ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Qualification Starts Tomorrow

We put a hurtin' on Fidel last night. 6-0. I wonder if the entire team defected after that?
roll.gif

Played poorly and lost to Canada 2 goals to nil.

They play tonight against El Salvador.

Anything less than a win and the US is out of the Olympics altogether.

The US had better take care of business. Missing the Olympics is like missing a bowl. It costs the team practice time it wouldnt otherwise get and allows the squad to build relationships that last into the senior level for later World Cups.

I will be seriously hacked off if the US fails to make it through. This squad under performed at their last tournament and the coach selection was a gamble.

I watched the game on CONCACAF.com, then promptly stayed awake breaking various things in my house that obviously needed breaking.

Breaking continued until around 3am, when the future Mrs. Huffy started complaining about work in a few hours. (Dont even get me started on that, I once did a solicitation to commit first degree murder trial on no sleep with a mardi gras sized hangover. Came back guilty in less than two hours.)

Howling, lamentation, and general gnashing of teeth was involved until she called my future Huffy-in-law and asked if she could drive over and stay the night.

Right now Im still pissed and somewhat in a state of psychosis from shock of the loss and the lack of sleep. I may write a more cogent take on the game, but here are my thoughts in general:

I was EFFING WRONG about Amobi Okugo. I thought he was a great prospect. He has the reputation as being the "cool guy" on the team. Not the best player, but the one everyone wants to sit by on the bus or share lockerroom benches with. I thought if the Union played him a little more, he could shine. Pietr Nowak knows a lot more about soccer than me and he has Okugo on the bench. That's where he should be. Maybe thats where he would have been if the US had the 8 or 9 missing players that werent released by their clubs. He made a horrible, horrible error on that goal. An error intramural players dont make. Granted, the goal should have been stopped by ex-UCF keeper Sean Johnson, but the shot should have never taken place and Okugo is directly responsible for the shot getting off. You just cant stand around. You have to finish.

He didnt finish and the US got beat. That's nothing but poor attitude and poor coaching. If you are practicing to the finish, then you will play to the finish.

More later, Im so frustrated I can barely type.

I happen to have MUN2 on my Dish package so I watched the game. This one was a killer. Cuba helps us out and ties Canada and all we need to do is win to take the group and avoid Mexico in the Semis. The US defense as mentioned earlier was very shaky in the last two games. Opponents seemed able to move past them and the marking was loose or non-existent on several occasions. The GK was just as bad on that shot imo as the defender. He should have tried to parry away from goal at a minimum and instead used fists on a low shot. Oh well, at least we still have the Euros and WC qualifying to look forward to this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT