ADVERTISEMENT

Now being reported Cincinnati

You should probably get your eyes checked because there's been a massive UH flag hanging off of Beltway 8.

Walmart and Academy all over the city had UT, A&M and UH banners hanging from the ceilings and lots of gear.

There's a reason why we went P5 and it wasn't because of The Big 12 inviting us out of the kindness of their hearts.
What do you do when Tilman quits funding you?

It’s very difficult for independents to schedule late season home games. Back when we were Indy, 5 game home schedules were the norm with some seasons only having 4 home games.

And where are you going to put the Olympic sports, in the conference with ORU? That would be exciting.

Tell me how 5k a game is going to bring in more money as a 6th home game over a good 'ole fashion but whoppin' as a big school's early season warm up or late season "rest" game? That is why we are playing Ohio State. Any OU or OSU home games we get are just cheap recruiting trips for them.

Independent in football and a place in the Mo Valley in other sports might be the way for Tulsa like it was a few decades ago If we have learned ANYTHING since 1980 Tulsa basketball is all about the coach, not the conference, so get back to the stepping stone status that got us one breath away from the Final Four 20 years ago.

This is predicated on Tulsa being around as a university in 5 to 10 years. Many may not like to hear that real possibility, but that is the reality that will drive sports decisions going forward. Money is why we STILL have a football head coach no one wanted and STILL have a mediocre basketball coach. It will take another "Miracle on 11th" to keep this drowning castaway afloat.

Independent in football and a place in the Mo Valley in other sports might be the way for Tulsa like it was a few decades ago
With the rumor that Memphis & Boise State are now being considered by the RIG12 the AAC will be down to 7 football members meaning we would have to go out & find 5 new members or split-up and merge with other conferences. Sun Belt is trying to poach our leftovers which I think is a possible future (not happy about it but) or maybe we could try to join the MWC which I'd rather see. No really good choices out there but going independent is just not viable.

Reactions: TulsaAM
Yes Rice was terrible. I watched for a few minutes but it was obvious they were hapless.

Tell me how 5k a game is going to bring in more money as a 6th home game over a good 'ole fashion but whoppin' as a big school's early season warm up or late season "rest" game? That is why we are playing Ohio State. Any OU or OSU home games we get are just cheap recruiting trips for them.

Independent in football and a place in the Mo Valley in other sports might be the way for Tulsa like it was a few decades ago If we have learned ANYTHING since 1980 Tulsa basketball is all about the coach, not the conference, so get back to the stepping stone status that got us one breath away from the Final Four 20 years ago.

This is predicated on Tulsa being around as a university in 5 to 10 years. Many may not like to hear that real possibility, but that is the reality that will drive sports decisions going forward. Money is why we STILL have a football head coach no one wanted and STILL have a mediocre basketball coach. It will take another "Miracle on 11th" to keep this drowning castaway afloat.
Your predication that the university might fold in 5-10 years is not going to happen. They have an incredibly large endowment. They fixed their financial problems as well as their accreditation problems.

The changes the university made to it's curriculum bother some people, myself included. But many of these changes ensure that the school won't shut down. For people bothered by those changes, it is not for fear of it closing, but fear that the institution will be lessor in it's mission.

Reactions: drboobay
Your predication that the university might fold in 5-10 years is not going to happen. They have an incredibly large endowment. They fixed their financial problems as well as their accreditation problems.

The changes the university made to it's curriculum bother some people, myself included. But many of these changes ensure that the school won't shut down. For people bothered by those changes, it is not for fear of it closing, but fear that the institution will be lessor in it's mission.
Tulsa HAD access to an incredibly large endowment...

Tulsa HAD access to an incredibly large endowment...
They still do. In 2020 it was reported as still being over 1 billion. This was after going through the energy crash, and all the bad investments and loans that they had to reaarange.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
So I feel the same way I did when teams left CUSA for the Big East before the Catholic schools broke off and the AAC was formed. Since it is happening again but this time to a “Power 5” conference, I don’t know how they can call themselves that after losing Oklahoma and Texas.

My question is why don’t we just go back to being an independent? We can schedule better games that way and are not locked in to Arky State or North Texas or Western Kentucky.
TU now receives 7 million per year from ESPN…that is gone if you go independent.

Houston is a significant city in our alumni base and critical for recruiting. I despise the program but we need to be viewed as equals with them in the area. Trust me, them leaving hurts us a lot in living rooms where we need to win.
Bring back Rice?

You should probably get your eyes checked because there's been a massive UH flag hanging off of Beltway 8.

Walmart and Academy all over the city had UT, A&M and UH banners hanging from the ceilings and lots of gear.

There's a reason why we went P5 and it wasn't because of The Big 12 inviting us out of the kindness of their hearts.
No, it is the Big12 inviting you out of desperation to save the conference. If they though Houston brought anything substantial they would have invited you when A&M, Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska left but instead they decided on a tiny school in Ft. Worth and geographically isolated West Virginia. Taking you now is grasping for the line as they are trying to not sink. You aren't going to bring the money that Texas brought, Hell the four additions aren't going to bring that money.

If Houston was such a worthy addition it would have happened long ago.

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
Won't matter by then cause we'll already be back in a power conference and we have other donors as well.

Same way Ok State is still managing without T.Boone Pickens.
Is OK A&M managing without Pickens? Questionable, which is why they are concerned at the revenue drop with the loss of Oklahoma and Texas from the Big 12. Also, they are concerned with the addition of schools like yours that don’t add anything to their conference but an attempt to share their shrinking conference revenue with you. Think that will last long, Kitty? You’ll be looking for another conference when OSU, KU and others leave the Big whatever conference.

The new schools coming into the big 12 are the only ones who want to be in the big 12, save for others who are on the outside. Weird situation but I get wanting the extra money and (maybe) easier playoff path.

No, it is the Big12 inviting you out of desperation to save the conference. If they though Houston brought anything substantial they would have invited you when A&M, Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska left but instead they decided on a tiny school in Ft. Worth and geographically isolated West Virginia. Taking you now is grasping for the line as they are trying to not sink. You aren't going to bring the money that Texas brought, Hell the four additions aren't going to bring that money.

If Houston was such a worthy addition it would have happened long ago.
So in other words even a desperate Big 12 doesn't want Tulsa

Yet this so-called high school went P5 before Tulsa.
Just let it go man. It's apples and oranges. Tulsa has never been "competing" with Houston's football path to P5. We're a tiny school in a town that's apathetic to any football except high school football and OU. We were a dominant program in the 1920s through the 1960s before TV markets were a thing. I live in Texas, I don't get why you're so blindly high on UH... At least show some objectivity... Nobody talks about TCU or SMU on sports radio in the metroplex, it's always UT / A&M and the Cowboys. I'm sure in Houston it's the same thing except add the Texans to the mix. Whether you like it or not (or it blunts your ego maybe?) Jerandlaur is right, the Big 12 didn't give Houston an invitation a few years ago when you guys beat OU and were flying high with your gay kissy face coach. They didn't want you then, they're trying to preserve their conference and "power" status, we'll see what happens. Nobody knows... Tulsa isn't going to be playing for a national championship in my lifetime, nor will Houston. Stop having a pissing contest on the deck of the Titanic...

Reactions: 4tu2
Just let it go man. It's apples and oranges. Tulsa has never been "competing" with Houston's football path to P5. We're a tiny school in a town that's apathetic to any football except high school football and OU. We were a dominant program in the 1920s through the 1960s before TV markets were a thing. I live in Texas, I don't get why you're so blindly high on UH... At least show some objectivity... Nobody talks about TCU or SMU on sports radio in the metroplex, it's always UT / A&M and the Cowboys. I'm sure in Houston it's the same thing except add the Texans to the mix. Whether you like it or not (or it blunts your ego maybe?) Jerandlaur is right, the Big 12 didn't give Houston an invitation a few years ago when you guys beat OU and were flying high with your gay kissy face coach. They didn't want you then, they're trying to preserve their conference and "power" status, we'll see what happens. Nobody knows... Tulsa isn't going to be playing for a national championship in my lifetime, nor will Houston. Stop having a pissing contest on the deck of the Titanic...
It'd be nice if you were able to calm your tits on the homophobia. Tom Herman isn't gay, and he's secure in that. Being insecure in your sexual orientation is not the best modus operandi.

You obviously haven't been in Europe for very long, or at all.

Reactions: TU83
The major reason for adding teams to the Irate8 is to preserve the conference and collect what will likely be in the neighborhood of 200million from the buyouts. That split between the 8 gives them a few years to pad things and see how things play out. They just needed placeholders, and with the exception of BYU, that’s what they’re getting.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It’s all luck of the draw that happened 40+ years ago. If TU had been in the right place at the right time (as in following OSU to their new conference), TU would look very different today… probably VERY similar to TCU or Baylor in regard to support, facilities, and recognition. There are many other schools who are riding the coattails of their big brothers in conference and reaping the rewards ($$$), but for those of us who weren’t dealt a winning hand 50 years ago, I’d say TU has done so much with a lot less than our counterparts in conference.

Last edited:
Hard no on Liberty for me. It's basically ORU on worldwide crack. I think the AAC needs to balance geography with what's in the conference now. UMASS does that, Charlotte, UAB, and <pick a school>. Maybe UTSA? Lots of eyeballs in San Antonio and the Roadrunners are a program with potential in lots of sports. UAB is a competitive winner. UMASS has a ton of support. Charlotte is that new program with a lot of potential and in a city that is seemingly craving teams to root for. Sure some will support the Research Triangle schools, but Charlotte is sort of away from that area and a different type of citizenry and fan base from the Raleigh area. There's a ton of potential eyeballs and supporters with Charlotte and a boost in competition will probably provide a boost to their recruiting. Ideally Aresco would pursue some programs in P5s and get them to look ahead. TCU and Vanderbilt will almost assuredly be left out of any FBS Super League conversation.
So we would become the "Little East"?? We actually are better off if we move the geography west....The
MWC plus Any thing that would not be very far East of the Ol' Mississippi would actually make more
sense.....UAB I like...UTSA is in a large (and rapidly growing) media market....Their future looks good.....

The situation right now may not be the very best......Pretty Slim Pickins"!

Coog high has never been considered a higher education gem. They are prioritizing athletics over education which Is not a good long term strategy.

also, joining a disintegrating conference that will probably lose another 3 of the original members in the next couple of years seems foolish, but Cooging it at the university level is always the strategy these morons use.

Coog high has never been considered a higher education gem. They are prioritizing athletics over education which Is not a good long term strategy.

also, joining a disintegrating conference that will probably lose another 3 of the original members in the next couple of years seems foolish, but Cooging it at the university level is always the strategy these morons use.
So Tulsa would have turned down the invite?

Of course not. Houston did exactly what we would have done.
I think you are correct but part of me says the financial analysis might have persuaded TU to take a wait and see approach. Buyout of AAC obligations, entry fee to B12 vs wait and see if after next round of B12 school losses result in the merger of remainders and AAC.

Reactions: loca2874
I think you are correct but part of me says the financial analysis might have persuaded TU to take a wait and see approach. Buyout of AAC obligations, entry fee to B12 vs wait and see if after next round of B12 school losses result in the merger of remainders and AAC.
This right here and the fact that unlike TU, coog high has been brown nosing the big 12 for quite a while. It’s a combination of the big 12 is desperate and them just giving in to the nagging wife (coog high)

Reactions: TU_BLA
You’ll be looking for another conference when OSU, KU and others leave the Big whatever conference.
Where are these two going to go? I can’t see another conference inviting either, although OSU football could have something to offer someone I guess. Kansas is stuck where they’re at.

Where are these two going to go? I can’t see another conference inviting either, although OSU football could have something to offer someone I guess. Kansas is stuck where they’re at.
Kansas and Iowa St will eventually move to the B1G. WVa will move to the ACC. The PAC12/B1G/ACC alliance will destroy the Big XII as an entity because 1) they can and 2) the money that gets redistributed to the other 4 conferences after the demise of the Big XII will be $10M for each school in those conferences. And ESPN is going to make it worth their effort to kill the conference as well as do everything they can to destroy Fox's college football product.

OSU will also be gone sooner rather than later.

Red D Coog

Tulsa will be in a conference with Houston eventually its just a matter of time.

OSU, Tech, Baylor and TCU will not be in the B-12 a few years from now.

NO worries Bro.

Good Luck on Friday!!!

GO TU!!!

And? Houston High has 46,000 students and Tulsa has 4,000, was that supposed to sting? I'm surprised that Tulsa is still playing FBS. The difference between you and me is that I didn't peak in undergrad and my ego isn't wrapped up in a football team. I have no need to go on someone else's board and brag that my team was the 8th choice to join a dying conference. Have fun. I don't give a :crap:.

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaGrad07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT