ADVERTISEMENT

📢 ALERT New TU Baseball book + book signing opportunity

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Roger Whitaker, the starting left fielder on Tulsa’s 1969 College World Series team, recently published a new book – The View from the Dugout.

Now available to purchase on Amazon, The View from the Dugout is a hard cover book that is perfect for the coffee table. Its 206 pages are stocked with stories and pictures from Tulsa’s historic run of quality baseball teams in the 1960’s and 70’s.

Several former TU players will be signing books over Homecoming weekend, and Roger @rgw1650 has provided us with info on how you can get your book signed.

Roger has purchased about 100 extra books that he will have for the book signing that can be purchased for $45 each. You can also buy the book on Amazon.com (which is linked in the article below). These extra books will be available for sale on October 8th at LaFortune golf course during the TU Lettermen's Golf Tournament and hopefully at the football game on October 9th. Players will be at both events to sign the books.

Here are a few options for the public:

1. Buy the book(s) on Amazon now. If they want the book signed by the players, bring their book to one of the signing events on October 8th or 9th to be signed.

2. Buy the book(s) from Roger at La Fortune on October 8th. A few players will be there to sign. However, several of the players are playing golf so not all players will be there at the same time between 10-3.

3. Buy the book(s) from Roger at the football game on October 9th. A few players will be there to sign.

4. Buy and reserve as many books as you want from the 100 books to be sold to the public, and Roger will get it signed for you, if you want it signed. You will need to pay Roger via Venmo or Paypal to hold a book(s) for you and get it autographed. You can pick up the books on the October 8th or 9th events, or Roger can mail it to you after he gets the books signed for the out of town fans that can't make it to any of the events. You would pay for the delivery charge (shipping).

Chris,
Thanks so much for promoting the book. I just want everyone to know this is a book about the players and the stories we decided to share after 40-50 years that we always kept inside the dugout. Just a couple bits of information about the program that is covered in great detail in the book. The TU baseball program started in 1900 and lasted for 81 years. One shocking discovery doing my research, TU had a women's baseball team in 1930. I cover in great detail the games. But mostly what we the players felt and the stories that went on behind the scenes. The bantering between dugouts and lots more.
I was also encouraged to address the elephant in the room, why and how the program was terminated. Not exactly graceful. But the full story is in the book.

So far I have sold over 200 books and just now promoting the book to the public. I cannot say enough about the great support by the TU athletic office, especially Rick Dickson, Don Tomkalski and Bruce Howard in giving me anything I needed to write the book. One last point I want our followers to know, I did not write this book to make profits. I have a passion for the baseball program and my University of Tulsa that gave me a chance to play a game I love, a great education and friendships that will last forever. I told the players, that any money I make on the book will be donated back to the university in some form decided by the players and Rick Dickson. Dream scenario, we start a "bring baseball back fund". The players responded by donating additional monies above the price of the book from their purchasing books as well. So, my point to everyone, if you decide to buy a book, you will be helping us donate back to the university. I guess I am old fashion and value the education I received in the form of a scholarship. I call it "reverse NIL". I don't mean to say NIL is a bad thing. These players deserve what they can get, but for me, I want to do something to help future TU athletes in my small way of giving back by telling a story of the "Golden Years of TU Baseball.

Here are a couple reviews I got back just today..."Got my book, could not put it down. I felt like i was at a ballgame. Everyone was so good looking back then, i forgot what great athletes you were.
😂
😂
The best of the best. Roger Whitaker you did an amazing job on this book. I give it a 10 out of 10. Ballplayers, parents and fans will love this book. Its perfect. I can not thank you enough. "

"I received mine in the mail yesterday, as well, & couldn’t put it down. Roger Adam’s is my uncle & I grew up considering a lot of these men family. My Gma, Alice Adams, taught me to keep score at the baseball & softball games that Roger played in & Mrs. Lowerison & her daughter were great friends to my Gma. Any team I played on in softball, I always picked #14, to be just like my Uncle Roger.
Thank you for taking the time to put all of this together Roger Whitaker. I know how special you all were to my Grandparents & my Mom. I’m pretty sure Bill Adams chewed out some umpires in some games."

Reactions: Chris Harmon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT