ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
You know college sports is totally screwed when you have positions like this created to recruit and retain college athletes. Schools are not supposed to entice athletes with promises of NIL deals, but you know it’s happening and will just get worse with positions like this being created.

General July 26, 2022

Barry Hinson To Head Up OSU’s NIL Program​

STILLWATER, Okla. – In a continuing effort to be among the country's leaders in Name, Image and Likeness programming, Oklahoma State Athletic Director Chad Weiberg has announced Barry Hinson as OSU's first full-time NIL administrator.

"Over the last two years we have assembled an outstanding team to help provide robust NIL opportunities for our student-athletes," said Weiberg. "What we were missing was someone who could quarterback our team. With his experience coaching and recruiting, and his deep-rooted love of OSU, Barry is the perfect fit to coordinate our efforts, connect the pieces and lead our NIL team."

Hinson, who has been a member of head basketball coach Mike Boynton's coaching staff for the past three seasons, will assume his duties as OSU's associate athletic director for NIL immediately. In his new role he will head up the athletic department's NIL efforts by conceptualizing and coordinating programming and resources that lead to enhanced NIL opportunities for student-athletes. He will also educate external stakeholders on the benefits of engaging with OSU's student-athletes.

"I love OSU and I love our student-athletes," Hinson said. "This position provides an opportunity to promote and build mutually beneficial relationships for everyone involved."

"I am very grateful to Chad and OSU Athletics for this chance, and of course very appreciative of coach Boynton. He gave my wife and I a chance to come home."

Hinson is a native of Marlow, Oklahoma. He and his wife, Angie, both attended Oklahoma State. Upon his graduation, Hinson launched a basketball coaching career that began at Stillwater Junior High School and saw him eventually serve as head coach at Tulsa Bishop Kelley and as head coach at Oral Roberts, Missouri State and Southern Illinois. During his collegiate career, he twice worked for OSU grad Bill Self, at ORU and at Kansas.

Oklahoma State Athletics has embraced the launch of NIL in college athletics. Over the last 13 months, OSU has partnered with the OSU Brand Squad, INFLCR, The BrandR Group, Altius and Recur to provide education, content, compliance and partnerships for its student-athletes.

Reactions: loca2874
If his job is to network with businesses to find and establish opportunities for existing players that seems fine. Sort of like an internship coordinator. If it is about recruiting inducements then not ok.

NIL is about recruiting and trying to keep guys from hitting the portal!

It's the haves v. the have nots type of world!

It is a little embarrassing when the guy scoring 20 points a game gets nothing while a guy scoring 10 a game is getting $50,000. They have lockers side by side. It will affect the team chemistry for sure.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU1NNJ
It is a little embarrassing when the guy scoring 20 points a game gets nothing while a guy scoring 10 a game is getting $50,000. They have lockers side by side. It will affect the team chemistry for sure.
It might be but if a company wants to sponsor one athlete and not the other then that is their right. The athlete doing all of the extra stuff “promos and photo shoots etc” that the other athlete is not doing should not be sharing in the money made. Just like I tell waiters “if you do not like the wage your making, then go somewhere else.” Same with this. If you are not getting what you need here then go somewhere else.

Reactions: drboobay
Let me be totally clear on my stance. I don’t thing any STUDENT Athlete should be paid because they play a sport . You get a job or own your own business then by all means kill it. I am 1000 percent against NIL.

Reactions: TU Man and TU_BLA
Let me be totally clear on my stance. I don’t thing any STUDENT Athlete should be paid because they play a sport . You get a job or own your own business then by all means kill it. I am 1000 percent against NIL.
They are getting paid to do PR based on their celebrity.

That is how it should work.

And it seems just if other students can do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT