ADVERTISEMENT

NIT

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years since our first NIT championship and 20 years since the last one.

John Phillips coached us to our last NCAA win. Many of our students were not even born. I think it was in Spokane.
It was. I was there. Parker didn’t miss a shot all night. Maybe two at most. It was a great game.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
Reading that pizzez me off. As you said, there will never be a lower buy out. Time to pay the buy out and take our chances with someone different.
You do understand that the passage of time and multiple changes we’ve made since then means that Haith isn’t the problem, right? “Someone different” is going to face the same deficiencies and obstacles that Haith faced.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Done in the next game with the “wide open corner three” due to a slow close out by one of our best players. Maybe the most tragic loss in TU history. The opposite of the Dawkins shot. The end of the best TU basketball era from 1994-2003.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
You do understand that the passage of time and multiple changes we’ve made since then means that Haith isn’t the problem, right? “Someone different” is going to face the same deficiencies and obstacles that Haith faced.

We need to again emphasize to you that basketball is different from football where I defer to you on deficiencies and obstacles. Basketball can be turned around by the right staff much more quickly and as you know, new coaches get more of what they ask for the first two years from the administration. A couple of coaches told me it was 10x easier getting administrative response when they were first hired.

We need to again emphasize to you that basketball is different from football where I defer to you on deficiencies and obstacles. Basketball can be turned around by the right staff much more quickly and as you know, new coaches get more of what they ask for the first two years from the administration. A couple of coaches told me it was 10x easier getting administrative response when they were first hired.
And you’ve just highlighted the problem as I see it. The program shouldn’t be responding to a coach, especially one who has never been a head coach before which is what we are likely talking about. We had a series of guys come in and change things around and none of it suited Tulsa or made us successful. If coaches told you the admin wasn’t responsive, that’s probably because they weren’t producing the results they promised and tried to deflect blame.

I get that a coach and four guys in a van can drive up here after winning the Longsteer JUCO conference championship and can win some games. Who and how he recruits after that is the trick, right? How does he retain them? What do we do to attract and retain practice players to make those four guys even better? Amongst the obstacles we can control, there are management and infrastructure issues that should be addressed that have a profound effect on the program before we start blaming it wholly on Haith and expecting the next guy to be better. We need to take a look in the mirror, remember we aren’t the program we once were, and make the changes that need to be made with the resources we have. New coaching blood will help. It’s not the sole answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaFan2000
I’m sure I have sat with you in some of those NCAA tournament games throughout the years.

We now have an Athletic Director who seems responsive. That was a huge first step. The Board of Trustees and the new President will hopefully add to that. Meanwhile let’s get those four guys and Coach you are talking about. 😀For those who haven’t noticed, the nation’s leading scorer is a Freshman 7 miles south of TU. I wish we had put him in your van last year.

Yes, lot of changes since 2003. Biggest change is our basketball program has gone the wrong direction.
I think the things you speak of, are excuses being used by some to avoid criticizing the bad job Haith and others have done. I'm not buying into it myself.
I don't need to repeat what I expressed the day Haith was hired.
I still believe we could have hired better for the money paid in his first contract, for the reasons I expressed that day.

Last edited:
I want to personally recognize what TUMU told us the day Haith was hired. Many of us were skeptical but we trusted Gragg to save us. TUMU quickly and repeatedly warned us of what was happening at Missouri. Hat's off to TUMU , very late of us to acknowledge your statements.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TUMU
I follow two schools and I want both to be successful. I'm not hiding from it and I know that doesn't sit well with some.
Financially, I 100% support Tulsa.

I’m sure I have sat with you in some of those NCAA tournament games throughout the years.

We now have an Athletic Director who seems responsive. That was a huge first step. The Board of Trustees and the new President will hopefully add to that. Meanwhile let’s get those four guys and Coach you are talking about. 😀For those who haven’t noticed, the nation’s leading scorer is a Freshman 7 miles south of TU. I wish we had put him in your van last year.
Hiring Gragg from Eastern Michigan the program with the lowest football attendance in the country by far was always going to be a disaster.

Lets hope the future is brighter with Dixon, I'm sure it will be.

GO TU!!!!

Reactions: TULSARISING
TU does as little as possible to promote men’s football and basketball .
They want to stay small potatoes and their effort reveals it.

Where were those obstacles when we were beating Houston and winning three straight road conference games? I have cut Frank plenty of slack over the years, but this one is totally on him.

Haith is not THE problem but he is not the solution either. Hate to say it because I like his demeanor and many of the off the court things he brings to the table. But really, does it make sense to pay over a million dollars annually for the level of entertainment we are getting? It is that simple really.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT