ADVERTISEMENT

Notice of major NCAA violations to KU

Loss of 1 scholarship for 1 year.
Only one coach can make visits for one year.

I’ll be surprise if it’s more than that.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I thought the penalties of the 1970’s were the toughest......no television exposure for one year. People would livestream now. No post season play is the best option now.

NCAA can’t afford loss of ticket sales and ratings without KU. I think they should suspend coaches and athletic staff.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
please NCAA gods, give KU a one-year probation

please NCAA gods, give KU a one-year probation
KU does some bad stuff to try and land a kid (like get him a shoe contract before he's a pro), and they'll probably not face any real consequence. We saw that the NCAA has been neutered by the blue bloods with their non-action against UNC who had a 15 year history of academic fraud with their athletes. SMU has one secretary complete coursework for 1 kid and they're thrown to the wolves.

And what are they going to do after California, New York, and other states pass the bills to get college athletes paid for their likenesses? Nothing. They keep threatening to make those teams ineligible for NCAA tournament play. Maybe they'll do that with California for a year but what happens when North Carolina passes the bill? Anyone really think the NCAA is going to tell Duke and UNC they can't play in the NCAA basketball tournament? NOT. A. CHANCE.

KU does some bad stuff to try and land a kid (like get him a shoe contract before he's a pro), and they'll probably not face any real consequence. We saw that the NCAA has been neutered by the blue bloods with their non-action against UNC who had a 15 year history of academic fraud with their athletes. SMU has one secretary complete coursework for 1 kid and they're thrown to the wolves.

And what are they going to do after California, New York, and other states pass the bills to get college athletes paid for their likenesses? Nothing. They keep threatening to make those teams ineligible for NCAA tournament play. Maybe they'll do that with California for a year but what happens when North Carolina passes the bill? Anyone really think the NCAA is going to tell Duke and UNC they can't play in the NCAA basketball tournament? NOT. A. CHANCE.
I think they'll take that to the supreme court in all honesty. I think it throws too much of a wrench in Title 9. The NCAA is giving dissimilar support for men's scholarship sports to profit off their likeness than they are women's. Basically one might argue that a women's rowing program should be given similar opportunities for their athletes to benefit from their likeness as men's football athlete's are (meaning tv time etc...)

Paying players for their likeness opens too big a can of worms. No one wants to see a college football or basketball player running around campus in a Ferrari. I don't even think NBA / NFL execs would want that. It's also pretty :crap:ty. We'll see a bunch of Houston players decked out in swag while our players might get a $20 check from EA Sports for their jersey being in the next game. Paying the players like that kills college sports as we know it.

I think they'll take that to the supreme court in all honesty. I think it throws too much of a wrench in Title 9. The NCAA is giving dissimilar support for men's scholarship sports to profit off their likeness than they are women's. Basically one might argue that a women's rowing program should be given similar opportunities for their athletes to benefit from their likeness as men's football athlete's are (meaning tv time etc...)

Paying players for their likeness opens too big a can of worms. No one wants to see a college football or basketball player running around campus in a Ferrari. I don't even think NBA / NFL execs would want that. It's also pretty :crap:ty. We'll see a bunch of Houston players decked out in swag while our players might get a $20 check from EA Sports for their jersey being in the next game. Paying the players like that kills college sports as we know it.
If it went to SCOTUS now, it would get through. Trump and Devos want to get rid of Title IX anyway (as well as a host of other rules under education)...and DeVos wants to go back to "separate but equal" by using school vouchers. Plus, it is not using federal funds...my guess is that is how they push it through. Then again, since it is only coming from "blue" states right now, current version of SCOTUS might scuttle it just because.

So who knows how it ends.

If it went to SCOTUS now, it would get through. Trump and Devos want to get rid of Title IX anyway (as well as a host of other rules under education)...and DeVos wants to go back to "separate but equal" by using school vouchers. Plus, it is not using federal funds...my guess is that is how they push it through. Then again, since it is only coming from "blue" states right now, current version of SCOTUS might scuttle it just because.

So who knows how it ends.
I'm not disagreeing that it would get through the supreme court, I just don't think it should. It's not using federal funds but it is disadvantaging women's programs that do receive federal funds in addition to men's programs who receive federal funds and are in states that won't necessarily have massive $$$ to give to recruit players.

Johnny Football is basically what happens when you pay players. Some might handle it well, but a ton of them will be detrimentally effected. The only way paying players works is if you institute a draft. That's why the MLB, NHL, MLS, NBA, etc... all have drafts... because if you don't then the leagues are detrimentally effected and no one gains.

Reactions: Clong83a
I’m betting Rod has his hand out for a little of that $ for Bryce.....
You make that claim because he probably won't be coming to Tulsa? That's a vindictive thought I would rather you keep off this board. I assume a lot of others would agree with me. If you retract that post so will I.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Not just Rod but you think all those 5 stars are going there just because it’s Kansas your an idiot. People are getting paid....

NCAA has taken down Louisville and Arizona, but not a name as big as KU. If this game is to ever be clean, it's going to take some big time punishment.

The SMU death penalty probably did more to clean up football recruiting than anything that has happened.

Loss of 1 scholarship for 1 year.
Only one coach can make visits for one year.
I’ll be surprise if it’s more than that.
Really? The rumors around the violations seem to suggest that much
more rigorous recruiting violations Occurred....Of course, in keeping
with the NCAA 's past performances: The "biggies" get the rubber ruler
slap on he wrist, and the little guys are handled with base ball bats......

If you don't believe that, you didn't read your history assignments! A
lot of talk in D.C. lately about the obvious misapplication of the rules
that justice should be equal for everyone......It's been going on at the
NCAA for years.....Those old timers at the NCAA know which side of
their bread is buttered...By Whom, and Why! Of course, that in no way
should alter the severity of their decisions! (Wink, Wink, Nod, Nod!!!)

Really? The rumors around the violations seem to suggest that much
more rigorous recruiting violations Occurred....Of course, in keeping
with the NCAA 's past performances: The "biggies" get the rubber ruler
slap on he wrist, and the little guys are handled with base ball bats......

If you don't believe that, you didn't read your history assignments! A
lot of talk in D.C. lately about the obvious misapplication of the rules
that justice should be equal for everyone......It's been going on at the
NCAA for years.....Those old timers at the NCAA know which side of
their bread is buttered...By Whom, and Why! Of course, that in no way
should alter the severity of their decisions! (Wink, Wink, Nod, Nod!!!)
He wasn't advocating that penalty. He was saying that the penalty would be lighter than what they probably deserve, due to them being a cash cow for the ncaa. At least that was my interpretation of it. He was essentially making the same point as you.

Apparently it appears Bill Self is the choice to escape the penalty by joining the NBA in San Antonio. Has that ever been done before? I feel sorry for Bryce.

Reactions: Gold*
What’s sad is all the schools he is looking at have been involved in some of the most deplorable scandals in recent years. OSU and KU are caught up in the FBI deal. Academic fraud at UNC. Rape at Michigan State. Capel, et al and Sampson before that.

I guess Texas is the only one that’s not, but they’re effing Texas and not very good.

I realize time heals wounds, but if I was Rod, I’d have a hard time letting my son look at OU or OSU. “Should have played us back in the day.”

NCAA has taken down Louisville and Arizona, but not a name as big as KU. If this game is to ever be clean, it's going to take some big time punishment.

The SMU death penalty probably did more to clean up football recruiting than anything that has happened.
Are you kidding? Virtually nothing happened to Louisville. They fired Pitino and Jurich. Pitino sued Louisville and the settlement allows Pitino and his HR file to say he resigned. As far as I can find, they have yet to be sanctioned for the adidas thing and their recruitment of Brian Bowen (and payments to his parents by the UL assistant coaches). This is on the heels of the other major violation which caused the NCAA to vacate the 2013 National Championship and a 1 yr postseason ban in 2017 for Hooker-gate. If anyone deserves the death penalty, it's Louisville.

KU is going to get off pretty easily. Maybe 1-2 lost scholarships for 3 yrs, some assistant coach will get fired (probably Norm Roberts), and 3 years probation meaning absolutely nothing. Until the NCAA starts having the probation also mean loss of an NCAA share money OR no postseason for the duration of the probation period, nothing will change.

How does Sean Miller still have a job in Arizona? We all know he arranged for payments to the big kid everyone wanted and that was funneled through Nike (that shoe should drop soon).

Reactions: Clong83a
He wasn't advocating that penalty. He was saying that the penalty would be
lighter than what they probably deserve, due to them being a cash cow for the
ncaa. At least that was my interpretation of it. He was essentially making the
same point as you.

In re-reading it, I agree...I sometimes get so frustrated by the inequity of the
NCAA's rather systematic bashing of the little guys, and the penalty-lite
handling of the NCs, Ks, Ky, & Yes, Louisvilles, etals....

It has never been more obvious.....

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina
O$U
OU

All dirty. NCAA needs to throw the book at them all.

Slick Willie was handing out money to young men even back in the day. Lol

Slick Willie was handing out money to young men even back in the day. Lol

I have heard the story about the dude at Elmer's before from the owner of Elmer's/ I was at lunch with colleagues from ORU and one of my supervisors (who essentially knows every living being in the city of Tulsa), walks in, gets our large party (15) seated right away and the guy brings us a couple of slabs of ribs to nosh on while we waited for our orders. He and Bo would always talk basketball and they'd talk all the way back to Ken Trickey's days and the Self story came up.

Kansas
Kentucky
North Carolina
O$U
OU

All dirty. NCAA needs to throw the book at them all.
Funny thing is, Kentucky hasn't been thrown around much during this shoe scandal. Cal knows how to get it done after his lessons at UMASS and Memphis. Now he just promises the one and done's they never have to step foot in a classroom.

I should be in charge of NCAA Infractions.

North Carolina academic scandal- 5 years probation, 3 scholarships lost for 3 years (total 9), postseason ban for 2. Forfeit all NCAA share money from the first reported incident of academic fraud until the conclusion of the investigation. Roy Williams barred from coaching/recruiting for 2 years (think Sean Payton type of suspension). NO TV, NO LIVE STREAMING

Kansas- 3 years probation, 3 years no postseason, forfeit all NCAA money from the time those 2 athletes participated, Self- 2 yrs no coaching/recruiting NO TV, NO LIVE STREAMING

NCAA needs to get back to barring TV appearances. Can you imagine Duke/UNC not on TV for anyone regardless of where it is played? Can you imagine Duke fans wanting Roy Williams' head on a platter because of that?

Louisville- death penalty for the basketball program (2 major violations in 5 years). No recruiting, no organized team activities for 2 years. Players are free to transfer wherever they want, no sit-out.

Schools would clean their act up if this happened. It took SMU 20+ years to even get back to respectable in football. It would take Louisville 7+ (probably easier to recover in basketball) and that's if they got the right coach in the right situation.

I know...this is all a pipe dream. The NCAA has been neutered by the P5 (and somewhat owned by them as well).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT