ADVERTISEMENT

Murray State over Tulsa by 5

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Prediction for next round. The game will be in the 80's or 90's. 25 game winning streak, undefeated in conference, and lost on a buzzer beater in finals. Beat UTEP like a drum. Murray State is 20 points better than William and Mary. We looked at their coach last year.

Can Tulsa survive ??? Well not with defense like tonight. William and Mary missed wide open three after wide open three until they were down 21 and then started making some..still unguarded. What happened to that nail-down defense....I think there is no enthusiasm.

I will finally say something positive about Curtis. With the NCAA season gone, he played the best of his career. I think this is the brightest thing about tonight. He is showing some confidence and made threes under pressure. Good for him.

One more positive...Juice had a double/double and attacked the rim. I liked that.

Missing one and ones at the end will also end the season abruptly, but I doubt we will even be close enough to worry about those against Murray State.

Am I wrong? Hope so...but saw nothing tonight to expect anything more than one more game .
This post was edited on 3/17 11:56 PM by I.I.

Originally posted by I.I.:

Prediction for next round. The game will be in the 80's or 90's. 25 game winning streak, undefeated in conference, and lost on a buzzer beater in finals. Beat UTEP like a drum. Murray State is 20 points better than William and Mary. We looked at their coach last year.

Can Tulsa survive ??? Well not with defense like tonight. William and Mary missed wide open three after wide open three until they were down 21 and then started making some..still unguarded. What happened to that nail-down defense....I think there is no enthusiasm.

I will finally say something positive about Curtis. With the NCAA season gone, he played the best of his career. I think this is the brightest thing about tonight. He is showing some confidence and made threes under pressure. Good for him.

One more positive...Juice had a double/double and attacked the rim. I liked that.

Missing one and ones at the end will also end the season abruptly, but I doubt we will even be close enough to worry about those against Murray State.

Am I wrong? Hope so...but saw nothing tonight to expect anything more than one more game .
This post was edited on 3/17 11:56 PM by I.I.
Like your post in Alley better. Don't see anyone scoring that much against TU.

I.I. is absolutely correct ! Two ball reversals on offense and you get a wide open shot on TU, plus Murray State has an inside game unlike W & M. Tulsa better buckle on their chin straps for the full 40 minutes or its Vaya Con Dios !!

That's pretty crazy.
Their win streak were against one RPI 62, eight 100-200, nine 200-300, and six against 300+ teams.

Their best win is 62 (Illinois St), good losses vs 30 (Xavier) and 50 (Valpo), worst losses are 105 (Belmont), 149 (Portland), and 239 (Houston).

I'm pretty certain we would be 25-5 or better against an SOS of 234.

But, they won the games they were scheduled and had a great season.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:55 AM by Weatherdemon

Murray State seems to be getting a lot of love on this board...

I guess we'll find out soon, but I think the result of the game will be completely tied to TU's performance.

If TU plays defense consistent with their usual ability, the Golden Hurricane will move onto the next round.

I watched Murray State against Belmont. They definitely push the ball and jack up shots...very fun to watch. Concurrently, their opponent gets open shots as well.

Houston beat Murray State.
Valpo beat Murray State by 5,935 points.
In their non-conf losses (other than Houston), they averaged about 60 points.

Granted, their losses were early...but, the level of competition in the OVC is highly questionable.

TU fans definitely live in a glass house regarding non-conference performance. But, just like our performances against SMU, Cincy, WSU, OU, and OSU, trends can't be ignored...

When Murray has played decent teams, they haven't performed as well.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:29 AM by hotterthanyourhusbandTU

I watched both the semifinals and finals of the OVC tournament games with Murray St. Morehead St. had them beat in the semis and absolutely went to sleep in the last 3 minutes (sort of like us against UCONN). I believe that game went to OT. Murray St. has some nice pieces but they rely on outside shooting alot and I believe Swanny can shut down the big inside. Swanny will be the best post defender they have played against in quite some time. The game against Belmont came down to who was the smarter team and made better adjustments. Belmont was in control of the game for most of it, Murray State made a spirited comeback and Belmont still won at the end.

They're good for an OVC team....but they're still an OVC team. We need to show up and play but we are the better team with better athletes and simply showing up and playing to our capabilities should be enough to push us over the top. I still don't feel like we have actually played a full 40 minutes this year at the top of our game.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
They're good for an OVC team....but they're still an OVC team.
I hate this sentiment so much. Cameron Payne is as good as any PG we've faced all year. Their big guy just abused UTEP's 6-10, 6-11, 7-1 front line. They're not just good for an OVC team, they're good for a basketball team.

Originally posted by ctt8410:

I hate this sentiment so much. Cameron Payne is as good as any PG we've faced all year. Their big guy just abused UTEP's 6-10, 6-11, 7-1 front line. They're not just good for an OVC team, they're good for a basketball team.
+1 Kinda like "Tulsa's good for a WAC team" back in the day

KenPom has us over them by 3. Basically on a neutral court it'd be a tossup.
When TU has the ball: TU's offense is ranked 209, Murray State's defense is ranked 187
When Murray State has the ball: Murray State's offense is ranked 16, Tulsa's defense is ranked 15
Teams have about the same amount of average years of experience.
Two teams are just so close, which gives me this sinking feeling that it'll come down to free throws we'll miss.

...and we routed UConn at home. Feel good about this game. If this game were at Murray State wouldn't feel so good.

I agree II's analysis. Expert as always. However, I think TU really gets it all together for this game. Somehow, we manage to win. And no melt down at the end. It may take our best game...but we get it.

This will be a big win for TU.

Onward to the finals.

It is hard to know how good they are considering their schedule.

I hope we have some fire on Monday and if so we should be ok considering it is a home game. That is unless they are really an SMU calibre team or better.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Considering our first round game against William & Mary, TU will have to convince the odds makers.

My point was more that Murray St. wasn't overly impressive in the 2 games I saw vs. Belmont and Morehead St. They've got a couple of decent players but in the AAC they probably finish about where Tulane finished.

I really like us having so many days at home to practice for this one. That is worth several points in getting distance from the AAC tournament.

Not practicing may be our best remedy. Tuesday's game was preceded by a tough loss to UCONN three days before. Kids need a day or better yet, two off, get their legs back, enjoy some NCAA tourney games on the tube, and play with big time energy on Monday.

Originally posted by ctt8410:

Thanks ctt8410..... I could not convince anybody else to believe us. They were placed in the wrong tournament. Payne will go late first round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT