ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio state game thread

Quit rewriting history. Those OSU and OU teams were terrible? Monty has beaten........

UCF, that's his big claim to fame right now, beating a UCF team who didn't finish ranked. Got his brains beat in by a terrible Arkansas team that lost to North Texas. Spanked by tOSU twice.

Graham beating a top 25 team in a bowl is better than any of that. Graham winning at ND is better than anything Monty has dreamed of doing here and certainly more than anything he has accomplished.

Kragthorpe's Liberty Bowl against Fresno St is better than any win or competitive game (we lost by 3 touchdowns to tOSU is that even competitive?) from Monty.

Blankenship's win against Iowa St in the Liberty Bowl is better than anything Monty has done.

I can list eight wins from Radar that are better, which is remarkable when you think about the total wins the man has as a coach.

We were winning ten games or more multiple times, beating top 25 teams, and playing in big bowls, but yeah sure Monty losing by three touchdowns is the best this program has been in 30 years.
It seems you're blinded to the big picture that is a college football program. Sometimes you have to look beyond the black & white of a box score. Collect your mind and try again.

It seems you're blinded to the big picture that is a college football program. Sometimes you have to look beyond the black & white of a box score. Collect your mind and try again.
Yes you do have to look beyond the box score. That is why looking at last years record can give people some false beliefs.. We were lucky to beat ECU, Tulane and probably SMU last year - I have the games recorded and have watched each several times over the summer. We have a team that can compete with others in the AAC but game planning, in game adjustments and game management are critical to get a win. Monty coached a good game on Saturday against tOSU, he didn’t in games 1 or 2 and I’ll leave it at that.

Yes you do have to look beyond the box score. That is why looking at last years record can give people some false beliefs.. We were lucky to beat ECU, Tulane and probably SMU last year - I have the games recorded and have watched each several times over the summer. We have a team that can compete with others in the AAC but game planning, in game adjustments and game management are critical to get a win. Monty coached a good game on Saturday against tOSU, he didn’t in games 1 or 2 and I’ll leave it at that.
That’s due to a lot of factors, one of them being we are running a high school offense that depends upon an experienced QB reading a defense correctly. If the D you are facing is disguising nothing, it’s a lot easier to move the ball snd keep it close. We won’t see a D like Ohio State again, just running basic packages with no disguises and depending on pure athleticism to stop the run and defend most of the pass.

That
Yes you do have to look beyond the box score. That is why looking at last years record can give people some false beliefs.. We were lucky to beat ECU, Tulane and probably SMU last year - I have the games recorded and have watched each several times over the summer. We have a team that can compete with others in the AAC but game planning, in game adjustments and game management are critical to get a win. Monty coached a good game on Saturday against tOSU, he didn’t in games 1 or 2 and I’ll leave it at thaThat's fair enough

That's fair enough. I know we won close games. We got a big break against ECU, and there were about 4 passes Brin threw against Tulane that could have been intercepted. None of that is reason for the level of negativity displayed by some on this board though.

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
That

That's fair enough. I know we won close games. We got a big break against ECU, and there were about 4 passes Brin threw against Tulane that could have been intercepted. None of that is reason for the level of negativity displayed by some on this board though.
Your original premise was no coach in the last 30 years could do what Monty has done. As a former player, fan and person very close to the program over the last 45 years I do not believe that to be an accurate assessment.

• Love
Reactions: HuffyCane

I was doing the same thing you were a few weeks before the season started again. I swear Zaven tipped at least 3 games from the L into the W column for us based on his play alone last year. Tulane, SMU and the UCF game where he started things off getting the safety in the end zone, an interception and several sacks on their QB.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
That crazy wind storm that blew in at halftime is what beat SMU last year. Buechele couldn’t throw into it or with it.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Your original premise was no coach in the last 30 years could do what Monty has done. As a former player, fan and person very close to the program over the last 45 years I do not believe that to be an accurate assessment.
That's fine. Tell me a time in the last 30 years we've went toe to toe with a team as good as the Ohio State team we just played besides A&M in '91.

I guess we kept it close for a half with OU in the 2000's before getting killed in the 2nd, but that's all that comes to my mind.

That's fine. Tell me a time in the last 30 years we've went toe to toe with a team as good as the Ohio State team we just played besides A&M in '91.

I guess we kept it close for a half with OU in the 2000's before getting killed in the 2nd, but that's all that comes to my mind.
My last response on this topic name one TU coach in the last 30 years that lost to an FCS team? One game doesn’t make Monty a great coach just like one loss doesn’t make him a bad coach. It is his body of work over 7 years!

Quit rewriting history. Those OSU and OU teams were terrible? Monty has beaten........

UCF, that's his big claim to fame right now, beating a UCF team who didn't finish ranked. Got his brains beat in by a terrible Arkansas team that lost to North Texas. Spanked by tOSU twice.

Graham beating a top 25 team in a bowl is better than any of that. Graham winning at ND is better than anything Monty has dreamed of doing here and certainly more than anything he has accomplished.

Kragthorpe's Liberty Bowl against Fresno St is better than any win or competitive game (we lost by 3 touchdowns to tOSU is that even competitive?) from Monty.

Blankenship's win against Iowa St in the Liberty Bowl is better than anything Monty has done.

I can list eight wins from Radar that are better, which is remarkable when you think about the total wins the man has as a coach.

We were winning ten games or more multiple times, beating top 25 teams, and playing in big bowls, but yeah sure Monty losing by three touchdowns is the best this program has been in 30 years.
My last response on this topic name one TU coach in the last 30 years that lost to an FCS team? One game doesn’t make Monty a great coach just like one loss doesn’t make him a bad coach. It is his body of work over 7 years!
The only coach with sustained success was Todd Graham whose staff did a nice job recruiting talent in CUSA.
Damaris and Charles could play against anybody with success. However , our bowl games with Todd were always
against lightweights when we should have been playing better teams (which was not our choosing).

Nice deflection. Being as close to the program as you are, I hope you've went and talked to Montgomery, and Dickson personally about your complaints instead of just posting it all on the internet. That would help things out more than anything.

However, our bowl games with Todd were always against lightweights when we should have been playing better teams (which was not our choosing).
His inability to win a conference championship probably had something to do with that too.

Your reading comprehension seems to be slipping, I said if he wants to keep him fine. At no point did I say fire Monty.

I pointed out that this is just repetitive praising of a losing coach for getting close, essentially getting paid almost 2m a year for moral victories. I then gave several facts that repudiated the claim this is the best TU in 30 years stuff.

Your reaction, attacking me for pointing out facts you don't like, is amusing for how childish a reaction it is. Santa isn't real either, sorry if that ruins your Christmas.
You sound like my crazy mother. No worries.

We pretty much went toe to toe with OU in 2016. Wasn't the final score something like 56-42?

Something that Monty has actually done that no other coach has done at TU in 30 plus years? Lose to an FCS team.

If you want to keep him as a coach fine
The above is what LEC was replying to, you act as though even of us want to keep Monty.
I mean TU played respectable for 59 minutes of that UC Davis game right?
C’mon man you know playing @ Ohio St and coming up close and losing at home to UC Davis are not remotely comparable other than they’re both a loss.

Monty should be fired for losing to UC Davis and the past few seasons (though last year was an anomaly in big thanks to the defense and Zaven). However, that doesn’t mean we can’t also appreciate the positive moments from tOSU game and getting to enjoy their fans completely melting over “OMG we are going to lose to Tulsa?!?! Little ‘ole Tulsa?!?!”.

If you don’t want to enjoy the sport a little and see how you can enjoy part of a game, still be disappointed in a L, but not have fun.

I just don’t think being a sports fan, especially of Tulsa, is for you. You act as though we should win every game we play or the coach should be fired. That’s ludicrous.
Maybe try Alabama, Clemson, OU, or tOSU (when Urban was there).

Again, should we win vs UC Davis? Hell yeah. Could we have won the game @ Okie St? Yes and probably would’ve, maybe. However it’s been 50+ years since we’ve done so.

We haven’t beaten a Top 10 team since a single player on our team has been alive.

In summary? Almost everyone here wants Monty fired. Very few, if any, think he’s a good coach. BUT those facts don’t mean that we, well most of us, can not also appreciate how hard the team played in Ohio Stadium vs a Top 10 team and kept it close until the end.

I hope we win out and he still gets fired due to the loss to UC Davis. I highly doubt we win out and I’ll be surprised if he’s the ball coach at TU next season.

We pretty much went toe to toe with OU in 2016. Wasn't the final score something like 56-42?
Yeah something along those lines. Monty was the coach too. I don't know of any other TU coach performing like that against a high end P5 team other than Rader in '91 though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT