ADVERTISEMENT

Official OSU Prediction Thread

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
Summertime is over. It's time to lace 'em up and get after it.

New season, new QB. Offense will look very different. Question is, does the coaching staff even know what it's going to look like?

So appreciative of our orange friends stopping by to pokesplain football to us. They exemplify the old Switzer quote: "You were born on third base. Quit acting like you hit a triple."

Unfortunately, the spread looks about right.

Underfunded: 30
Overrated: 44

Bonus Kendall prediction: Brewer gets 185 yards rushing.
Double Bonus Kendall prediction: Shindelar gets a pick.

Ttown. 30 The overly inflated fanbase 49, 1 OSU garbage time TD.

Last edited:
Tractors 41
Protractors 21

But it's tied at half and closer than the score line.

Bonus:
Brubaker has monster game before being ejected for targeting/excessive celebration, etc.

Double Bonus Prediction:
Houle's Farm & Garden sells out of the morning after pill on Friday.

Tractors 41
Protractors 21

But it's tied at half and closer than the score line.

Bonus:
Brubaker has monster game before being ejected for targeting/excessive celebration, etc.

Double Bonus Prediction:
Houle's Farm & Garden sells out of the morning after pill on Friday.

Love the idea of a Double Bonus Prediction, but the thought of this particular one is quite disturbing. Maybe we should Bah, Bah, Back off this one a bit.

Reactions: HuffyCane and Gold*
TU's QB situation concerns me. OSU has won the last five in the series by an average of 17 points. No team has ever won six straight in this series. I think OSU is a able to put scoreboard pressure on TU which will result in mistakes from the young QBs as they are forced to pass the ball downfield. If weather is good TU will have to score in the mid 40s to have a shot. That a tall task on the road against a top 10 opponent with an inexperienced QB. TU needs to be +3 in the turnover for the upset. A wet field would also help (there's a chance of rain fwiw).

Cane. 28
Boys. 45

TU's QB situation concerns me. OSU has won the last five in the series by an average of 17 points. No team has ever won six straight in this series. I think OSU is a able to put scoreboard pressure on TU which will result in mistakes from the young QBs as they are forced to pass the ball downfield. If weather is good TU will have to score in the mid 40s to have a shot. That a tall task on the road against a top 10 opponent with an inexperienced QB. TU needs to be +3 in the turnover for the upset. A wet field would also help (there's a chance of rain fwiw).

Cane. 28
Boys. 45
I'm wondering if we will try for the long ball or mainly stick with slants as far as passing , I think you will see Tulsa try to get the running game established before they try to start passing . Should be interesting

I want this one in the worst way but the combination of the best receiving corps in the nation (according to anyone who projects these sort of things) and a probable 1st round quarterback will just be too much. I think we can run the ball well enough to burn clock and play keep away from the Pokes for only so long. In the end, we just don't have the playmakers at receiver to do much else. Soooo. Tulsa 17 OSU 49

Summertime is over. It's time to lace 'em up and get after it.

New season, new QB. Offense will look very different. Question is, does the coaching staff even know what it's going to look like?

So appreciative of our orange friends stopping by to pokesplain football to us. They exemplify the old Switzer quote: "You were born on third base. Quit acting like you hit a triple."

Unfortunately, the spread looks about right.

Underfunded: 30
Overrated: 44

Bonus Kendall prediction: Brewer gets 185 yards rushing.
Double Bonus Kendall prediction: Shindelar gets a pick.

Free history lesson. The born on third base and thinks he hit a triple is actually an Ann Richards quote concerning George Bush.

I think TU is going to run, run, run to try and control the clock and minimize OSU's possessions. This will be OSU's first year running the 3-4 Defense as well as starting some very young players on defense. I see this going down one of two ways.

1) If OSU can get a few key stops early and get our offense the ball back they should put the game away early by forcing the young TU QB into some trouble throwing from behind the chains......TU 17 - OSU 49.

2) OSU can't contain the TU run game and TU is effective at ball control, eating the clock this will be a very low scoring game (by OSU standards) and will be close going into the 4Q. Pokes squeak one out in Stillwater TU 24 - OSU 31.

I think TU is going to run, run, run to try and control the clock and minimize OSU's possessions. This will be OSU's first year running the 3-4 Defense as well as starting some very young players on defense. I see this going down one of two ways.

1) If OSU can get a few key stops early and get our offense the ball back they should put the game away early by forcing the young TU QB into some trouble throwing from behind the chains......TU 17 - OSU 49.

2) OSU can't contain the TU run game and TU is effective at ball control, eating the clock this will be a very low scoring game (by OSU standards) and will be close going into the 4Q. Pokes squeak one out in Stillwater TU 24 - OSU 31.
I kind of feel the same way, although if it's close , I give it to Tulsa since I'm a Tulsa fan haha

Reactions: okie_hunterfisher

OSU is not going to be a 3-4 scheme, we will run some but still a base 4-3.

This is my NSFW synopsis of the above ....

This is my NSFW synopsis of the above ....

RR-Instant-Classic-long.jpg.6480fc78540363f2cfe9e993d7a1d8d0.jpg

The new defensive front will be for the predominantly passing offenses we'll see in conference. I think the odds of seeing it in our game are slim as i earlier said I think you guys will try and run behind that big OL.

Reactions: TULSARISING
OSU will run the 4-3 at least 70% of the time Thursday night imo.
Playing the 3-3-5 against Tulsa would be insanity. You'd give away your size advantage as your ends played 5 technique and stood up undersized Tulsa tackles and hope the LBs hit the right gaps and can tackle. Plus, their interior lineman are all brand new. You gonna ask them to play the zero and lean strong, but still cover the backside? That's a lot to ask new guys. Meanwhile you are showing one safety lined up on center but 13 yards off the line against a QB averaging 5 yards a pass? Plus the single safety means every single snap TU is looking for man lock on the inside as a green light to go deep or bubble screen flat depending upon who Tulsa has in the game at WR. TU looks to throw deep on every play regardless of down or distance. If the man matchup is there and they don't show help, we are going heave it. And this guy thinks you'll see a base defense that never shows help and plays cover 3 soft 8 yard cushion by design? No thanks. That's setting yourself up for failure.

You might see some multiple 3 looks with 8 in the box to confuse a new QB on third and short but the stack won't happen. It won't make any sense. It gives away personnel advantages and plays into Tulsa's strengths: technique to exploit poor gap coverage.

Conversely, look at Tulsa on offense versus a three man front. TU has over sized guards and under sized tackles. You kick out your guards to defeat the OSU ends and fold your tackles inside to collide with the outside linebackers who have gap responsibility. That leaves your RB free through the line at a Mike that has to guess right on every play or it's off to the races (TU fans may remember inexplicable long runs under Graham. Those were caused by this mismatch and the sideline guessing wrong on the gap for the mike.). The wild card is your zero or one technique over the Tulsa center. A disruptive nose can cover two gaps and make up for LB mistakes or downfield blocks by pulling OL. The OSU tackles are inexperienced and under sized and there's only one in the game. I like our Rimington Award nominee in that matchup, particularly on the third or fourth first down of a drive. This blockin scheme is just one base offense example of how Tulsa would pick OSU apart in a stack. When you start thinking about Tulsa rope a doping our tackles against their ends and sending our 6-6 325 guards down hill at their linebackers, 8 to 10 yards a carry is inevitable. Don't believe me? Go back and watch the first half of the Ohio State game when they were playing 3 plus a stand up LB on the line. We moved the ball at will when they showed that alignment.

Last edited:
Reactions: theSeanDon
Fellas,

OSU runs a 4-3 defense. The reason is because that the proper numerikal ordar.

The UNIVERSITY OF OF OKLAHOMA STATE 69
Tulsa 00

Pistols firin,

Pokenmike1

Edit: By 69 I mean Steve Bannon

Last edited:
It was actually Jim Hightower at the DNC convention who swiped it from Switzer, who had said the quote like 16 years earlier. Ann Richards made the comment about being born with a silver spoon in his mouth. But thanks for stopping by. Gotta luv pokesplaining.

LOL it was a silver foot. There nothing funny about a silver spoon. The born on third was also in Ann Richards speech. 16 years earlier would have been 1972 so I don't think the drunk said it then. It actually a line used by many I can assure you Barry never came up with anything original that had any words longer than four letters The idea of him lecturing anyone on entitlement is ridicules. There's never been a more entitled individual in the history of college football.

LOL it was a silver foot. There nothing funny about a silver spoon. The born on third was also in Ann Richards speech. 16 years earlier would have been 1972 so I don't think the drunk said it then. It actually a line used by many I can assure you Barry never came up with anything original that had any words longer than four letters The idea of him lecturing anyone on entitlement is ridicules. There's never been a more entitled individual in the history of college football.

Farm to Market must be as young as his post count...

Reactions: TU_BLA
Yes, Switzer was born a poor (entitled) white boy.

The only thing you happened on by surprise that is of any merit...
'It('s) actually a line used by many...'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT