ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics - USWNT

nevadanatural

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
Wow, shocked by that opening game. Sweden looked faster and more aggressive the entire game. The US was very disappointing when it came to possession. This makes both New Zealand and Australia must win games to get out of group play.

Wow, shocked by that opening game. Sweden looked faster and more aggressive the entire game. The US was very disappointing when it came to possession. This makes both New Zealand and Australia must win games to get out of group play.
New Zealand shouldn't be an issue. Australia can be tough at times. I'm hoping it was jet lag. And the US may actually suffer from the lack of fans at the games.

Better showing today against New Zealand but the D is still shakier than I would like to see. It will be interesting to see what lineup we field against the Aussies. Whether you like her or not the US offense seems a lot better with Rapinoe on the field.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Better showing today against New Zealand but the D is still shakier than I would like to see. It will be interesting to see what lineup we field against the Aussies. Whether you like her or not the US offense seems a lot better with Rapinoe on the field.
And the US also had 4 goals called back due to offside. One was not and offside and I am shocked they didn't go to VAR to review. The US' defense is pretty much the same it has been for the last two years including the WC winners. I think Rapinoe's pace and ability to cross the ball and switch field is something the US relies on to help keep pressure on teams' backlines. Without her on the field vs Sweden, the Swedish defenders could cheat. Mewis and Horan don't present the same issues up top. I think the US' best top line has Press at the 9 with Rapinoe and Heath at the 7 and 11. And Rose Lavelle needs to be involved as much as possible.

Rose is a beast! She’s fast, works hard and has the strongest shot on the team. I’ve always been a big fan of Kristen Press, I like both her game and her attitude, she’s always smiling. I like your lineup and I think the goal that was called offside but wasn’t was the one by Tobin Heath.

Reactions: TU 1978
Well, the US is through to the quarters after a nothing game against the Aussies. Alex Morgan was robbed of a goal in the first half.

In reading the recap, they said VAR ruled her elbow offside which led to reversing the goal. Problem is the criteria says it has to be a part of the body a player can score with. You cannot score a goal with your elbow legally and thus it should not have been ruled offside.

It's going to be tough from here on out no matter who the US plays. Tons of high quality teams in the other groups like the Netherlands, Brazil, France, Sweden, Great Britain, and Canada. I think the US may have been playing a little cat and mouse with everyone. I think the focus returns for the knockout round. That said, I'm still picking Sweden to win the gold. They are playing the best out of everyone in the field. There is real quality on that team.

after a good first half the women didn’t look like they wanted to be there until penalty kicks. They’ll have to bring more energy against Canada if they want to be guaranteed a medal.

Well, no gold for the ladies but a bronze is still possible. Our biggest issue right now, especially with the younger players, is spacing. We’re not using the field to our advantage. And I have to say that penalty was bull:crap:! The Canadian player didn’t even make a play on the ball, she threw herself into the US player hoping to get a call.

Beyond the technical issues it appears that karma has caught up with them. I’m amazed by the number of people that were hoping for a collapse, which a bronze would most likely be seen as.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT