ADVERTISEMENT

Now you see...

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
This is the reason he should have been fired a month ago. Presented fait accompli, before all of his buddies had time to organize, this would be a done deal by now. There would have been grumbling but admission that things have been stalled for almost two years.

Wait till the end of the season, many said. That will be the time, they said. And I am sure they are still going to fire him but now there will be this hue and cry for a few weeks. It will drag on a bit after the season is over. The Unionestas will be in an uproar and it will be like the Great Radar Debate about whether Judy fired him over the phone or she called him on the phone to her office and he wouldn't come down and be fired properly.

JP quit on Christmas. Don't look for Blankenship to go on Thanksgiving Weekend of his own free will. Blood in the streets will follow.

If TU allows the local media clowns to dictate our hiring and firing decisions in regards to our athletic coaches then we deserve another 2-10 disaster. That said, BB will not be the head football coach of TU come December 1st.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
If TU allows the local media clowns to dictate our hiring and firing decisions in regards to our athletic coaches then we deserve another 2-10 disaster. That said, BB will not be the head football coach of TU come December 1st.
Yeah, I was intentionally being overboard. But if we had acted earlier before this mini campaign by the media there would have been less adverse publicity. After it is final things die down quicker. And yes, he will be gone when all is said and done.

I didn't take it that we'd be letting the media dictate, just that we've basically given them time to build the pro-BB machine that will continue after he's fired.

That's going to be the story instead of our coaching search...

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

just that we've basically given them time to build the pro-BB machine that will continue after he's fired.
That's what I simply do not understand. How on earth is there any form of a pro-BB machine? Other than family members a few family friends. I'm with barrister on this. I don't get the support amongst the media.

This isn't the Sapulpa Daily Herald or the Sand Springs Leader where the sports editor is hamstrung to only report the positives about the local high school football team. I thought the Tulsa World was a big-boy paper of some sorts. This might be the only time I wish Sittler was still around. He might've already called for BB's head. And he'd be the only one.

Kelly Hines thinks BB will be gone at the end of the season...only realist amongst the bunch. Unfortunately the media cannot separate their personal feelings for BB and him being an overall good guy from their basic duty of being unbiased and presenting an objective view on the actual job he has done as head coach. Its not quite that time for them to burn the bridges.

I said it the other day...Hoover's article doesn't offend me simply because its his opinion based on what information he was given about the academic side. He simply failed to look at the 25 year progression of those academic policies and how they evolved into what it is now. This was put in motion at least 25 years ago when Donaldson was President at TU. When you look at it that way versus Hoover's take of TU dropped this on BB all of a sudden, then you can't really spin it as something that BB all of a sudden had to adjust his recruiting to. I think Hoover is the only one that I give a pass to on this because he can be as critical about what is happening as much as he can be supportive. He never worries about asking the tough questions to any of the head coaches in the state as evidenced by Stoops basically blowing him off. He doesn't take the Dean Blevins approach of gluing his lips to Stoops' A$$ or any of the other coaches and I feel like he has always been fair to TU whenever he writes a story about TU.

BLA - disagree with you. Hoover is a bb apologist.

In an earlier blog column, he mentioned that he wouldn't criticize bb because the HC job is so much more demanding/challenging than his. Huh? Every city but Tulsa they would be screaming for his head.

I think the President of the United States has more on his plate than just about everybody. Given Hoover's throught process, let's not critcize him....

Hoover has Q&A column where question are twitted to him. One set of questions were very straight about TU. I'll summarize but you can seek the whole column if you want.

Q. Are the requirements for athlete's to transfer classes the same for all students, athletes or not?
A. Yes.
Q. Are there other AAC schools that have similar policies.
A. [He only gave one] SMU requires that transferred hours be from a 4 year University [hence not a community college] and that to transfer they must be at least a C-.

Hoover said he would not detail why he thought athlete's should be given special treatment. Then explained why he thought athlete's should be given special treatment: They often come from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds and this provides them with a chance to move up.

Originally posted by TUMe:
Hoover has Q&A column where question are twitted to him. One set of questions were very straight about TU. I'll summarize but you can seek the whole column if you want.

Q. Are the requirements for athlete's to transfer classes the same for all students, athletes or not?
A. Yes.
A. [He only gave one] SMU requires that transferred hours be from a 4 year University [hence not a community college] and that to transfer they must be at least a C-.

Hoover said he would not detail why he thought athlete's should be given special treatment. Then explained why he thought athlete's should be given special treatment: They often come from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds and this provides them with a chance to move up.
BUT giving athlete's special treatment or a different set of standards is against NCAA rules. Universities have ways to give special treatment (training tables, free tutors, etc.) that they can disguise and get away with those. All universities closely guard their admissions standards and hence why they only give averages when discussing statistics with regards to ACT/SAT scores, class ranking etc. because they always accept some below that avg. BUT, if schools start playing with definitive limits it gets messy. The avg. is how athletic depts. get away with admitting marginally qualified candidates.

I tweeted at Hoover as well. He said Tulane and SMU don't have as stringent a policy when it comes to transfer credits. My point was TU won't allow someone to take a class at TCC to replace a failing grade at TU because the 2 courses in terms of difficulty are inherently not equal. Students at TU retake classes all the time AT TU to replace poor grades and boost GPAs. My understanding from way back was the only way to replace a grade was to retake the course at TU.

I don't think you are accurately reporting what Hoover said. Type and guess less, read more.

This post was edited on 11/21 2:21 PM by Gold*

Originally posted by TUMe:

A. Yes.

Figured SMU would be at least as tough. Tulane is even moreso, I'm sure, and they are in the heart of disadvantaged socioeconomics. (Not that I give that argument any merit.)

More like those two and less like Houston and Memphis academically is always the correct answer.

This post was edited on 11/21 2:09 PM by TUBballJunkie

Latest tweet from Hoover in response to my counter that TU's predicament is more based on poor in game adjustments and bad offensive game plan and his response was:

John E. Hoover[/B]
‏@johnehoover

15m15 minutes ago

@The_Twenty_Two I hear ya, and can't disagree.

Gold, not so sure who you are directing your venom at. Hoover is one of the few local media you can have a discussion with, either in person, on twitter, or some other media. He referenced speaking with 2 people at TU and he also referred to the fact that TU has a new athletic academic counselor that seems to be getting things righted. I have no idea why you think I would misrepresent what our discussion was. I don't agree with Hoover's opinion that BB deserved another year and I have nothing to gain by misrepresenting what his response was. I actually appreciate his willingness to listen and debate without dismissing differing opinions. I can't say that about other local media members.

I'm not directing venom at anyone. I think Hoover wrote a good article in that it introduced a worthwhile discussion. I just think the evidence supports the opposite decision of what he's advocating. I've defended him on multiple levels, including the Alley.

My point to you is that I think you need to work in your writing skills. I think you are a good poster and clearly care about TU. But sometimes you confuse the point by typing more words than needed. Case in point, TUMe correctly summarizes Hoover's article above. You do not. Those types of rambling Cowherdeque posts, where you address issues beyond the scope of what is at issue it that anyone wants to hear, really distract from the quality of your contributions. Not trying to hate. I'm trying to help.

Understood. I think we stated the same thing regarding Hoover. I think he is fair in his treatment of TU, but like most us, disagree with his conclusion on this one.

Later post was simply a conversation and the points he and I had via twitter regarding his story. In the end there are bigger issues than the academic requirements.

On another front, our beloved local media, namely Hines and Plank, just concluded a conversation on the Buzz and neither sees how BB is around next year. Kelly also described the situation as extremely awkward because she still has a job to do but there is a giant albatross in the room for every interview.

Can someone answer how and where he got the information? No way he got the specifics from the admission office or AD. This came from a desperate BB and he should be fired for it. Again, why do people keep saying he is a good guy? He threw a coach to the street so he could hire his kid. I would say this is not what good people do!

When asked about situation on Twitter he referenced that he talked with at least 2 people at TU and 1 SMU about transfer credits/policies but didn't name them or affiliation with their schools. He also alluded to a Tulane policy so I would assume he spoke to someone there as well. He als referenced TUs new academic advisor in athletics so I am presuming he spoke with him some about this. Hoover isn't a dummy. He's going to get info corroborating/contradicting BBs point before going to print.

But, what he didn't do before going to print was see if this "change" at TU was anything unique.

Sure, compared to UNC everyone has a rigorous academic policy for athletes. But, if other people are successful with the same rules we have, it isn't an excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT