ADVERTISEMENT

New university ranking

Certainly can't hurt. Colorado School of Mines is an apt comparison in terms of academics. Seems like they did a good job with the rankings.

One place where it always seems like we need improvement is in the "research" category on these types of rankings. Seems like we need to invest in graduate programs outside of just the business school.

One place where it always seems like we need improvement is in the "research" category on these types of rankings. Seems like we need to invest in graduate programs outside of just the business school.
Hopefully reinstating the physics and chemistry Ph.D. will help in the long run.

The Physics program is ranked like 165. It’s on life support.

The Physics program is ranked like 165. It’s on life support.
Well then they need to improve it.

When I was there I believe Roger Blaise ran that program. You need great physics and Chemistry to support engineering. And now life sciences.

When Carson started the gig he put out a request for input on things that could be done to improve the university. I sent him a message proposing adding a renewable engineering major / course path which would mostly mean taking courses from the mechanical and electrical engineering courses and combing them as well as adding in some software / computer analytical courses from the computer science school. I never heard a reply.

We have trouble getting the right candidates in the field right now as every engineer tends to be specialized in one of the previously mentioned fields or another. It would be good to have a petroleum engineering like multi-disciplinary aptitude but related to electrical energy generation / storage / transmission. (Actually our petroleum engineers, of which I am one, tend to be well prepared for the multiple disciplines as far as analytics and mechanical engineering, but they aren’t as well trained in electrical engineering or time series / sensor analysis as is needed)

I did have the opportunity to bring on a TU grad to replace me in my previous position which was nice.

I’m sure AEP (PSO’s owner) would be willing to throw some expertise and my company would be interested In getting better prepared employees.

Right now the research and recruiting is being dominated (needlessly) by Iowa, Oregon, and Carolina schools.

Last edited:
A condensed version of the above: We could create a valuable new degree program with quite a bit of job demand, without having to add much faculty or many new courses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT