ADVERTISEMENT

🏀 Recruiting New commitment: Chicago St. transfer PG Brandon Betson

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Tulsa picked up a commitment from a D-1 transfer on Friday night, a kid I've been in touch with for a couple weeks. I promised him I wouldn't put anything out to the public until he officially announces it himself, but if you're a subscriber, jump over to this thread in Hurricane Alley, where I've posted a story from my conversation with him just after he committed.

Once he makes his official announcement, I'll put the story out as free content and will link it here.

UPDATE: Betson has now made his official announcement, so story is linked below

After all these year of waiting for TU to be good in basketball, I can wait a little longer.

Keep up the good work, Chris.
Thanks, Noble. We'll be starting a podcast soon, so that will be another avenue for you to get your fix of TU info.

Boom!!!! When can his name be added to our 2022 Basketball Commitment List?

As things stand now, he will never be added to our commitment list, because he is a transfer. They don't fit into high school or juco commitments.

As things stand now, he will never be added to our commitment list, because he is a transfer. They don't fit into high school or juco commitments.
Gmoney is correct, but with the rise of the transfer portal, Rivals is working on a solution to include transfers into recruiting classes.

Gmoney is correct, but with the rise of the transfer portal, Rivals is working on a solution to include transfers into recruiting classes.
What's the eta on this? A couple of three days, a couple of three weeks, a couple of three months?

Little late to this but I was looking at his stats and they are not overly impressive to me. 14 points a game, 38 percent from the field and 37 percent from deep. Only averages 14 points a game on an average of 38 min a game. I hope he has some intangibles that are valuable. I am sure coach sees something I don’t.

Averaging 14 pts/game isn’t that good? Am I missing something here?

Well, Horne averaged 16 and Griffin 14, everyone else was way below that, so yeah it’s pretty good. Of course, he will be against better competition so we will see.

Well, Horne averaged 16 and Griffin 14, everyone else was way below that, so yeah it’s pretty good. Of course, he will be against better competition so we will see.
I hear ya but hopefully we could all agree that they only got their points in one half most games. Plenty of times there were chunking goose eggs. I don’t know.

For someone with that many minutes I would expect that number to be higher. Maybe I am not back in basketball mode yet but just seems a bit low
We will see what type of intangibles he has. However, the ppg doesn't worry me. The 2000 team was led by David Shelton's 13.5 ppg.

How many guys we have that are consistent scorers worries me more.

Reactions: loca2874
Chicago State Really good team sir 👏 🙌 🙏 good transfer ... Chicago state wins 🏆 every year haha 😄 💀

For someone with that many minutes I would expect that number to be higher. Maybe I am not back in basketball mode yet but just seems a bit low
Totally depends on type of offense they ran. Point guards don’t have to score many points to be the most important and productive on the team.
will let konkle do his thing and make decisions when I view the product

I don't judge a recruit/transfer by the school they played at previously. TU has had recruits from prominent programs that flopped. Recent transfers out are an example.

How many guys we have that are consistent scorers worries me more.
Yes....Only Griffin and Betson have averaged double digits....
I do think we have some potential in this regard, but much
of it comes from unproven sources, and that is what scares
me the most.....

To be reasonably good by the conference games, we will
need for the four recruits (Knight, McWright, Chuckwu,
and Selebangue), and the transfer (Betson) to have all
developed into the rotation, and will need for the usual
suspects from the carry-overs to continue their
development......

This is the first time in a while when we need this much
first year help from our recruiting class.....It's also the
first time in a while that our recruiting class may be
actually capable of giving it.....

Aside: How many on the board remembers Andy Anderson
standing up before the games (baseball, football, and
basketball) and shouting in a voice that carried forever,
"LET'S GO TULSA!!"??

Last edited:
Yes....Only Griffin and Betson have averaged double digits....
I do think we have some potential in this regard, but much
of it comes from unproven sources, and that is what scares
me the most.....

To be reasonably good by the conference games, we will
need for the four recruits (Knight, McWright, Chuckwu,
and Selebangue), and the transfer (Betson) to have all
developed into the rotation, and will need for the usual
suspects from the carry-overs to continue their development......

This is the first time in a while when we need this much
first year help from our recruiting class.....It's also the
first time in a while that our recruiting class may be
actually capable of doing it.....

Aside: How many on the board remembers Andy Anderson
standing up before the games (baseball, football, and
basketball) and shouting in a voice that carried forever,
"LET'S GO TULSA!!"??
I remember Andy at the old Oilers games. I think he would shout in the bottom of the first inning. He was ahead of "Let's get ready to rumble".

Reactions: TU 1978
Yeah, 14 points on a team that finished 7-25 doesn't really blow your socks off, he presumably wasn't having to share opportunities with A+ teammates. He also had 91 assists and 99 turnovers, so he should at least bring drama to our possessions.... The 0.92 assist to turnover ratio was somewhere below 350th, since the NCAA only shows the top 350 players. Number 350 was at 1.05.

Yeah, 14 points on a team that finished 7-25 doesn't really blow your socks off, he presumably wasn't having to share opportunities with A+ teammates. He also had 91 assists and 99 turnovers, so he should at least bring drama to our possessions.... The 0.92 assist to turnover ratio was somewhere below 350th, since the NCAA only shows the top 350 players. Number 350 was at 1.05.
I hear ya, but you should also recall that he is on a not very good team. If his teammates can't catch a pass, there's not a lot he can do.

The "low" ppg is also hard to judge. I don't know anything about Chicago State or the type of offense they run, and that matters a lot. If he's the only player worth guarding and was constantly double teamed? Yeah, those are pretty good numbers. And also possibly part of his high turnover rate.

Anyways, I'm with t-townpod on this one. We've got a new coach, and at this point I have no reason to second guess him. I'll wait and see how he pans out before complaining about our quality of recruits.

I'm with t-townpod on this one. We've got a new coach, and at this point I have no reason to second guess him. I'll wait and see how he pans out before complaining about our quality of recruits.
I would think this coming class (2023) might be a pretty good measuring stick on this staff's recruiting
skills...We have only one scholarship open, but you would expect us to lose at least one or two to the
portal....We could see as many as 11 of the 14 scholarship athletes being in the player rotation.....

From what I have seen, I would think this staff would make the current players and recruits feel well
coached and well supported, so the losses may not be as great as we have experienced the last few
years.....

I am also with t-townpod.....Let's give them (the staff) some breathing room, and see how it turns out.....

Last edited:
We need at least two upside surprises. Like Rachal was. Or a freshman like Shea was. I usually think I have seen a surprise break out in early practices and that fails to materialize. I thought Earley was one and missed there.

We need at least two upside surprises. Like Rachal was. Or a freshman like Shea was. I usually think I have seen a surprise break out in early practices and that fails to materialize. I thought Earley was one and missed there.
well we will see in less than 90 days

I’m amazed at some of the negativity about Betson, before he’s even played a game for us. I guess it’s a slow summer. What would you be saying to Coach Sampson and the Houston team for bringing in a 6-9 grad transfer center from Charleston Southern, who went 6-25 and 1-15 (last place) in the 12 team Big South Conference last year?

Sadarius Bowser was the team’s 8th leading scorer at 5.1 pts/game and 9th leading rebounder at 3.9 rbs/game. He averaged 18.1 mins/game. In his 4 years he averaged 3.5 pts/game and 3.7 rbs/game in 15.1 mins/game.

As far as being a rim protector, he averaged .7 blks/game as a senior and .4 blks/game over his 4 years.

I guess he’s a heck of a screen setter. Seriously, I imagine Sampson will bring out the best in this guy and he’ll go for 20/10 against us. That’s why he and Konkol are Head Coaches and we are not.

I’m actually excited to see Betson play and like the fact he had 2 game winning last second baskets his last year at Chicago State.

I hear ya, but you should also recall that he is on a not very good team. If his teammates can't catch a pass, there's not a lot he can do.

The "low" ppg is also hard to judge. I don't know anything about Chicago State or the type of offense they run, and that matters a lot. If he's the only player worth guarding and was constantly double teamed? Yeah, those are pretty good numbers. And also possibly part of his high turnover rate.

Anyways, I'm with t-townpod on this one. We've got a new coach, and at this point I have no reason to second guess him. I'll wait and see how he pans out before complaining about our quality of recruits.
Yeah, it's 100% a beauty contest at this point. Skillet hands might have been a problem with his teammates, wouldn't be a surprise on a 7-25 team. Chicago State had 3 guys I think who were pretty close in scoring (10 - 14 ppg or something), so he wasn't being focused on but he might have been sharing more than he will for us. Who knows. The only reason to second guess is because it's a message board and otherwise there's nothing to post about :)

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT