ADVERTISEMENT

🏀 News/Notes Official -- TU hires Eric Konkol as next head coach

Media release...

TULSA, Okla. –– The University of Tulsa confirmed Monday night that Louisiana Tech's Eric Konkol will be introduced on Tuesday as TU's 31st head basketball coach. A welcome party and news conference will begin at 5:30 p.m. at the Donald W. Reynolds Center.

A meet and greet with Coach Konkol will take place for fans and TU students following Tuesday's news conference.

Seems like an excellent choice to restore TU's time-honored tradition of winning 17 to 21 games a year. Glad to see that we continue to tap into the rich and storied University of Miami coaching tree.

Seems like an excellent choice to restore TU's time-honored tradition of winning 17 to 21 games a year. Glad to see that we continue to tap into the rich and storied University of Miami coaching tree.

vince-vaughn-negative-town.gif

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
La Tech hasn't been to a NCAA tournament since 1991 according to wikipedia. So knock him if you want for falling short of that, but it looks like he has been a pretty good steward of the program since Mike White left. Mike White never took them to the NCAA tourney either, btw, but he did win conference championships. Konkol did too, and not just with leftovers, he did it with his own players.

He hasn't proven he can build a program from scratch, which is basically the task here, but he has proven he can maintain competitiveness over the long term with the top of his conference. Count me as optimistic.

it looks like he has been a pretty good steward of the program since Mike White left.
Good steward of the program, decent record but accomplished nothing real, strong focus on defense, skinny intense looking pasty looking dude... Oh god....

"I'M BACK BITCHES!"

FWOSUHMBERDDFAR.20131014191510.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Clong83a
Good steward of the program, decent record but accomplished nothing real, strong focus on defense, skinny intense looking pasty looking dude... Oh god....

"I'M BACK BITCHES!"

FWOSUHMBERDDFAR.20131014191510.jpg
He looks like Jack Nicholson in the shining, chopping down the bathroom door. “Here’s Johnny!!!!”

Reactions: chito_and_leon
We will never lose another basketball game with Konkel. We will get all the good Oklahoma recruits. I'm ready for the Natty's coming our way. KONKEL PARTY BABY!

He looks like Jack Nicholson in the shining, chopping down the bathroom door. “Here’s Johnny!!!!”
Doesn't he?? That's from the CoC website so the guys in the SID office were like "dude, he looks like a total psychopath in that picture." "Yea, that's the least crazy he goes." "ok, post it then".

There are weird coincidences here. Konkol worked for Buzz, coached at the same place as Frank and looks like Doug. I wonder if his son's name is John Phillips Konkol?

• Haha
Go tonight and see for yourself. LaTech fans speak highly of Konkol & are disappointed he’s leaving. I don’t know anyone who was disappointed when we let Wojcik go.

Go tonight and see for yourself. LaTech fans speak highly of Konkol & are disappointed he’s leaving. I don’t know anyone who was disappointed when we let Wojcik go.
Honestly if he can get us to 25+ wins after a year or two, I don't care how much of a D bag he might be. You just can't be bad and a D bag.

Doesn't he?? That's from the CoC website so the guys in the SID office were like "dude, he looks like a total psychopath in that picture." "Yea, that's the least crazy he goes." "ok, post it then".

There are weird coincidences here. Konkol worked for Buzz, coached at the same place as Frank and looks like Doug. I wonder if his son's name is John Phillips Konkol?
I’ll just leave this here…. https://www.dougwojcik.com/

I don’t think Konkol has his own weird self promoting website, so we can count at least that as a difference. The thing about Woj is that when he tries to smile for the camera, the crazy comes out instead.

I don’t think Konkol has his own weird self promoting website, so we can count at least that as a difference. The thing about Woj is that when he tries to smile for the camera, the crazy comes out instead.
Oh lord, I really hope LEC doesn't notice the Contact page on Wojick's site. That might not be the kind of contact Woj was looking for.

Oh lord, I really hope LEC doesn't notice the Contact page on Wojick's site. That might not be the kind of contact Woj was looking for.
Right above his contact info, it says in bold letters
“ Tulsa’s all time winningest coach”

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
TG also had his own site. Me and my buddy always got a kick out of the url. toddgrahamfootball.com/tu like it was already prepped for the next school he was heading to

Reactions: drboobay

What a prick! Needs a cease and desist letter for use of the logo.

Went to the introduction tonight. Konkol talked about recruiting the Tulsa area and the state of Oklahoma. Said his teams will play a strong D and that his style should be exciting to watch but more importantly produce victories. Said he has already contacted the area and state coaches thru email and that he and his staff will be very visible at the local games and throughout the community. Said the D will play man to man sometimes full court and with different trapping schemes. Will also go to a zone when needed. They want to be the aggressors on both the O and D sides of the ball. If any players want to see the court, they better be ready to play defense.

Went to the introduction tonight. Konkol talked about recruiting the Tulsa area and the state of Oklahoma. Said his teams will play a strong D and that his style should be exciting to watch but more importantly produce victories. Said he has already contacted the area and state coaches thru email and that he and his staff will be very visible at the local games and throughout the community. Said the D will play man to man sometimes full court and with different trapping schemes. Will also go to a zone when needed. They want to be the aggressors on both the O and D sides of the ball. If any players want to see the court, they better be ready to play defense.

The entire introduction including q&a from the press is available to watch on epsn+
Press conference is also at the bottom of this article from Larry Lewis...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT