ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio state game thread

Short handed, and playing a team with more talent, and obscene amounts of more money to get the talent, and a huge crowd...Monty did better today than any Tulsa coach could have in at least the last 30 years.

The 0-3 record is obviously disappointing, but we have a team that could run the table the rest of the way.
Other than at Cincinnati that could be real ugly

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
There’s simply no excuse for a team with this many returning starters to get throttled by anyone on our schedule. Davis Brin was the wild card, but he showed some outstanding play today.
Looking at our remaining schedule we should go 8 and 5 before our bowl game and that’s playing Cincy in the championship game again

Memphis beat Miss St, Tulane looks pretty good, SMU had a great come back today, UH has talent, Ark St got throttled today but gave Memphis a tough game. We will have to play well to win any of those games.
‘Temple, Navy and USF “should“ be wins.

Memphis beat Miss St, Tulane looks pretty good, SMU had a great come back today, UH has talent, Ark St got throttled today but gave Memphis a tough game. We will have to play well to win any of those games.
‘Temple, Navy and USF “should“ be wins.
Only misfire on that was Tulane

No K. Stokes who might have made a difference yesterday. Nevertheless, very proud of the Golden Hurc's. Can't wait to pulverize Arkie St. & begin our comeback tour.

No K. Stokes who might have made a difference yesterday. Nevertheless, very proud of the Golden Hurc's. Can't wait to pulverize Arkie St. & begin our comeback tour.
Naylor looked just as good or better than Stokes and seemed to have better hands catching the ball than Keylon lately. Our entire team was severely depleted and we pushed those guys to a 7 point game with 5 minutes left in their own barn. Hope we get most of those guys who were out due to injury back soon.

Naylor looked just as good or better than Stokes and seemed to have better hands catching the ball than Keylon lately. Our entire team was severely depleted and we pushed those guys to a 7 point game with 5 minutes left in their own barn. Hope we get most of those guys who were out due to injury back soon.
Naylor has some MOJO about him. In the post-game interview he was suggesting we had only seen a tiny bit of what the offense and he could do and that we would go undefeated from here.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Short handed, and playing a team with more talent, and obscene amounts of more money to get the talent, and a huge crowd...Monty did better today than any Tulsa coach could have in at least the last 30 years.

The 0-3 record is obviously disappointing, but we have a team that could run the table the rest of the way.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's like none of you have learned a thing in 7 years.

It's always close with Monty who is absurdly bad in games decided by 8 points or less. So big surprise we ended up with the ball late in the game down a touchdown and our offensive genius got us nothing from the possesion.

Monty has ZERO p5 wins and an over all losing record with one full winning season. Where he ranks with coaches in TU history is right above Keith Burns the last thirty years or back to the late 1800s.

We'll go 2-10 if we can hold on versus Navy and USF but I wouldn't put money on it. We'll be top ten in team penalties, but hey we will have played Ohio St kind of good, but lost. Something we could say about Arkansas St, or Tulane, Arkansas, or UC Davis, as much as we can about Ohio St, OSU, and a good Cincy team. Coach is something like 8-21 in games decided by 8 points or less with almost half those wins directly from Zaven last year.

Something that Monty has actually done that no other coach has done at TU in 30 plus years? Lose to an FCS team.

If you want to keep him as a coach fine, but Tulsa has a long history including a crazy comeback win versus Oklahoma St, an upset of Iowa and Texas AnM, as well as stealing a game from OU, in Norman and Notre Dame in Southbend in the last 30 years. Making it a close game is something every past Tulsa coach but Burns has at least done and several have come up with huge wins. Hell Blankenship beat a damn good Iowa St team, in a bowl even.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's always close with Monty who is absurdly bad in games decided by 8 points or less. So big surprise we ended up with the ball late in the game down a touchdown and our offensive genius got us nothing from the possesion.

Monty has ZERO p5 wins and an over all losing record with one full winning season. Where he ranks with coaches in TU history is right above Keith Burns the last thirty years or back to the late 1800s.

We'll go 2-10 if we can hold on versus Navy and USF but I wouldn't put money on it. We'll be top ten in team penalties, but hey we will have played Ohio St kind of good, but lost. Something we could say about Arkansas St, or Tulane, Arkansas, or UC Davis, as much as we can about Ohio St, OSU, and a good Cincy team. Coach is something like 8-21 in games decided by 8 points or less with almost half those wins directly from Zaven last year.

Something that Monty has actually done that no other coach has done at TU in 30 plus years? Lose to an FCS team.

If you want to keep him as a coach fine, but Tulsa has a long history including a crazy comeback win versus Oklahoma St, an upset of Iowa and Texas AnM, as well as stealing a game from OU, in Norman and Notre Dame in Southbend in the last 30 years. Making it a close game is something every past Tulsa coach but Burns has at least done and several have come up with huge wins. Hell Blankenship beat a damn good Iowa St team, in a bowl even.
how many times do we have to tell you. No one here likes Monty. But we appreciate yesterday’s effort.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just to add perspective and not including teams that are now P5 that weren’t then:
- In 4 years Bill had 1 P5 win on a neutral field
- Todd had 1 P5 road win in 5 years
- Kragthorpe (IIRCC) had none in 4 years
- He who shall not be named - zero
- Dave had multiple wins at home (T A&M, Iowa, OSU -a couple of times) and beat OU and Mizzou on the road. I think he also had wins against Kansas and Kansas State.

So except Kragthorpe, who was a very good coach, but had less opportunities than Monty all of the the previous coaches were able to win P5 games (except he who shall not be named) with fewer attempts.

Reactions: TU4ever2
how many times do we have to tell you. No one here likes Monty. But we appreciate yesterday’s effort.
I think his point and mine are the OP was saying Monty did something no coach in the last 30 years has done or could do and I respectfully disagree.

Reactions: TU4ever2
I think his point and mine are the OP was saying Monty did something no coach in the last 30 years has done or could do and I respectfully disagree.
Oh I know, man. I told myself I was done with 4ever. Just couldn’t help myself.

I am simply a life-long fan of watching the games, rooting for my beloved G. Hurcs, hurting when they lose & joy when they win? I mean to say, I can't be too critical of coaches after living through the David Rader (OK St.Sen-R-Tulsa) years, and the Burns years and trying not to beatch too much. Some losses were very entertaining games with big wins along the way.

My team wins or loses, (I much prefer the former), it's just is what it is. I'm not saying I'm a better fan than anyone else on here, only with a different philosophical slant on winning, losing &/or coaching. Thus, the constant drumbeat of Coach Monty this & that is getting a little-no, a lot, tiresome. Of course, anything I'd say won't stop anyone from continuing the Monty drum beat-not even 6 or 7 wins the rest of the way. I'll just try to avoid reading it.

Ho hum, negative nancy fo'evah is totally unaware of, and obliviously obtuse to everybody else's opinions.(I've used that word with fo'evah before. If the shoe fits, wear it.) So he goes off on Monty again.

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
I am simply a life-long fan of watching the games, rooting for my beloved G. Hurcs, hurting when they lose & joy when they win? I mean to say, I can't be too critical of coaches after living through the David Rader (OK St.Sen-R-Tulsa) years, and the Burns years and trying not to beatch too much. Some losses were very entertaining games with big wins along the way.

My team wins or loses, (I much prefer the former), it's just is what it is. I'm not saying I'm a better fan than anyone else on here, only with a different philosophical slant on winning, losing &/or coaching. Thus, the constant drumbeat of Coach Monty this & that is getting a little-no, a lot, tiresome. Of course, anything I'd say won't stop anyone from continuing the Monty drum beat-not even 6 or 7 wins the rest of the way. I'll just try to avoid reading it.
I like this approach , I may not always like the product on the field, and I am definitely not a fan of Monty , but I can still say I thought he had a pretty good plan yesterday and called mostly good plays , we played to win yesterday and it showed, I don’t think any of us thought we were going to go in and win , that was a team that could very well be competing for a national championship at the end of the year. If we play like that for the rest of the year , we could very well win out and I wouldn’t mind keeping Monty. I don’t think that will happen but that’s what being a fan is!

Reactions: drboobay
I like this approach , I may not always like the product on the field, and I am definitely not a fan of Monty , but I can still say I thought he had a pretty good plan yesterday and called mostly good plays , we played to win yesterday and it showed, I don’t think any of us thought we were going to go in and win , that was a team that could very well be competing for a national championship at the end of the year. If we play like that for the rest of the year , we could very well win out and I wouldn’t mind keeping Monty. I don’t think that will happen but that’s what being a fan is!
No, he mustn't be rewarded or kept based on his resume of failure. Glad he had the team prepared for Ohio State, but winning is the name of the game. He'll leave a multi-millionaire and his kids will have received free tuition from TU. He's been given enough. Rick must cut bait and move forward with a new coach at the end of this season if not sooner when we go nuclear for losing to a lesser opponent in a few weeks' time.

No, he mustn't be rewarded or kept based on his resume of failure. Glad he had the team prepared for Ohio State, but winning is the name of the game. He'll leave a multi-millionaire and his kids will have received free tuition from TU. He's been given enough. Rick must cut bait and move forward with a new coach at the end of this season if not sooner when we go nuclear for losing to a lesser opponent in a few weeks' time.
I do agree based on what I think is going to happen , but if he wins out and wins the conference championship, no way they will. I agree with you though because I don’t think that’s going to happen . He just can’t get us over the hump

Some of you need to go over on the tOSU board and read their meltdown after yesterday’s game.

• Haha
Reactions: TULSARISING

Your reading comprehension seems to be slipping, I said if he wants to keep him fine. At no point did I say fire Monty.

I pointed out that this is just repetitive praising of a losing coach for getting close, essentially getting paid almost 2m a year for moral victories. I then gave several facts that repudiated the claim this is the best TU in 30 years stuff.

Your reaction, attacking me for pointing out facts you don't like, is amusing for how childish a reaction it is. Santa isn't real either, sorry if that ruins your Christmas.

We've got to the point again where our own fans have accepted that this is the norm, haven't seen that since I was in school during the Burns tenure.

It's sad anyone should have to be reminded when a decade ago we had double digit wins regularly.

Oh I know, man. I told myself I was done with 4ever. Just couldn’t help myself.

Try the ignore feature, I'm sure G$ is still posting here, probably multiple times a day, adding nothing as always and probably even quoting me, but I don't know anymore and the board has become much more informative per post for me 🤷‍♂️

Your reading comprehension seems to be slipping, I said if he wants to keep him fine. At no point did I say fire Monty.

I pointed out that this is just repetitive praising of a losing coach for getting close, essentially getting paid almost 2m a year for moral victories. I then gave several facts that repudiated the claim this is the best TU in 30 years stuff.

Your reaction, attacking me for pointing out facts you don't like, is amusing for how childish a reaction it is. Santa isn't real either, sorry if that ruins your Christmas.
I have no idea how your reply to LEC is even tangentially related to what he said.

He didn’t claim you mentioned firing Monty, he didn’t attack you for pointing out facts, and wasn’t childish. He said what everyone here agrees with:

“No one here likes Monty.”

The next sentence is where I suspect you and LEC disagree:

“But we appreciate yesterday’s effort.”

That was it. Seems to be a pretty straightforward and fine opinion.

I’m pretty certain LEC has mentioned he is ready to move on from Monty. I’ve melted many times and mentioned we should fire him during this season. Nevertheless, I don’t have a problem saying that yesterday the team performed well and represented TU in a good light for 56 minutes of the game.

Yes losing close over and over doesn’t cut it. Bowl or fired for Monty IMO. Should’ve happened 2years ago. BUT there is something to be said for not getting embarrassed against P5 teams. Even in years where we won a bunch of games, if we got annihilated against OU/OSU it still made us seem small time. Going head to head against someone like Ohio State and showing Tulsa has the kind of talent to be competitive does matter for perception. And ya know, it’s nice to feel like the team I root for belongs in the same league as an Ohio State or an Oklahoma State even in a loss. That’s not me accepting mediocrity. That’s just me remembering the total embarrassment walking out of Boone Pickens stadium after being down 56-7 at halftime.

Last edited:

Yeah LEC is the child here. (Sarcasm, for when you dis-ignore me. )

Last edited:
Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Just to add perspective and not including teams that are now P5 that weren’t then:
- In 4 years Bill had 1 P5 win on a neutral field
- Todd had 1 P5 road win in 5 years
- Kragthorpe (IIRCC) had none in 4 years
- He who shall not be named - zero
- Dave had multiple wins at home (T A&M, Iowa, OSU -a couple of times) and beat OU and Mizzou on the road. I think he also had wins against Kansas and Kansas State.

So except Kragthorpe, who was a very good coach, but had less opportunities than Monty all of the the previous coaches were able to win P5 games (except he who shall not be named) with fewer attempts.
Rader is the only one who has much of am argument for being better with his 1991 team. The rest of the 90's were pretty bad and those OU and OSU teams he beat were terrible. The Kansas teams probably were too.

Graham beat ND in Kelly's first year, and after we knocked out their starting QB. Great game to witness though.

Blankenship got a good W over an Iowa State team that beat us earlier that season. We lost games to bad Arkansas and SMU tems that year though too, and we know how things dropped off the face of the earth after that season.

Monty has had to compete against tougher competition in conference than any of those coaches did, and maybe even played more blood games too (tOSU ×2, MSU, Texas, OU, OSU, U of A) and been more competitive than at least Blank and Graham. Remember those guys getting run out of the barn against OU & OSU mutliple times?

It's been a slow and some times painful build, but I think Monty at this point is maximizing the recources given him, and has put a good product on the field when you consider our circumstances.

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
We've got to the point again where our own fans have accepted that this is the norm, haven't seen that since I was in school during the Burns tenure.

It's sad anyone should have to be reminded when a decade ago we had double digit wins regularly.
Double digit wins in Conference USA. The competition has increased. Our recources have not kept up. Yet Monty has gotten us to a point of at least being very competitive against much bigger programs. If you want us to win more, pony up that T. Boone money.

Double digit wins in Conference USA. The competition has increased. Our recources have not kept up. Yet Monty has gotten us to a point of at least being very competitive against much bigger programs. If you want us to win more, pony up that T. Boone money.
So you’re saying we need to find an unethical rich Texan to bankroll our program… there are plenty of those out there.

Reactions: HuffyCane

Quit rewriting history. Those OSU and OU teams were terrible? Monty has beaten........

UCF, that's his big claim to fame right now, beating a UCF team who didn't finish ranked. Got his brains beat in by a terrible Arkansas team that lost to North Texas. Spanked by tOSU twice.

Graham beating a top 25 team in a bowl is better than any of that. Graham winning at ND is better than anything Monty has dreamed of doing here and certainly more than anything he has accomplished.

Kragthorpe's Liberty Bowl against Fresno St is better than any win or competitive game (we lost by 3 touchdowns to tOSU is that even competitive?) from Monty.

Blankenship's win against Iowa St in the Liberty Bowl is better than anything Monty has done.

I can list eight wins from Radar that are better, which is remarkable when you think about the total wins the man has as a coach.

We were winning ten games or more multiple times, beating top 25 teams, and playing in big bowls, but yeah sure Monty losing by three touchdowns is the best this program has been in 30 years.

I have no idea how your reply to LEC is even tangentially related to what he said.

He didn’t claim you mentioned firing Monty, he didn’t attack you for pointing out facts, and wasn’t childish. He said what everyone here agrees with:

“No one here likes Monty.”

The next sentence is where I suspect you and LEC disagree:

“But we appreciate yesterday’s effort.”

That was it. Seems to be a pretty straightforward and fine opinion.

I’m pretty certain LEC has mentioned he is ready to move on from Monty. I’ve melted many times and mentioned we should fire him during this season. Nevertheless, I don’t have a problem saying that yesterday the team performed well and represented TU in a good light for 56 minutes of the game.

How was his reply relevant to mine?

Did it address my point about how much an overstatement losing to Ohio State by 21 is the best we have seen from a coach in the last 30 years?

Did he say it was incorrect? Prove that it was? Did he support the asserted claim? Or did he just chime in with a remark because he thinks I'm only here to be negative (although I was only factual).

Is this the fifth or sixth time he has done that? Is LEC being a three year old who simply says I don't like this and gets mad? Recent interactions suggest yes.

Now to your final point:

Games are sixty minutes long and this bull:crap: of awwwww schucks we only lost at the end could be applied to seventy five percent of games we have lost for seven years. This game doesn't even meet that requirement though, we lost by 21, that isn't close, it just isn't the 50 everyone expected

I mean TU played respectable for 59 minutes of that UC Davis game right? What about that Arkie St team we lost to at home with the end around from our own endzone that was a good showing for 58 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT