ADVERTISEMENT

New Basketball Commit

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Gavyn Elkamil. A 6-5 Scoring Guard originally from Pittsburg, Kansas. He's apparently taking a Prep Year in Branson this year. He averaged 24.5 pts, 12.5 rbds, 3.5 assists, and 2 stl's in his senior season of 5A Kansas ball. He didn't have a tremendous offer sheet but he did have an offer from SLU and long-running interest from Wichita.

Reactions: Tulsa_
As Chris said in the pay thread...he missed much of the 2019 summer season due to injury which limits a lot of exposure for small town kids like him. He's been picking up steam a lot lately with SLU, us, Mississippi State all offering. One thing to trust is Travis Ford's ability to evaluate and recruit talented kids. That was never his issue at OSU...he just couldn't coach himself out of a paper bag that had EXIT signs everywhere.

As Chris said in the pay thread...he missed much of the 2019 summer season due to injury which limits a lot of exposure for small town kids like him. He's been picking up steam a lot lately with SLU, us, Mississippi State all offering. One thing to trust is Travis Ford's ability to evaluate and recruit talented kids. That was never his issue at OSU...he just couldn't coach himself out of a paper bag that had EXIT signs everywhere.
We'll see if he signs on the dotted line. Early recruits have been problematic for us.

We'll see if he signs on the dotted line. Early recruits have been problematic for us.
In all honesty, it's not that early... when is the first signing day usually? November? That's only a couple months away.

It'd be nice to get a high profile big closer to signing day who can replace Ugboh after Ugboh graduates. (I like the balance of slashers, to shooters, to bigs on the team right now)

In all honesty, it's not that early... when is the first signing day usually? November? That's only a couple months away.

It'd be nice to get a high profile big closer to signing day who can replace Ugboh after Ugboh graduates. (I like the balance of slashers, to shooters, to bigs on the team right now)
Three months, Nov 11.

It's a Wednesday like any other Wednesday. Hopefully we won't surrender this guy to a P5.
You mean that we'll subsequently resent surrendering him and mobilize another "recruiting effort" to bring the Sudetanland..... uh.... I mean.... the Oklahoma area recruits back into their fatherland? /s :rolleyes:

I'm hoping Bryce Thompson pulls a Quentin Grimes and comes back home.

You mean that we'll subsequently resent surrendering him and mobilize another "recruiting effort" to bring the Sudetanland..... uh.... I mean.... the Oklahoma area recruits back into their fatherland? /s :rolleyes:
If we do surrender this guy, does that mean we are nazi's? Godwin strikes again.

It's unusual for us to lose a player who commits at this late date. Not sure I can remember one in basketball we lost after an August commit.

Are you sure... who was it that OU recruited away from us recently ?

That was Phipps I think but he committed way , way early, not two months before signing day.

That was Phipps I think but he committed way , way early, not two months before signing day.
The ones I can think of that we had committed and then lost (besides the kid who signed and we released this year) were McDowell who committed a year early and went to SMU (transferred to Seattle), Phipps who committed a year early and eventually went to OU, and Bryce Cook who eventually committed to SMU

Last edited:
Are you sure... who was it that OU recruited away from us recently ?
I think there might've been a bit of tampering there, but technically, Phipps decommitted from Tulsa and then received an offer from Oklahoma two days later. There is an unwritten rule among college basketball coaches that you do not offer a kid that is committed elsewhere...you really aren't supposed to recruit them at all. But some will have a third-party contact a third-party that will then tell the kid, if you decommit, you are guaranteed an offer from school X.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
The ones I can think of that we had committed and then lost (besides the kid who signed and we released this year) were McDowell who committed a year early and went to SMU (transferred to Seattle), Phipps who committed a year early and eventually went to OU, and Bryce Cook who eventually committed to SMU
All three decommitted from Tulsa beforehand and later committed elsewhere. It wasn't a "flip" to another school. McDowell was released from his commitment by TU and the scholarship offer was rescinded.

All three decommitted from Tulsa beforehand and later committed elsewhere. It wasn't a "flip" to another school. McDowell was released from his commitment by TU and the scholarship offer was rescinded.
True on all points. I was just noting kids that committed and ended up elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Harmon
Phipps was the BS one. We know Pooh probably contact his dad and then laid out the scenario.

Can we rehash old recruiting wounds on a different thread? Welcome to the Golden Hurricane family Gavyn! Pumped to have you on board!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Good idea. Pay board is a better place for old wound reconstruction.

Have really been impressed with the quality of players we have signed recently. This staff has turned it up a notch.

Reactions: quincy101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT