ADVERTISEMENT

My Father

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
Today we lay to rest the man who raised me to love Tulsa Football. Some of my best memories of the Golden Hurricane happened in our front yard listening to games on the radio and tossing the football back and forth with my old man.

Every chance we got to attend a game he would make sure we did.

He was raised in Tulsa and hated the colors red and orange (well unless it was hunting season)

Im going to miss you Dad. But i know you'll still be with me sitting at the top row of section 120 calling a hold on every play.

Sorry for your loss, your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

I know myself and others know what you’re going through. Time will help things, as will cheering louder than you ever have before at the first game.

Today we lay to rest the man who raised me to love Tulsa Football. Some of my best memories of the Golden Hurricane happened in our front yard listening to games on the radio and tossing the football back and forth with my old man.

He was raised in Tulsa and hated the colors red and orange (well unless it was hunting season)

Im going to miss you Dad. But i know you'll still be with me sitting at the top row of section 120 calling a hold on every play.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family also. I lost my dad 9 years ago. He reminds me of the saying, “the older I got, the smarter my dad got”.

Your dad was a smart man, there is a hold on every play.

I’m sorry for your loss, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Amen! Jester, I'm sorry for your loss of your father....Blessings on you and your
family....

His "holding calls" remind me of my friend, who years ago, was listening, with his
father-in-law, to Len Morton broadcasting a road TU basketball game on the radio....
On the occasion of the opponents blocking a TU shot attempt near the basket, Len
said "wow!" "That looked like goal tending!" when there was no call, the father-in-law,
usually a quiet men, jumped up and said "Hell, anyone could see that was goal
tending!"

You and your family were blessed to have your father so far into your adulthood...I lost
mine early and always felt the void....

When I was in Tulsa more often, I can remember you and I bumping into each other at
tailgates, including your own....That was during the Graham era.....Father time, while
having been very kind to me, has really limited my road trips up to "Green Country"........

Last edited:
Amen! Jester, I'm sorry for your loss of your father....Blessings on you and your
family....

His "holding calls" remind me of my friend, who years ago, was listening, with his
father-in-law, to Len Morton broadcasting a road TU basketball game on the radio....
On the occasion of the opponents blocking a TU shot attempt near the basket, Len
said "wow!" "That looked like goal tending!" when there was no call, the father-in-law,
usually a quiet men, jumped up and said "Hell, anyone could see that was goal
tending!"

You and your family were blessed to have your father so far into your adulthood...I lost
mine early and always felt the void....

When I was in Tulsa more often, I can remember you and I bumping into each other at
tailgates, including your own....That was during the Graham era.....Father time, while
having been very kind to me, has really limited my road trips up to "Green Country"........

Like the rest of us you'll think of your father all the time and of all the wonderful moments and of course how much you loved each other .

Jester - may you and your family find peace and comfort from the prayers being offered in your time of mourning.

Reactions: jesterondirt
There's no experience quite like attending a live sporting event with your dad. It's an experience that becomes more important and valuable as time passes.
This is so right. Dad and I were driving cross country and passing through Saint Louis back in the day. I asked to stop and spend the night and go to the Cardinals game. My father wanted to keep on pushing and get back to Tulsa, but he knew I liked a particular obscure infielder and regularly checked the box score each morning in Tulsa World to keep tabs on how he was doing. So he reluctantly said OK. It was clear at the time he didnt want to stop but it took me about twenty years to understand that my request wasnt something you turn down as a father. One of his justifications for not stopping was that my favorite player at the time played second base and didnt always play. To both our relief, he played that night. And he hit a grand slam in the 8th inning to win the game. The ball landed just in front of us and I went down a few rows and tried unsuccessfully to scramble for it. I'll never forget his look of contentment when I looked up as I climbed the stairs back to my seat and he saw my excitement and obvious thanks. Its the image I will remember when we close the door on him.

Last edited:
Game 7 of 1992 NLCS. Braves are going to lose to Pirates. I’m really sad and sign off and go to bed. My dad says not to give up now.

About 30 minutes later I’m brushing my teeth and my dad says to come down to watch the game. I tell him he’s full of it. But I go down anyway. And Sid Bream scores and the Braves go to the World Series. There’s a lot of life lessons in that.

Also, all the four letter words I learned when TU beat A&M. I still remember my dad jumping up and down and given the Aggie fans all the hell they deserve.

Man. All these stories are Bringing up so many memories of watching sports with my dad.

I remember as a kid how out of his mind he was after the Tu win over A and M. But basketball was his real baby. He said he never cheered harder at a sporting event than when TU beat OU at the convention center when billy tubbs was coach. He said he couldn’t even talk after and he said that billy tubbs tore a sink off the wall on the locker room.

My condolences, Jester. Some wonderful memories that many of us share of time with our fathers at sporting events - many TU related. My dad took me to TU football, basketball and baseball (1969 was a great year!) so my continued interest is rooted from long ago.

Our thoughts are with you Jester and I’m sorry for your loss. Your father was a good fan.

My dad was a diehard Tulsa football fan also. He passed away unexpectedly shortly after the conclusion of the 94 season. In his later years, he liked to listen to the games on the radio while he was at the game. That old transistor radio probably drove a lot of fans around us nuts, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

I still bring his favorite stadium chair to every home game to honor his memory.

My condolences as well. Very sorry to hear this.

My dad is turning 90 in January and this is the first year he is questioning his energy level to make it up the ramp to our seats. He is trying to train for it by extra walking with his cane because it is so important to him. Not just the game but the family time.

Tough to think about these things.

My condolences to you and your family.

Reactions: jesterondirt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT