ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
For those of us that rely on the star rating system to judge our FB and BB recruits, note that the #2 and #3 players taken in this years draft were a Rivals 3-star and a Rivals 2-star player.

And hopefully another Rivals 2-star player from Tulsa goes in the 1st round

For those of us that rely on the star rating system to judge our FB and BB recruits, note that the #2 and #3 players taken in this years draft were a Rivals 3-star and a Rivals 2-star player.

And hopefully another Rivals 2-star player from Tulsa goes in the 1st round
If memory serves, the North Dakota kid was the two star and only had an Air Force offer. He turned down Harvard too.

#16. Wow, Zaven. That’s higher than most thought. Here’s his draft bio.

Overview
Combines rare size and athleticism as a big outside linebacker. Collins is a team-oriented defender willing to plug gaps and spill the action wide for teammates to run down. He's rangy with the burst and length to track and capture his prey from the back side or out on the perimeter. His athletic gifts help him overcome his tardiness in diagnosing the action. There is still room for improvement when it comes to taking on blocks and pursuing with proper leverage so cutbacks don't cross his face. The second effort is evident with how frequently he's able to recover from an early block and still make plays. He's aware and dangerous in spot drops with the read and reaction to jump the passing lane. Collins could use more aggression in his play demeanor, but his combination of talent and traits should make him a productive pro starter.
Strengths
  • Three-year starter and winner of Bronco Nagurski Award.
  • Consistent, impact production in all three seasons.
  • Freaky combination of size and athleticism for linebacker.
  • Range to make plays all over the field.
  • Sees opportunities to swoop downhill and attack holes in blocking scheme.
  • Size and knock-back power to take on blocks.
  • Burst and length to track down runners from backside.
  • Terrific second effort as a tackler.
  • Recovers from blocks and gets back into the play.
  • Plays disciplined team defense, filling his fits and spilling plays wide.
  • Good awareness of air traffic in zone coverage.
  • Reads quarterback and slides into passing lanes.
  • Had four interceptions in 2020, including two he returned for touchdowns.
Weaknesses
  • Would like to see a little more alpha aggression from him.
  • Doesn't always impose size and control blockers with his hands.
  • Instincts and diagnosis are just average.
  • Needs deeper fill to leverage and constrict run lane.
  • Can improve pathways getting from Point A to Point B.
  • Rushed pursuit and overran cutbacks versus Oklahoma State's outside zone.
  • Needs time to gather and change direction due to size.
  • Average reactive agility in the hole.
  • Not a natural rusher when turned loose off the edge.

Smart choice. Not much to be gained but ego stroking.

Interestingly, Arizona plans on playing him in the middle at the Mike linebacker position. Very much Urlacher-esque.

Kingsbury might be an offensive guru, but I bet nobody sleeps on that defense. That defense should give Murray and Kingsbury a ton of opportunities to put up some big numbers.

Kingsbury might be an offensive guru, but I bet nobody sleeps on that defense. That defense should give Murray and Kingsbury a ton of opportunities to put up some big numbers.
They lack the OL to compete and keep Murray from running for his life on every snap. While I like the fact that Zaven went pretty high in the draft, Arizona needs some serious OL help and I wouldn't be surprised if they pick 3-4 OL with their remaining draft picks

They are Team Speed. Their pattern seems to be taking the fastest guys at whatever position is needed.

They lack the OL to compete and keep Murray from running for his life on every snap. While I like the fact that Zaven went pretty high in the draft, Arizona needs some serious OL help and I wouldn't be surprised if they pick 3-4 OL with their remaining draft picks
You are correct, their O line play is abysmal. I hope they can fix it quickly, but that may be another year of draft picks and free agency. Just saying that defense is going to create opportunities. I

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT