ADVERTISEMENT

🏈 News/Notes Oklahoma transfer Jon-Michael Terry headed to TU

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Back in the 2016 recruiting cycle, Tulsa coaches didn't have to go far to recruit Jon-Michael Terry. A 6-3, 220 pound linebacker at the time, Terry played his high school football at Tulsa (OK) Victory Christian.

The 3-star prospect ultimately chose the Oklahoma Sooners over TU, Oklahoma State, TCU, Washington and others. After playing four seasons at OU, Terry entered the transfer portal, and on January 13, announced his intention to transfer to Tulsa.

If he can stay healthy our linebacker Corp will stay and keep playing at a brilliant level.
Tulsa is going to be good again next year....can’t wait .
Is Jaxon Player a junior or senior this past season ?
He's a junior. He's the one I'm still waiting on, to hear if he's declaring early.

Still need to hear from Player(Jr) & Evans(Jr), and Wick, Revels, Reeves, C Williams on defense.

Reactions: eastcane
He's a junior. He's the one I'm still waiting on, to hear if he's declaring early.

Still need to hear from Player(Jr) & Evans(Jr), and Wick, Revels, Reeves, C Williams on defense.
If he hasn't declared officially that he is returning for next season, Player has certainly alluded to the fact that he is returning next season in various Twitter posts. The latest was one after Owen O committed simply saying "Let's go". I think he's coming back because now that he's on radars nationally it will only help his draft stock.

So on D, we should be returning the 3 starting DL (Player, Stevenson, Goodlow) plus H Grant, Everitt Rodgers. And add O Ostroski. Wick could still return. At LB, we lose only Collins. Add JMT and a healthy Yohance Burnett. Reeves and Revels could come back but honestly, while they are good players we have plenty of depth at LB when you consider Kulkin and his ability. Wright is a freaking man-beast. DBs- with Green back and Evans is only a junior so he would have to declare for the draft. Ray and Martin are back.

Our D will be loaded next season and have plenty of depth.

So on D, we should be returning the 3 starting DL (Player, Stevenson, Goodlow) plus H Grant, Everitt Rodgers. And add O Ostroski. Wick could still return. At LB, we lose only Collins. Add JMT and a healthy Yohance Burnett. Reeves and Revels could come back but honestly, while they are good players we have plenty of depth at LB when you consider Kulkin and his ability. Wright is a freaking man-beast. DBs- with Green back and Evans is only a junior so he would have to declare for the draft. Ray and Martin are back.

Evans said he was considering declaring according to the TW several weeks ago.

We get May back after him and Gadlin saying they wouldn't play this year due to covid.

I’m looking forward to seeing Grant‘s progress. He was very good in limited minutes as a true freshman, a year in the weight program and he could be a monster.

Reactions: eastcane

It will be interesting to see where they play O at.He doesn’t have the height they are usually looking for to play on the line at TU in the multiple 3. Player is shorter but 40 lbs heavier. But a generational talent with exceptional quickness. Has O ever played the tackle spot?

The Will or the overhang could be intriguing if he has the speed.

He’s a bit of a tweener at this point for this defense. But there’s room to grow. Let’s hope speed and quickness increases once he matures.

It will be interesting to see where they play O at.He doesn’t have the height they are usually looking for to play on the line at TU in the multiple 3. Player is shorter but 40 lbs heavier. But a generational talent with exceptional quickness. Has O ever played the tackle spot?

He’s a bit of a tweener at this point for this defense. But there’s room to grow. Let’s hope speed and quickness increases once he matures.
I bet by the time he graduates he'll be 20 lbs heavier.

Thinking back we have had a lot of success with the tweener type players. Our coaches have done a good job of letting them develop and finding a place where they can excel with hard work. Hopefully that will continue and we will see team success follow.

Didn’t UCF have an undersized tweener defensive end that was near unblockable a few years ago? I’m having trouble remembering his name, but I think he had a short run in the NFL

Reactions: HuffyCane
I bet by the time he graduates he'll be 20 lbs heavier.
If not more. But you gotta do that and be able to get faster. That’s the value added in recruiting. Coaches see what we see in high school highlight films. The best ones see how some kids have little chance of future development. The exceptional ones see those that can grow into something really special and get even faster. Like Barry Minter that came in a skinny safety and after a year it was clear he could grow into something special at LB and get even faster. Three years later we are watching Lawrence Taylor 2.0 throwing around 300 lbs linemen.

On the D interior quickness is more important than fast (speed). It is critical to have a first two step explosion and anticipation (these are Players strengths), utilization of leverage to get under/around blocker (Gipson was very good at this) and strength to fight through blocks (Big Cat). I think Owen has varying degrees of all of these attributes but at the college level will need to continue to improve them. My bet is he will.

Last edited:
On the D interior quickness is more important than fast (speed). It is critical to have a first two step explosion and anticipation (these are Players strengths), utilization of leverage to get under/around defender (Gipson was very good at this) and strength to fight through blocks (Big Cat). I think Owen has varying degrees of all of these attributes but at the college level will need to continue to improve them. My bet is he will.
Great points. Totally agree. But also at the DT position in the TU scheme, the speed to get to the sideline in run support if you aren’t caught up in the wash is part of it. The really impressive thing about Player to me is the number of times you see him finish off a tackle around the numbers or even the sideline when you see a RB try to get outside snd they get jammed up by another TU player but not tackled. He can run. He will get up from a tackle and I think it is Wright wearing 30 and it’s Player wearing 90 making LB type plays. I think O has the motor. Getting that extra foot of speed for the next level will be the task.

IMO height is an overvalued metric. For DEs coaches talk a lot about “length” which can be different than height. Owen has the wingspan of a kid who is 6’6. He’s a gorilla. You want length at the DE and OT spot because it’s about who can get hands on the other guy without allowing your opponent to get hands on you. Owen has that and would do terrific at DE because he has the length you want as well as the twitchy explosiveness and violence that translates very well at any level.

That said, I think Owen is a rush OLB a la Alain Karatepeyan. Alain played at 6’1 250 and was a war daddy. Violent and explosive enough to rush the edge, and twitchy enough to carry the seam.

IMO height is an overvalued metric. For DEs coaches talk a lot about “length” which can be different than height. Owen has the wingspan of a kid who is 6’6. He’s a gorilla. You want length at the DE and OT spot because it’s about who can get hands on the other guy without allowing your opponent to get hands on you. Owen has that and would do terrific at DE because he has the length you want as well as the twitchy explosiveness and violence that translates very well at any level.

That said, I think Owen is a rush OLB a la Alain Karatepeyan. Alain played at 6’1 250 and was a war daddy. Violent and explosive enough to rush the edge, and twitchy enough to carry the seam.
Exactly. As stated above. It’s hard to watch his highlights and not see million dollar potential playing the overhang when we are one high safety if he has the speed.

Great points. Totally agree. But also at the DT position in the TU scheme, the speed to get to the sideline in run support if you aren’t caught up in the wash is part of it. The really impressive thing about Player to me is the number of times you see him finish off a tackle around the numbers or even the sideline when you see a RB try to get outside snd they get jammed up by another TU player but not tackled. He can run. He will get up from a tackle and I think it is Wright wearing 30 and it’s Player wearing 90 making LB type plays. I think O has the motor. Getting that extra foot of speed for the next level will be the task.
When I really started appreciating Player‘s speed was in an early game this year when I watched him run down an RB from behind and make the tackle. You don’t see that often from a DL.

One play that summarizes Player's ability and ridiculous foot speed for someone with his stature/body type...he chased down the UCF running back 35 yards down field earlier this season. Not only does he have that quick twitch, he is downright fast for his size. Think Aaron Donald fast combined with Warren Sapp strength.

Goodlow may be faster BTW.

Jarred St. John

I see him more as a Jared St. John. St. John was listed at 6’2” 230 but he was probably closer to 6’0.5” he finished his senior season with ~50 tackles 14 for loss, and 11.5 sacks on the season. The thing about St. John was that he had a quickness and a fluidity to his movement that made him dangerous. He was technically superior to the guys that he was going up against. I think Owen already has more size than St. John did. It’s really going to come down to how athletically gifted he is in terms of strength, smarts, technique, and speed.

5f61a9f2bd0a4.image.jpg

I think St John is a fair comparison but IMO athletically they aren’t in the same universe. Little O is a freak. He’s already built like a man. He’s a no brainer IMO

Bruce Miller is the UCF guy from back in the day that I was thinking of

5f61a9f2bd0a4.image.jpg

I think St John is a fair comparison but IMO athletically they aren’t in the same universe. Little O is a freak. He’s already built like a man. He’s a no brainer IMO

I agree he shows all the building blocks of being elite. Will he have to work for it? Well of course, that is not an issue from his high school days, his family, or his personal results, kid is a worker. Now could he get a little bigger or a little faster and become something really special? I think so, that's luck of the draw in some ways but his genetics aren't just showing up in his good looks. He's got some of his dad in him too.

Didn’t UCF have an undersized tweener defensive end that was near unblockable a few years ago? I’m having trouble remembering his name, but I think he had a short run in the NFL
Yes, Shaquem Griffin. He also only had one hand due to a birth defect. He spent the entire Peach Bowl in Auburn’s backfield chasing Stidham around. His twin brother was a DB on that team and is now a starter for the Seahawks.

5f61a9f2bd0a4.image.jpg

I don’t disagree. Just saying you don’t have to be an OLB to have success at his size. You can absolutely play DE and haunt QB’s dreams.

I don’t disagree. Just saying you don’t have to be an OLB to have success at his size. You can absolutely play DE and haunt QB’s dreams.

I totally agree. He would be a dynamite DE which was the point of me talking about his length even though his height might not be ideal. I think he’s gonna be lights out regardless the spot he plays. And the best compliment I can pay a kid is to simply say he’s a football player and he will find a way onto the field. That’s little O through and through IMO

7 down and 3 to go on defense. Only loss so far is Collins. I'm guessing Evans is struggling with the decision, him waiting so long to declare or not declare.

Haven't heard from Long & Higuera on special teams yet. Long staying in the fold would allow him to audition for the NFL next season, seeing as how he's probably not going to get an undrafted tryout at this point.

Haven't heard from Long & Higuera on special teams yet. Long staying in the fold would allow him to audition for the NFL next season, seeing as how he's probably not going to get an undrafted tryout at this point.
Which would be a miracle since he had never played organized football three years ago.

Which would be a miracle since he had never played organized football three years ago.
It would be a miracle after next year as well.

How is it he's considered a senior if he only kicked for 2 years. Does your freshman year not playing football count off on your eligibility? He wasn't playing soccer his freshman year was he? I thought he was simply a student his freshman year.

Would seem like he must have been a senior when he tried out for the team. He was pretty old if so, when he decided to try out for the team.

Freshman year/considered a redshirt year(Fr-actual year in college)
Freshman red shirt(So-AYC)
Sophomore year(Jr-AYC)
Junior year tried out for the football team(Sr-AYC '19)
Senior Year the one he just played.(fifth year Sr '20)

To my knowledge he had never played any sports before. He was friends with some of the guys on the team and decided to give it a shot after fooling around with them as they practiced in the offseason is what I was told. Like a Texas 3A high school program. But in this case, I’ll take it.

To my knowledge he had never played any sports before. He was friends with some of the guys on the team and decided to give it a shot after fooling around with them as they practiced in the offseason is what I was told. Like a Texas 3A high school program. But in this case, I’ll take it.
Off of his bio on TU site.

HIGH SCHOOL – Played soccer at Eureka High School.

School is in Eureka, a suburb of St Louis.

Off of his bio on TU site.

HIGH SCHOOL – Played soccer at Eureka High School.

School is in Eureka, a suburb of St Louis.
That’s cool. He’s serviceable. He can do most of the job most of the time. Which is what you need as long as the power running game and defense is working. But there’s players available with enhanced skills and we should be in position to attract after his contribution ends. We just have to find it. I still don’t understand the after thought we give to special teams. Or the passes we’ve tried to give to this coaching staff for close losses when competent special teams play would have won most of those close games. That starts with a better plan to find a kicker than looking local, depending your buddy’s camp recommendations, or waiting to see if someone in the dorms wants to do it.

Last edited:
That’s cool. He’s serviceable. He can do most of the job most of the time. Which is what you need as long as the power running game and defense is working. But there’s players available with enhanced skills and we should be in position to attract after his contribution ends. We just have to find it. I still don’t understand the after thought we give to special teams. Or the passes we’ve tried to give to this coaching staff for close losses when competent special teams play would have won most of those close games. That starts with a better plan to find a kicker than looking local, depending your buddy’s camp recommendations, or waiting to see if someone in the dorms wants to do it.
We got's a top recruit at kicker who got a double shot at the position this season. Too bad he missed his second shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT