ADVERTISEMENT

North Campus

TU 1978

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2009
I have been thinking about TU’s north campus lately since I spent much of my 4 years there when the engineering school was there.

I haven’t been over to that part of town when we’ve visited in recent years but I understand TU has sold off or leased the main building and the school footprint there is much smaller than the 1970s.

Here’s the question that my older (or maybe chemo) brain has puzzled over recently. Was there an old blue school bus that ran between the north campus and main campus? I seem to remember riding that bus, but often it didn’t meet my schedule and I’d wind up driving there. It’s great to see the engineering school as part of the main campus today. Today’s engineering majors probably feel more connection with the rest of the school than we did nearly 50 years ago.

Yes, there was an old bus that ran between the main campus and the North Campus. Don't remember if it was blue.

I spent 3.5 years at TU and lived on campus for 2 and this is the first time I ever heard of a north campus. I thought they kept the nerds... err, engineers ... in a building over to the right of ACAC?

The biggest problem with the north campus was that the classes started on the half-hour. You could easily make it there in 10 minutes or less, but then you had to wait somewhere for 30 minutes for the class to start.

Same thing in reverse when heading back to the main campus.

At the very least, it gave me an extra hour per day to sit in the car and listen to AC/DC cassettes.

Reactions: TU 1978
I spent 3.5 years at TU and lived on campus for 2 and this is the first time I ever heard of a north campus. I thought they kept the nerds... err, engineers ... in a building over to the right of ACAC?
It was Petroleum Engineering only for quite some time. I believe it was also a lot of research projects as opposed to general classes in p.e., but I might be wrong.

Keplinger Hall opened in 1983. Engineering was in an old run down building on North Lewis until then.

Also, the law school was not on campus. It was in a small two story with basement building at 5th and South Cincinnati. I was at the TU law school from September 1970 until December 1972 in that facility. My graduating class (December 1972) was the last class to attend the Downtown building.

Also, the law school, in my time, operated on a trimester system. We had classes from September to December; January to April; May to July. The month of August was off. A full time day student could graduate in 7 trimesters or 2 1/3 years. The day classes were mostly held between 8 a.m. and noon. Most day students had part-time jobs at the Courthouse or with law firms. There was also a night law school. That was part-time and generally took 4 years to complete. Also, while it was possible to take the summer off there were required courses only offered at that time like Criminal Procedure. When I graduated from law school and passed the Oklahoma Bar I was only 24 years old.

There was very little interaction with the campus. In the winter of 1972 some of the law students formed an intermural basketball team. We were very good. One of team members was a former center for OSU. We easily beat the TU football team's intermural basketball team.

Until Keplinger was built, all engineering classes were at the north campus for every major. Petroleum had the indoor drilling rig and in the mid 1970s a small house was constructed to study solar energy applications. It was fun to plan class schedules and when finals came around there were some challenges as well in getting from one campus to another in a timely manner.

Also, the law school was not on campus. It was in a small two story with basement building at 5th and South Cincinnati. I was at the TU law school from September 1970 until December 1972 in that facility. My graduating class (December 1972) was the last class to attend the Downtown building.

Also, the law school, in my time, operated on a trimester system. We had classes from September to December; January to April; May to July. The month of August was off. A full time day student could graduate in 7 trimesters or 2 1/3 years. The day classes were mostly held between 8 a.m. and noon. Most day students had part-time jobs at the Courthouse or with law firms. There was also a night law school. That was part-time and generally took 4 years to complete. Also, while it was possible to take the summer off there were required courses only offered at that time like Criminal Procedure. When I graduated from law school and passed the Oklahoma Bar I was only 24 years old.

There was very little interaction with the campus. In the winter of 1972 some of the law students formed an intermural basketball team. We were very good. One of team members was a former center for OSU. We easily beat the TU football team's intermural basketball team.
I think you can still see signage for TU law on that downtown building. I think it might be next to the Arco building.

Although I was a health sciences/ pre-Med and not an engineering student, I had my chemistry and physics classes and labs up there. And yes the bus was blue, and I was never sure if it was going to make it up there. I ended up driving my Chevette most of the time.

And nobody wanted to be my chemistry lab partner. I broke more stuff, and one time flooded some cabinetry by causing a water leak.

The biggest problem with the north campus was that the classes started on the half-hour. You could easily make it there in 10 minutes or less, but then you had to wait somewhere for 30 minutes for the class to start.

Same thing in reverse when heading back to the main campus.

At the very least, it gave me an extra hour per day to sit in the car and listen to AC/DC cassettes.
i tell people i used to own Ace Frehleys album and was proud i did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT