ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska’s Matt Ruhle hires legendary Texas High School Football Coach

Oak775

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
May 31, 2020

They asked John Dillinger why he robbed banks.

”That‘s where the money is.”

Texas is where the players are!

They asked John Dillinger why he robbed banks.

”That‘s where the money is.”

Texas is where the players are!
nobody cares bfd GIF

Matt Ruhle sucks. And I’m not clicking on that Russian troll farm link to find out who the legend is.
It’s Bob Wager. And he’s not a legend, just a really good high school coach. Calling him the Bill Blankenship of Arlington would be a stretch. He does have tremendous giddyup with the ol’ boys Texas coaches culture. He’s been involved with the coaches association for awhile.

Reactions: TU 1978 and Oak775
It’s Bob Wager. And he’s not a legend, just a really good high school coach. Calling him the Bill Blankenship of Arlington would be a stretch. He does have tremendous giddyup with the ol’ boys Texas coaches culture. He’s been involved with the coaches association for awhile.
Huff,

You understand that when Wager calls for a visit in Texas it gets people’s attention. There’s a few folks that will immediately hang up the phone on him.

”One of the Dallas area’s longest tenured and most respected high school football coaches is headed to the college ranks.

Arlington Martin head coach Bob Wager has accepted a position as an assistant coach on Matt Rhule’s staff at Nebraska, Wager told The Dallas Morning News on Friday. Wager will coach tight ends and special teams. Rhule, Baylor’s head coach from 2017-19, was hired at Nebraska in November.”

Huff,

You understand that when Wager calls for a visit in Texas it gets people’s attention. There’s a few folks that will immediately hang up the phone on him.

”One of the Dallas area’s longest tenured and most respected high school football coaches is headed to the college ranks.

Arlington Martin head coach Bob Wager has accepted a position as an assistant coach on Matt Rhule’s staff at Nebraska, Wager told The Dallas Morning News on Friday. Wager will coach tight ends and special teams. Rhule, Baylor’s head coach from 2017-19, was hired at Nebraska in November.”
Absolutely I agree with you. But he’s not the Bear Bryant of Texas High School Football. He’s not a “legend”. Or Joey Maguire. Or Gary Joseph. Or Hank Carter. Or even Chad Morris. I’d bet in Vegas he ranks in the lowest part of the Top 40 coaches in Texas by district title. Maybe lower. Guys like to fish with him and he plays the coaches politics game very well. That’s it.

Reactions: rusty-c and Oak775
Huff,

Quiet, and let’s hope Matt Ruhle isn’t trolling Inside Tulsa Sports this morning . Let Wager get the contract signed and put down an escrow on a big house in Lincoln.

In very plane speak, Wager, “big hat no cattle”.

When a person over promises and doesn’t deliver there’s going to be problems.

It’s a long way for the moving van going back from Lincoln to Arlington.

Last edited:
I’m curious…..NOT counting TCU, where do you think Texas ranks in terms of number of kids on the rosters of the other teams in the CFP?

Very dated on my Google search…..Texas has the most…..Florida highest quality…..

“Florida has more elite prospects, but when it comes to producing top talent in college football, nobody does it bigger than Texas.

That's why it was unfathomable that Charlie Strong and Kevin Sumlin struggled so much at Texas and Texas A&M, respectively, and why big-money boosters there won't tolerate losing to continue. There is too much talent in-state to not produce quality football programs.”

Last edited:
You only had to watch TCU last night versus Michigan.

Running in to the season Max Dugban had been demoted to the #2 QB. Former TU DC Joe Gillespie’s gave up a hell of a lot points.

The TCU team is a solid team. Most of TCU’s players are homegrown Texas kids. The proof is right there on TV last night.

This debate is evergreen. Don’t forget to include Georgia’s dubious claim that they produce more FBS offers per capita than any other state or whatever it is they claim, I forget.

As for Texas, there’s no better proof that college coaching takes a certain amount of alchemy. No state has more money and more recruits than Texas but it still takes the secret sauce to make a school like the University of Texas successful. Something they have been able to achieve just once since the end of segregation. And only then because they had a unique generational talent that went to the school for reasons having nothing to do with the program or its facilities or historical record.

The key for Tulsa to winning at a sustained level isn’t just better local recruiting. Or better facilities. Or a cutting edge young coach. Or NIL. Or the portal. Or Administration accountability to the public and the trustees. Or even rogue boosters doing things you can’t discuss to solve problems before they happen.

Texas has all the very best of those things and still loses. For some, that’s the very definition of a loser.

Let’s hope our new team of well favored “sons” - Carson, Dickson, and Wilson - have the right potion or prescription for all that ails TU in this new era of uncertainty in college football.

You only had to watch TCU last night versus Michigan.

Running in to the season Max Dugban had been demoted to the #2 QB. Former TU DC Joe Gillespie’s gave up a hell of a lot points.

The TCU team is a solid team. Most of TCU’s players are homegrown Texas kids. The proof is right there on TV last night.
Not buying that is was the Texas kids were better than the non-Texas kids. Michigan's defense simply was atrocious last night compounded by way too many unforced mistakes (Michigan's last offensive play for example; fumbling on the 1, etc.). Don't get me wrong, TCU showed me more on offense than I expected from them. And their D didn't play great either, but they did make a few big plays in key moments, more than Michigan made and that was the difference. But let's be honest, none of the defenses in the semis played well yesterday at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT