ADVERTISEMENT

Monty out per ON3

HOOOOORAYYYYY!!!!!
Adios Monty. Don't feel too bad, you were paid 10 figures during your stint at my alma mater, which you ran into the ground... Anyone who needs convincing need only go to youtube and search for Tulsa / BYU in 2007 and see how big the crowds used to be at TU. Even Blankenship had nice crowds in 2013 when we won C-USA and had a good crowd head to Memphis to beat Iowa State. Other than getting two players into the first round of the NFL draft, I don't think he did much good for the university.

If they are on top of it, and offering GJ...

I wouldn't expect it to be very long before it is announced that we are in negotiations with him, at a minimum. Could be almost as quick as Bill Self coaching search.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU 1978
It’s my understanding the university is preparing a statement.

We want to thank Coach Montgomery for all he's done for the University and the football program.
As we prepare to take the football program to the next level, we think it's in the best interest of the football program to make this change.
We wish Coach Montgomery the best of luck in the future.

Probably close enough, lol.

It is indeed real, I am hoping players are retained to a respectable degree.
Any that leave will be replaced in the transfer portal. Plenty of disgruntled SEC players that want immediate playing time. Tulsa's gonna be fine once we have a decent coach who realizes that special teams sucks after 5 years in a row...

Thank you Phillip Montgomery for your 8 seasons of coaching Tulsa football. You were honest and gave your best effort.

Thank you Rick Dickson for making the tough but correct choice to give someone else a chance to lead the TU football program. We need a fresh start to go along with our renewed focus to build Tulsa football back into a championship level program!

Last edited:
Finally. I’ve been on the fire Monty train for 3 years. I’ve spoken with Monty and he is a nice guy. I’m sure he will land on his feet somewhere. I’m sure he was good to the players but as a football fan, I honestly don’t care about that. I want to see the Tulsa Golden Hurricane come out on Saturdays and dominate the other team.

A bunch of morons on the kotv facebook page saying Tulsa made a mistake and that Monty shouldn’t have been fired

If they are on top of it, and offering GJ...

I wouldn't expect it to be very long before it is announced that we are in negotiations with him, at a minimum. Could be almost as quick as Bill Self coaching search.
My guess is any announcement would come after IWU is eliminated from the FCS playoffs. It would be crappy of all parties involved to do that and take that moment away from both GJ and his players.

More then likely , I understand it’s frustrating, and I personally like Monty as a person , but he has had plenty of time to be successful here
This. For the most part he represented TU and Tulsa with class, had players that did the same and provided the occasional excitement and buzz. But in the end, winning matters when you're trying to reconnect not only a football program with the community but also the entire university. Losing more than you win doesn't cut it, not being competitive and not being ready to play in games you should or could win doesn't cut it.

This. For the most part he represented TU and Tulsa with class, had players that did the same and provided the occasional excitement and buzz. But in the end, winning matters when you're trying to reconnect not only a football program with the community but also the entire university. Losing more than you win doesn't cut it, not being competitive and not being ready to play in games you should or could win doesn't cut it.
Showing discipline, and not getting into fights, especially when you are losing is also a good thing.

Reactions: goldenhurricane1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT