ADVERTISEMENT

Monty Torpedoed the FB program

TulsaGrad07

I.T.S. Junior
Sep 26, 2015
That is all... There are no words that will serve as adequate catharsis to purge my rage for this redneck hall monitor shmuckbag

ho hum. another week. another failure. love it that we don't have a couple mil. laying around to fire the guy. man it's hard to be a fan right now with nothing to cheer about.

ho hum. another week. another failure. love it that we don't have a couple mil. laying around to fire the guy. man it's hard to be a fan right now with nothing to cheer about.
I think in the end, Universities lose more money by not firing a struggling coach because you end up losing the fan base and fundraising momentum to keep up with other programs.

Last edited:
It would mean Gragg actually doing something constructive. No going to happen because the athletic admin have no work ethic or pride.

That is all... There are no words that will serve as adequate catharsis to purge my rage for this redneck hall monitor shmuckbag
Well you’re sure wrong about that. Stead ran this university into the ground while a bunch of people stood by. Now everyone is trying to pick up the pieces.

Also, just realized something shocking. Of all of Blankenship’s recruits, Willie Wright & Keyarris Garrett might be the only ones to make it to the league* (*practice squads). Not a single Blankenship signee was drafted. Montgomery will have at least one year and very likely two if Reggie Robinson continues his upward trend in the senior bowl.

Just a random thought that I hadn’t ever processed until now.

Reactions: Tu Geo
Well you’re sure wrong about that. Stead ran this university into the ground while a bunch of people stood by. Now everyone is trying to pick up the pieces.

Also, just realized something shocking. Of all of Blankenship’s recruits, Willie Wright & Keyarris Garrett might be the only ones to make it to the league* (*practice squads). Not a single Blankenship signee was drafted. Montgomery will have at least one year and very likely two if Reggie Robinson continues his upward trend in the senior bowl.

Just a random thought that I hadn’t ever processed until now.

I don't know enough about the internal workings of the university to know what Stead did to the detriment of the university. I thought his reputation was seen as favorable rather than damaging, but you might one of the guys on here who knows more about the inside track than I do, so I'll take your word for it. I judge Monty based on the win / loss record, reputation of the program and butts in seats. I'm sick of it and I want change. That in and of itself isn't worth the time you'll take to read this, it's just a personal predilection: I don't like seeing my alma mater disgraced in a public setting.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I don't know enough about the internal workings of the university to know what Stead did to the detriment of the university. I thought his reputation was seen as favorable rather than damaging, but you might one of the guys on here who knows more about the inside track than I do, so I'll take your word for it. I judge Monty based on the win / loss record, reputation of the program and butts in seats. I'm sick of it and I want change. That in and of itself isn't worth the time you'll take to read this, it's just a personal predilection: I don't like seeing my alma mater disgraced in a public setting.
I would disagree that Stead ran it into the ground. He pushed for rapid expansion of a lot of things and some beyond the means of the university and before the university had the $$$ on hand (that is one thing ORU has done since Rutland was there...no projects until project is 95% funded with money on hand). Sounds like TU went ahead with pledged money versus received money and that has gotten them into the red with a couple of projects.

Reactions: Tulsa76
The UH crowd said everything that needed to be said. Folks lost interest.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Yes. And the weather wasn't bad. It was cool, but it wasn't windy. Pretty nice weather actually for a late November night game.

The most dedicated fans booed the man and left. The stands were already pretty empty.

Not sure there is a clearer message that could be sent.

Reactions: TU_BLA
My sources are not in the administration, but one has some good insight and text me during a HS playoff game in 2014 that BB was getting das boot... sure enough, a few hours later. He is hearing Monty stays based on perceived improvement over the last two seasons. Also, I don't donate enough money these days to have much right to have a say on how I feel about this -- but, nobody wanted to help pony-up the cash for a buyout. That said, if the charade continues next season with a much weaker schedule... Expect him to actually feel some heat.

Reactions: Hurricane Drummer
Just a thought...I wonder what this year's team would have done against the schedules Graham faced while here. Probably would have seen a better record at least.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Just a thought...I wonder what this year's team would have done against the schedules Graham faced while here. Probably would have seen a better record at least.
We certainly wouldn't have beaten Notre Dame, nor would we have been able to put up 40+ a game with this staff's philosophy.

Possible, but we were rolling offensively at that time, and it @ Notre Dame
Meh. They had just been trounced by Navy's offense the week before. Also, they basically handed us the game by not kicking a field goal at the end.

I think our defense really won that game. Reese threw 3 INT's.

Reactions: 4tu2
Possible, but we were rolling offensively at that time, and it @ Notre Dame
I don't know what offensive yardage we had against ND, but we didn't roll scoring wise. I believe the breakdown is the following:

1 Offensive TD (missed extra point) - 6 points
2 FG's - 6 points
1 Pick-6 (plus extra point) - 7
1 Punt return for TD (plus extra point) - 7
Extra Point blocked & Returned for TD - 2

Total 28 points.

57% of our scoring came from special teams and defense against ND. It was the most helter-skelter game I've ever seen scoring-wise.

Reactions: 4tu2
ND won their last 3 games and then beat Miami in the Sun Bowl. It's not like they were absolutely terrible.

Reactions: Tu Geo
I don't necessarily agree. That Notre Dame team wasn't very good.
That ND team beat USC later that season and won a good bowl game. Didn't lose another game after losing to Tulsa.

That was a good ND team maybe not great.

GO TU!!!!

I don't know what offensive yardage we had against ND, but we didn't roll scoring wise. I believe the breakdown is the following:

1 Offensive TD (missed extra point) - 6 points
2 FG's - 6 points
1 Pick-6 (plus extra point) - 7
1 Punt return for TD (plus extra point) - 7
Extra Point blocked & Returned for TD - 2

Total 28 points.

57% of our scoring came from special teams and defense against ND. It was the most helter-skelter game I've ever seen scoring-wise.

The point I was making was, that we were rolling on offense with regularity. The ND game production was the anomaly for our offenses those days.

That ND team beat USC later that season and won a good bowl game. Didn't lose another game after losing to Tulsa.

That was a good ND team maybe not great.

GO TU!!!!
By the standards of Notre Dame it is subpar... certainly not on the same level as what Brian Kelly has been used to in the years following that outing. I'm a closet ND fan and while I loved Tulsa getting the win.... I honestly didn't think that ND team was anything special. It was Brian Kelly's first season scraping the poo off the field that Chalrie Weiss had left there. Reese was really a piss poor QB in terms of success. (Compared to Quinn, Golson, Kizer, and Book)

Last edited:
By the standards of Notre Dame it is subpar... certainly not on the same level as what Brian Kelly has been used to in the years following that outing. I'm a closet ND fan and while I loved Tulsa getting the win.... I honestly didn't think that ND team was anything special. It was Brian Kelly's first season scraping the poo off the field that Chalrie Weiss had left there. Reese was really a piss poor QB in terms of success. (Compared to Quinn, Golson, Kizer, and Book)

That will be the only matchup between Tulsa and Notre Dame in my lifetime and I'm glad it was a win. Tulsa beat a highly prestigious football program on their own turf and won that game. I've spent more time watching that replay on youtube in the past 10 years than I have watching any games under Monty's watch. I do like to watch BB win against UCF twice at home back in 13 and seeing Tulsa beat Iowa State at the liberty bowl. Beyond those two games, what has this football program done that's worthy of acclaim since Monty showed up? I liked Blank because he was a homer and played QB for TU back in the 70s and his kids were the same age as me and all stand-up human beings. He wasn't SUPER imaginative, however, I do remember him actually play calling for halfback passes against colorado state at home back in 2013/4? and it resulting in a touchdown. Monty's idea of a trick play is a run up the middle for no gain.

Reactions: jerandlaur
The point I was making was, that we were rolling on offense with regularity. The ND game production was the anomaly for our offenses those days.
That's true. The thing is we're playing teams like that Notre Dame team, or better for most of our schedule now verses a few teams of that caliber on the schedule back then. Wins are just harder to come by.

That will be the only matchup between Tulsa and Notre Dame in my lifetime and I'm glad it was a win. Tulsa beat a highly prestigious football program on their own turf and won that game. I've spent more time watching that replay on youtube in the past 10 years than I have watching any games under Monty's watch. I do like to watch BB win against UCF twice at home back in 13 and seeing Tulsa beat Iowa State at the liberty bowl. Beyond those two games, what has this football program done that's worthy of acclaim since Monty showed up? I liked Blank because he was a homer and played QB for TU back in the 70s and his kids were the same age as me and all stand-up human beings. He wasn't SUPER imaginative, however, I do remember him actually play calling for halfback passes against colorado state at home back in 2013/4? and it resulting in a touchdown. Monty's idea of a trick play is a run up the middle for no gain.
Even though it was a loss, I do like the replay of our game against OU in 2015. Garrett eating touted CB Zach Sanchez alive, plus the onside kick and bomb of a TD throw right before halftime. It was nice.

Even though it was a loss, I do like the replay of our game against OU in 2015. Garrett eating touted CB Zach Sanchez alive, plus the onside kick and bomb of a TD throw right before halftime. It was nice.
Hard not to like the comeback with Dane (And Monty) @ Fresno State. The read option QB pull by Dane to end the game was beautiful. Also, the dominating win at Memphis that year was really nice too.

The 2012 team is fun to watch during the entire season simply because of how dominant the defense was. Multiple guys were putting up historical pass rushing seasons for us.

Hard not to like the comeback with Dane (And Monty) @ Fresno State. The read option QB pull by Dane to end the game was beautiful. Also, the dominating win at Memphis that year was really nice too.
The offense was incredible against OU & VT the first year. The two pick-6s vs. Tulane to get to a bowl were also awesome. The first ever game against FAU had the Keevan Lucas jumping catch that slid him into the goalpost. Still one of my favorite highlights of this era. And then we won in overtime. We were undefeated in overtime games the first two years and then I don’t think we played another until SMU this season.

Fresno was a comeback for the ages. Then to come back the next week against SMU and walk it off in overtime with the same exact play call was insane. Getting the sixth win against Memphis in such dominating fashion was incredible. Flanders rushed for 250 yards and five touchdowns in that game. Raymond Taylor even had 100 yards rushing. Beating UCF is always sweet. The Cincinnati double doink that went in. And a dominating bowl victory.

Not a lot in 2017. Toledo was almost great. Chad President and the offense had a great first half. Craig Suits had his second career INT TD. We curb stomped Houston for Homecoming.

2018 was the beginning of the new defense and its remarkable how big of a turnaround it was. Watching Whitfield in one on one pass coverage was remarkable. The Texas game was so much fun and so frustrating. The wide receivers didn’t look good in that game so it’s remarkable to see how far they’ve come in the last year and how much better they are now. We were going to beat Houston until Corey Taylor broke his foot. And with Shamari already out, that left Javon Thomas to pass protect (which he was not good at at all). UConn was miserable but a blast. Just running up and down the field on a clearly inferior team can really be a blast (as seen this last week). And to keep SMU out of a bowl was sweet. That team quit and ours didn’t and that was the difference.

The offense was incredible against OU & VT the first year. The two pick-6s vs. Tulane to get to a bowl were also awesome. The first ever game against FAU had the Keevan Lucas jumping catch that slid him into the goalpost. Still one of my favorite highlights of this era. And then we won in overtime. We were undefeated in overtime games the first two years and then I don’t think we played another until SMU this season.

Fresno was a comeback for the ages. Then to come back the next week against SMU and walk it off in overtime with the same exact play call was insane. Getting the sixth win against Memphis in such dominating fashion was incredible. Flanders rushed for 250 yards and five touchdowns in that game. Raymond Taylor even had 100 yards rushing. Beating UCF is always sweet. The Cincinnati double doink that went in. And a dominating bowl victory.

Not a lot in 2017. Toledo was almost great. Chad President and the offense had a great first half. Craig Suits had his second career INT TD. We curb stomped Houston for Homecoming.

2018 was the beginning of the new defense and its remarkable how big of a turnaround it was. Watching Whitfield in one on one pass coverage was remarkable. The Texas game was so much fun and so frustrating. The wide receivers didn’t look good in that game so it’s remarkable to see how far they’ve come in the last year and how much better they are now. We were going to beat Houston until Corey Taylor broke his foot. And with Shamari already out, that left Javon Thomas to pass protect (which he was not good at at all). UConn was miserable but a blast. Just running up and down the field on a clearly inferior team can really be a blast (as seen this last week). And to keep SMU out of a bowl was sweet. That team quit and ours didn’t and that was the difference.
Yeah, there have been good moments...but no sustained momentum for the program. Kragthorpe created sustained momentum for the program. Graham took it a step further. Monty's teams have had moments. Fleeting, isolated moments. And this team was his best of the 5 years he's been here and it was somewhat undone by the lack of a dedicated OC and lack of a special teams coordinator/kicking coach.

The Houston game last year was lost when Monty went into a play calling shell in the 3rd quarter to run the clock out. Same with the 4th quarter this year vs SMU. There have been a ton of incidents like that the last 2-3 seasons...USF last year was another one. We've pull defeat from the jaws of victory so many times and it's not because we don't have good enough players, it's because we don't have a coach who can manage a game properly.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU Pilot
Concerning the Graham/Kragthorpe/Blankenship years, our schedule was far from easy. ECU, UCF, and Houston had good teams through out that time. We played OU and OSU some, had what four top 25 teams ooc for Blankenships first year? ND and Arkansas under Graham. Had a scheduled series with Army and Texas Tech with Leach during that time period too.

It's the coach, just like it was with Burns. Just like it was with Dobbs, Graham, and Kragthorpe. Tulsa's football success or failure has largely rode on the shoulders of its coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT