ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA President Mark Emmert said the time is right to consider a decentralized and deregulated version of college sports

Just one step closer hopefully to admitting that sports programs at major institutions are merely licensed revenue generating professional franchises that shelter their revenue, assets, and salaries undrr the umbrella of a NFP "educational institution"..

The sooner that is recognized and all of these programs are forced to pay their fair tax burden, the faster we will see parity return to the arena.

100000 seat stadiums, multi million dollar training facilities, and office complexes worthy of fortune 100 companies are not essential to the NFP educational mission of a university.

Reactions: TULOYAL and TU Sepp
Just one step closer hopefully to admitting that sports programs at major institutions are merely licensed revenue generating professional franchises that shelter their revenue, assets, and salaries undrr the umbrella of a NFP "educational institution"..

The sooner that is recognized and all of these programs are forced to pay their fair tax burden, the faster we will see parity return to the arena.

100000 seat stadiums, multi million dollar training facilities, and office complexes worthy of fortune 100 companies are not essential to the NFP educational mission of a university.
Neither are their million dollar and some times billion dollar research and medical apparatus. But they sure enjoy those profits from Gatorade and countless other products.

Neither are their million dollar and some times billion dollar research and medical apparatus. But they sure enjoy those profits from Gatorade and countless other products.
Agreed... but that seems like more of a crossfire topic... especially the ones funded by taxpayer money where the directors drive Bentleys and live like Kardashians.. (its interesting who you meet in cigar bars over a little L13)

Reactions: HuffyCane
Agreed... but that seems like more of a crossfire topic... especially the ones funded by taxpayer money where the directors drive Bentleys and live like Kardashians.. (its interesting who you meet in cigar bars over a little L13)
I think you are shortly going to see a lot of chatter about the pay and privileges of PhD students, many of whom are paid quite a bit more than what 100 of the FBS schools could afford to pay their players. And some grad students who make quite a bit less than what any football player would consider an incentive or even adequate for their effort in exchange for opportunity. This will especially be true in the Union states, so Penn State and Rutgers where the other student employees can be or have been unionized are watching these arguments like a hawk. An NFLPA style collective bargaining agreement would be good for the players but could really hurt some schools, possibly correct the market slightly, and might even result in some schools being unable to attract STEM talent to their facilities. There’s a lot of unintended and unconsidered consequences starting to surface. It’s one of the reasons Stead was so big on paying the players. He wanted to get in front of it before free agency and collective bargaining forced costs out of control. Which is what we are starting to see. And that serves interests inside college football that are adverse to ours.

And that serves interests inside college football that are adverse to ours.
Unfortunately I think the era of the small private school may be passing just like the small businesses destroyed by the covid shut downs...

We are in an era dominated by the wal marts of education and athletics...

Unfortunately I think the era of the small private school may be passing just like the small businesses destroyed by the covid shut downs...

We are in an era dominated by the wal marts of education and athletics...
So quantity over quality. The customers won’t be pleased.

The real issue will be when the benefits to the players become taxable, and they will. Once you have collective bargaining you have employees, not students. Taxable benefits will get students in trouble.

Reactions: TU 1978
The real issue will be when the benefits to the players become taxable, and they will. Once you have collective bargaining you have employees, not students. Taxable benefits will get students in trouble.
And the schools. Which is why I’m convinced you’ll see a drive to make them to treat them like the other “students” working on campus. The fact that it will serve to keep down labor costs, well that’s just a co-inky-dink.

Bryce Young supposedly is near seven figures in endorsements and has never started a game for Alabama. This is already out of hand. Amateurism is out.

These are utter professionals who take some classes.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So how does this work? I sign a NLI contract with a given athlete and then I hand them cash? And I don’t have to have them do anything in particular?

Reactions: TulsaRulzOSUdrools
And the schools. Which is why I’m convinced you’ll see a drive to make them to treat them like the other “students” working on campus. The fact that it will serve to keep down labor costs, well that’s just a co-inky-dink.
The other students working on campus get taxed.

The other students working on campus get taxed.
Yep and that’s a big part of what this is about especially in states with their own income tax. States want their money. Kids want to get paid. Schools don’t want to pay for tax compliance offices with 400 different compensation schemes that the school might have some liability in facilitating. It’s a tangle.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT