ADVERTISEMENT

MLS on Apple TV+

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So, not only are MLS games tucked away on Apple TV+ the next few years, you have to pay an additional $12.99 (for current Apple TV+ subscribers), or $15.99/month (non Apple TV+ subscribers) to watch the games. So...MLS and Apple TV are going to take a bath. The reason MLS on ESPN+ with just 2-3 games a week on over the air TV worked is because there is a ton of other interesting and good content on ESPN+. Soccer content alone on ESPN+ makes it well worth the $6.99/mo price tag. Add all the TU stuff plus NHL content (for me), plus all the NCAA content, ESPN+ is well worth it. Apple TV+ is like $5.99/mo...good enough for me to keep around for Ted Lasso and the few Apple TV+ produced movies like Coda (outstanding), Greyhound (really good), Finch (really good), and a few other shows, but to be honest, once Ted Lasso is done, I'm probably done with Apple TV. I already do Peacock for the EPL stuff but there are a ton of other shows and content on Peacock that makes it worth the $4.99/mo. Same with Paramount + and their Champions League content.

My guess is MLS is going to regret this deal pretty quickly.

Doesn’t seem like a good long term strategy if one’s goal is to grow interest in MLS. Long term….the more interest (fans) the more revenue.

Doesn’t seem like a good long term strategy if one’s goal is to grow interest in MLS. Long term….the more interest (fans) the more revenue.
Yeah, but if Apple overpaid for the product to begin with the owners don't care...and as long as they're selling players off to European leagues and clubs, they don't care.

Yeah, but if Apple overpaid for the product to begin with the owners don't care...and as long as they're selling players off to European leagues and clubs, they don't care.
As someone who wants to see the MLS grow in popularity and stature this saddens me. Short term thinking imo.

As someone who wants to see the MLS grow in popularity and stature this saddens me. Short term thinking imo.
They weren’t really given much of a choice by the NFL, errr I mean the networks. Wynalda is a jerk but he says things people don’t want to hear or don’t want to believe that are the undeniable truth. They’ve black balled him out of the league but he’s got the money and platform to say what he wants — which is stuff from inside the house that others can’t or won’t say. Don’t forget he broke the Gio story, he just fumbled the facts on air. Listen to everything that Wynalda says about MLS business decisions. It’s exactly right. And he said it will either ensure NFL dominance of TV for 20 years or bankrupt the league and the NFL will buy it. Or both.

Last edited:
Speaks the “undeniable truth” and “fumbles the facts” is quite a combination.

I don’t love the deal, but there are still 34 games on Fox/FS1 plus a large portion of games that are free on apple.

Season ticket holders make out the best because there’s no longer any blackouts and the pass is included with your tickets. Plus it’s a significant improvement in broadcast quality across the board. And you can share your password with up to 5 different users.

But in the end, it will likely still be a mistake to silo their content this much. The league has already grown in popularity well beyond where many people thought it could. And this just adds another hurdle to that challenge.

I don’t love the deal, but there are still 34 games on Fox/FS1 plus a large portion of games that are free on apple.
I wasn't aware of the Fox side deal. When I read about the new TV deal with Apple there was no reference to that at all. Additionally, when I started looking into the MLS deal and found the MLS season pass info, again, the marketing didn't make any reference to the fact that there were additional games available on Apple TV+ without the season pass.

IMO they're going about it the wrong way. I think they're going to struggle to find enough viewers who will pay the additional $13/15 for the MLS package. If Apple were smart, they'd just show ALL the MLS games they have the rights for this season for all of the Apple TV+ subscribers without the extra package. I can see a lot more fans subscribing to Apple TV at $6.99 just for the MLS package than I can see just buying the MLS package or adding the package. It's sort of like the DIrectTV Sunday ticket thing. We got it free the 1st year and liked it so much we kept it....and it is significantly more than the $13 the MLS package would be.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Listen to Wynalda. They aren’t really that concerned with people who are already watching soccer in the USA. We have more soccer here than anywhere else in the world. Most people who watch soccer in America are not league or team loyal. They watch based on what players are on the pitch. And MLS knows that as long as they can’t match salaries and get favorable network time slots, they can’t expand because they can’t attract the players and the networks won’t let them compete with the NFL. They’ve created this monster where a club is supposedly worth $500 million but they can’t play in prime time or pay every player $150,000 a year.

Their only hope is to scoop up the revenue earned by former regional tv rights deals and increase that and divide it evenly with one single deal while gambling shows like Ted Lasso bring in overseas viewers who have limited access to live soccer and will watch it no matter who is playing or in the case of Central and South America, based on young players from those countries in MLS.

I understand the end of the MLS season conflicts with the NFL but they have March - July pretty much to themselves. Would have been nice to see more games on network TV during that time period. There would obviously be some significant contractual issues to overcome. As I said above, I simply don’t see this media contract as a step toward growing interest in the sport in the US.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I understand the end of the MLS season conflicts with the NFL but they have March - July pretty much to themselves. Would have been nice to see more games on network TV during that time period. There would obviously be some significant contractual issues to overcome. As I said above, I simply don’t see this media contract as a step toward growing interest in the sport in the US.
It’s less about short term scheduling conflicts as it allowing the building of momentum for a potentially competing sport. And the networks go along because there are cheaper fills for unused inventory that earn higher ratings.

The G5 will be vulnerable to this approach if they are not careful. That’s why you see me advocate for the Big 12 and or the AAC to brand themselves as after hours counter culture leagues with players and personalities people want to watch.

I don’t really know if it’s good or bad long term. I don’t have cable, just subscriptions (one being Apple TV+) and my sister in law was able to snag a pair of supporter section season tickets so I’ll be able to watch all games for free.

I do know I’m excited about St Louis finally getting an MLS team. Adding Cincinnati and now STL were smart decisions. Both cities are HUGE soccer towns.

There is so much excitement around City SC right now that only those who signed up as interested for season tickets within the 1st hour of the signup going live were able to get season tickets. There weren’t any left after that, except a handful of suites. I almost bought a suite but it required a 8 or 10 year contract. Maybe in 5 years I’ll do that.

Saw an ad somewhere that they are running a promo. Didn't look into it further, but this is what it said about the promo.

Season Pass(for MLS) beginning Feb. 1 and receive a discounted rate.

I don’t really know if it’s good or bad long term. I don’t have cable, just subscriptions (one being Apple TV+) and my sister in law was able to snag a pair of supporter section season tickets so I’ll be able to watch all games for free.

I do know I’m excited about St Louis finally getting an MLS team. Adding Cincinnati and now STL were smart decisions. Both cities are HUGE soccer towns.

There is so much excitement around City SC right now that only those who signed up as interested for season tickets within the 1st hour of the signup going live were able to get season tickets. There weren’t any left after that, except a handful of suites. I almost bought a suite but it required a 8 or 10 year contract. Maybe in 5 years I’ll do that.
My in laws are in StL and there is a ton of excitement about them. My son got a jersey for Christmas and they look sharp. I hate the crest though. It really doesn't resonate w/ me. It could have been a whole lot better. The previous StL FC team had a great great crest. I think City SC should have incorporated the Stl city flag into the crest. (I'll be honest, too many of the MLS sides have generic crests that don't resonate or tell a story). Chicago's old one is easily the best and world class (the new one is a hot mess of pure garbage). Some of the newer ones are the best of the bunch. I like Minnesota United's and Miami's (the loon and the twin flamingos). Charlotte's makes a lot of sense. IMO, the STL SC one with the name on a vertical instead of horizontal is a miss and not incorporating the Fleur-de-Lis you see everywhere in StL is a big miss. Like I said the previous St. Louis FC in USL had one of the very best crests in US soccer and the MLS side should have negotiated a way to use it or incorporate it in. Just my opinion.

My son is playing in a soccer tournament in StL in April and City SC has a game that Saturday night. We might try to grab some tickets to go but I worry about how much that might run me at that point in their inaugural season.

The University of Tulsa would like to talk to you about vacant suite space.

My in laws are in StL and there is a ton of excitement about them. My son got a jersey for Christmas and they look sharp. I hate the crest though. It really doesn't resonate w/ me. It could have been a whole lot better. The previous StL FC team had a great great crest. I think City SC should have incorporated the Stl city flag into the crest. (I'll be honest, too many of the MLS sides have generic crests that don't resonate or tell a story). Chicago's old one is easily the best and world class (the new one is a hot mess of pure garbage). Some of the newer ones are the best of the bunch. I like Minnesota United's and Miami's (the loon and the twin flamingos). Charlotte's makes a lot of sense. IMO, the STL SC one with the name on a vertical instead of horizontal is a miss and not incorporating the Fleur-de-Lis you see everywhere in StL is a big miss. Like I said the previous St. Louis FC in USL had one of the very best crests in US soccer and the MLS side should have negotiated a way to use it or incorporate it in. Just my opinion.

My son is playing in a soccer tournament in StL in April and City SC has a game that Saturday night. We might try to grab some tickets to go but I worry about how much that might run me at that point in their inaugural season.
Crest, kit, mascot, and logo are direct reflections on the wealth and commitment to competing of the program regardless of sport.

The University of Tulsa would like to talk to you about vacant suite space.
I’ve considered getting one but I rarely make it to more than one game per year, if that.

Once my kids are older though, I’ll probably get in touch with them about one.

STL SC wins their first-ever game!!! That was so much fun to watch, my oldest boys are 9 and 11, and neither will sit and watch football or basketball with me, but they watched the game last night from start to finish with me.

It was an awesome match and great bonding for the 3 of us.

STL SC wins their first-ever game!!! That was so much fun to watch, my oldest boys are 9 and 11, and neither will sit and watch football or basketball with me, but they watched the game last night from start to finish with me.

It was a fun game to watch. St Louis City SC is going to be fun to watch this season. They have a good front line, very creative. They will concede some goals as their backline is sort of piecemeal right now and that seems to be the MO for expansion teams. Find goals and worry about the backline later.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
It was a fun game to watch. St Louis City SC is going to be fun to watch this season. They have a good front line, very creative. They will concede some goals as their backline is sort of piecemeal right now and that seems to be the MO for expansion teams. Find goals and worry about the backline later.
The back line was going to be the strongest unit but 2 or 3 of the players got injured right before the season.

I agree they should be fun to watch all season because of their play style. I fully expect them to drop quite a few matches because their pressing leads to 4 on 2s but it is great finally to have a pro sport in the city I’m in that I care about.

I’ve never been a fan of baseball and don’t care much for NHL either.

So I guess I've lucked out and as a T-Mobile customer, I get the MLS package for free this season. I guess I shouldn't complain about the cost now 😂

• Haha

Update my boys told me I don’t know soccer because STL won their first game and I told them they wouldn’t.

They’re both convinced STL is going to win it all (maybe even every single game??). You’ve gotta love their positivity

Update my boys told me I don’t know soccer because STL won their first game and I told them they wouldn’t.

They’re both convinced STL is going to win it all (maybe even every single game??). You’ve gotta love their positivity
Positivity is good, just hope they don't get discouraged because an expansion team ends up playing like an expansion team.

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the STL SC's first home game, in the supporter’s section. That was easily the coolest and most fun atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of at a sporting event. It was the first time I’d ever been to a pro soccer match, so perhaps this is common, but almost everyone in the stands stood for the entire game. Not just in the supporters section.

The closest sports atmosphere I can think of to it was the TU basketball games with large crowds while I was a student (Memphis w/ Derrick Rose, beating OSU when Wheatley had a career game, and the CBI championship).

Reactions: TU_BLA and ctt8410
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT