ADVERTISEMENT

OK HS Football

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Is there any doubt that an east side team is going to win 6A-1 and 6A-2 this season? Bixby has scored 151 pts the last 2 weeks and have given up 6. Owasso beat Norman North 70-28. Union beat Putnam City 35-7 with no true QB playing for Union (RB Rovaughn Banks played QB last night).

So what will the west's gripe be about not being able to compete or develop enough talent to get close to the east side teams?

Is there any doubt that an east side team is going to win 6A-1 and 6A-2 this season? Bixby has scored 151 pts the last 2 weeks and have given up 6. Owasso beat Norman North 70-28. Union beat Putnam City 35-7 with no true QB playing for Union (RB Rovaughn Banks played QB last night).

So what will the west's gripe be about not being able to compete or develop enough talent to get close to the east side teams?
The west side excuse will always be that they were “forced” to add multiple high schools to the suburban districts while the east side didn’t have to do the same.

It will be interesting next year when Bixby moves up to 6A-1. Probably means BA will do no better than 3rd in that district.

Who takes over in 6A-2?

Back in the day MWC would dominate the west. Now I guess all the move-ins from Tinker AFB go to Carl Albert. Man, I used to love covering a Jenks-MWC game. Then get loaded afterwards.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Living in the west side as an East side Ex-pat, i can say that they approach football different over here.

Their youth leagues and feeder schools run totally different offenses than the high schools. Their players have to learn new schemes almost every year.

I remember when NJ was still playing FB, we went to a scrimmage in Prague against schools from all over the state. The big east siders unloaded busses of players and their teams all ran the same schemes, used the same language, and were coached by many of the same guys. The HS coaches were there taking notes.

It was impressive.

Back in the day MWC would dominate the west. Now I guess all the move-ins from Tinker AFB go to Carl Albert. Man, I used to love covering a Jenks-MWC game. Then get loaded afterwards.
Del City is dominating CA this year.

The west side excuse will always be that they were “forced” to add multiple high schools to the suburban districts while the east side didn’t have to do the same.

It will be interesting next year when Bixby moves up to 6A-1. Probably means BA will do no better than 3rd in that district.

Who takes over in 6A-2?
Choctaw

Living in the west side as an East side Ex-pat, i can say that they approach football different over here.

Their youth leagues and feeder schools run totally different offenses than the high schools. Their players have to learn new schemes almost every year.

I remember when NJ was still playing FB, we went to a scrimmage in Prague against schools from all over the state. The big east siders unloaded busses of players and their teams all ran the same schemes, used the same language, and were coached by many of the same guys. The HS coaches were there taking notes.

It was impressive.
I went to 2 Union youth games yesterday of 7th grade players. They ran plays I recognized from the Friday night Union game vs Putnam City.

I went to 2 Union youth games yesterday of 7th grade players. They ran plays I recognized from the Friday night Union game vs Putnam City.
Like i said.. the language and base schemes are the same.. by the time those kids are seniors all the offense and defense will be second nature.. they will know it better than their own names.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Like i said.. the language and base schemes are the same.. by the time those kids are seniors all the offense and defense will be second nature.. they will know it better than their own names.
It's also all about culture and building it up from an early age. While the youth football stuff has ZERO official affiliation with the school district, the kids wear the same uniforms, the same helmets and logos, and build the same pride in the program that the 8th graders and HS have.

My daughter is a UYFA cheerleader/pom squad kid. She wears the same uniform the HS pom girls do. The HS pom girls are her coaches and they learn the same dance routines, same music and popouts and cheers that all the HS girls perform.

About 20 years ago the argument about splitting schools came up from Edmond because they chose to split their high schools up and undoubtedly they did so because they felt it would benefit the students to be in smaller HS and limit class sizes and maximize their resources. Jenks, Broken Arrow, and Union have not done that because they feel they can provided the same resources in the single setting. Whether that's true or not I can't say for sure. I know I feel like my son has a ton of opportunities to excel at Union and they keep adding resources and more opportunities. As a parent I feel like splitting the school up would actually limit resources and opportunities. My kid doesn't play football so that doesn't factor into my opinion. And the Union, BA, Bixby, and Jenks communities always seem to rally around school bond issues...not sure how Moore, Norman, and Edmond handle those or if those communities generally support school district bonds.

There are enough marching band families in the east side suburbs to block any type of high school split.

BA contemplated going to 3 high schools a few years back but the thought of damaging their award winning music program mobilized about a thousand band parents and alumni to stop that dead in it’s tracks.

There are enough marching band families in the east side suburbs to block any type of high school split.

BA contemplated going to 3 high schools a few years back but the thought of damaging their award winning music program mobilized about a thousand band parents and alumni to stop that dead in it’s tracks.
The weird thing is, I think they could probably figure out a creative way to keep it all one school. I don't know about Jenks and Owasso, but BA and Union have separate buildings for their 9th grade students. They could add another for their 10th grade students (Union actually added a new building to the high school called the Collegiate Academy so they could increase capacity). All of the students at those freshman academy buildings compete under the high school mantle. I can tell you it's a logistical nightmare in terms of busing as well.

The weird thing is, I think they could probably figure out a creative way to keep it all one school. I don't know about Jenks and Owasso, but BA and Union have separate buildings for their 9th grade students. They could add another for their 10th grade students (Union actually added a new building to the high school called the Collegiate Academy so they could increase capacity). All of the students at those freshman academy buildings compete under the high school mantle. I can tell you it's a logistical nightmare in terms of busing as well.
Owasso has two separate buildings across the street from each other. The East campus is generally 11th & 12th and the West campus (formerly known as the Mid-High) is 9th & 10th. Kids can cross 129th easily when they need to move between buildings.

They do have a lot of space available if/when they need to expand and I can’t see the district ever adding another high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT