruitment. I've heard OU has gained some ground as of late. I also tend to believe that adding the #2 recruit in the country probably helps OSU with Bryce as elite players tend to want to play with other elite players but who knows. I do know that once Cade commits he will likely recruit Bryce (as well as other players) to play with him.

Kansas has been awful quiet as far as his recruitment. I've heard OU has gained some ground as of late. I also tend to believe that adding the #2 recruit in the country probably helps OSU with Bryce as elite players tend to want to play with other elite players but who knows. I do know that once Cade commits he will likely recruit Bryce (as well as other players) to play with him.
I would be very surprised if Thompson ended up at OSU.... I just don't feel it. For some reason, I feel like having Phipps committed is a bigger advantage than Cade.

Also, I feel like it would be really weird... going to a school where one of the assistants was the older brother of the star players. Seems like there could be a conflict of interest in some coaching decisions.

it didn't work out so well for Memphis hiring the family

it didn't work out so well for Memphis hiring the family

True. OSU fans are hoping Boynton has enough sense not to remove Cade’s brother as an assistant coach and replace him with his son while Cade is on campus.

True. OSU fans are hoping Boynton has enough sense not to remove Cade’s brother as an assistant coach and replace him with his son while Cade is on campus.

Does Boynton have a son who is in coaching? That is news to me......

Does Boynton have a son who is in coaching? That is news to me......

No. The comment was directed at why the hiring of Lawson at Memphis failed in the end.

Bryce seems to be enjoying the recruiting experience. Can’t say I blame him.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Kansas has been awful quiet as far as his recruitment. I've heard OU has gained some ground
as of late..
I agree they have been quiet, but Bryce is in Lawrence visiting KU as we speak.

It appears Self and KU is in that little Cadre of schools that the NCAA, and now even the FBI
seem to give a pass to on violations....If so, it would seem that Thompson would keep at least
an open mind about them.....Self can coach....Some of the other rather big name schools
recruiting him have head coaches that are not as talented as he is......

Something to keep in mind as it gets closer to decision time...........

It appears Self and KU is in that little Cadre of schools that the NCAA, and now even the FBI
seem to give a pass to on violations....If so, it would seem that Thompson would keep at least
an open mind about them.....Self can coach....Some of the other rather big name schools
recruiting him have head coaches that are not as talented as he is......

Something to keep in mind as it gets closer to decision time...........
If he wasn't aware of that or seemed to have forgot, I'm sure dad would remind him.

hard to blame OSU for doing what we were hoping to do here (hiring Rod to land his son).

difference is, they got the deal closed...we didn't.

still hopeful we can add Rod at some point. Hopefully Bryce comes to TU.

hard to blame OSU for doing what we were hoping to do here (hiring Rod to land his son).

I would honestly think about hiring Rod even if it meant doing it after Bryce went somewhere else. If Bryce is anything, he's a estimate the kind of quality player and quality human being that Rod can help develop.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000

They hired the recruits brother. They haven't received a commitment from the recruit though. I've been told OSU would have hired him simply for his Texas ties without the prospect of receiving a commitment from his brother. Not sure I believe that however.

Rod would be a good hire with or without Bryce.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT