ADVERTISEMENT

MLS Cup

I watched the first half and enjoyed it. I'm always happy for Landon, for the simple reason our national team would be in a world of hurt over the years without him. Beckham, I've always been fairly indifferent, but man he sure makes some pretty serves that no one else can make.

One of these days I'll get off my ass and actually go to an MLS game. I've got a pretty sweet Portland Timbers T that I wear just to piss off what few Seattle fans I know. :)

Keane's been hurt, so he hasnt played much. Its been easy to miss.

Interesting that Beckham set up the goal with his head. You dont see that much from him.

Its clear that Donovan and Beckham have both been playing with undisclosed injuries. After two weeks off, they both played the best first 30 minutes either player has put in for awhile now.

Beckham was everywhere he needed to be. Donovan flat left the game until about 5 or 10 minutes before the goal.

You could not have scripted a better goal. It was like a made for TV movie or something. Donovan is starting to get a flair for the dramatic.

Interesting that when the trophy was presented, Bruce Arena was off the stage way over on the left. After a few people raised the Cup, he literally had to snatch it from some people's hands for his photo shot.

Makes you wonder if he is going to be around or not.

MLS is switching to an unbalanced schedule next season to cut down on travel. Average travel miles in MLS per player: 55,000. In EPL: 3,000, almost all by train.

So the West Coast teams will be playing each other more. Conference play will start to look like the NFL and less like the EPL.

Ryan Pore and Montreal join the league next year. This may be the last chance for him and the MLS.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
I watched the first half and enjoyed it. I'm always happy for Landon, for the simple reason our national team would be in a world of hurt over the years without him. Beckham, I've always been fairly indifferent, but man he sure makes some pretty serves that no one else can make.

One of these days I'll get off my ass and actually go to an MLS game. I've got a pretty sweet Portland Timbers T that I wear just to piss off what few Seattle fans I know. :)
Sounds like a road trip for you to watch Montreal and KC is in order, if Pore sticks with the team.

Thanks for the link, Huffy. Does Celtic have such a badass keeper that Cervi can't even get an occasional start?

No. Celtic have been a shambles lately and uncertainty at keeper is part of it. Dom had a couple of chances at the job but couldn't land the part. It didn't help when he performed poorly against Seattle in a friendly last year and Bunker Bob calling him in but not playing didn't help his chances with the club either. I assume they are loaning him as a show piece for sale. But I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
I actually enjoy MLS games...especially at the soccer-specific venues.

I went to KC and watched the Wizards play the Galaxy (Beckham was out), and I went to KC again and watched Freddie Adu with United. Although, both games were at Arrowhead, and they were still the Wizards.

I also went to Dallas and watched FCD play Galaxy. That time I got to watch Beckham in person, which was cool. I actually ran into him coming off the elevator...I was staying at the same hotel as the Galaxy. Beckham was flanked by two guards who looked at me like I was going to jump on him or something. I just told him "good luck", and Becks said "thanks" in his cockney british accent. That's my claim to fame...had a conversation with Beckham face-to-face.
tongue.gif

The coolest venue I've been to is Red Bull stadium in New Jersey. It's a haul to get to from NYC, but a very cool place. I saw them play just before Henry joined the team.

MLS was the third most attended pro league in the US in 2011. Id go to KC. Pizza Hut Park is a cool venue, but there are too many families and empty seats. Have a few pints then join the pack in the Cauldron at SKC.

Player tweets seem to indicate that Pore is headed back to Portland. No confirmation from team or player that I could find.

Cool story about Becks.

I have a goal that I don't share much, because most people think I'm crazy. I want to see a game at every soccer-specific MLS stadium. Pizza Hut Park was an easy drive. I went to Red Bull because I happened to be visiting a buddy in NYC. The KC stadium should be easy enough...but then it gets difficult for me.

Next stop for you is Houston for their new $199 million stadia, I guess. The thing looks like a TIE fighter.

I'd like to see a game in Philly. The team presses up the field and scores a lot and it looks gorgeous on tv with that river and bridge in the background.

Portland declined to exercise the second year option on Pore. So he's out of contract and without a club. He will have to go through a bizarre process called the re-entry draft. I'll try to find out where he might be headed. There's some random fan chatter that Montreal might want him back. A lot of MLS legends on this years re entry draft. If no club selects them, their career is effectively over -- Hejduk, Thornton, Quaranta, Albright, Cunningham, etc.
This post was edited on 11/30 11:16 PM by HuffyCane

All this talk about the MLS Cup makes me want to start watching and following. I played soccer for almost 10 years when I was younger but really fell out of touch with the sport through HS and College. My daughter is starting to get into it now (she is 6) and its making me realize why I loved playing so much when I was a kid.

I need you're help to decide which team I should start following. When does the season start? Are games televised much or available online?

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
All this talk about the MLS Cup makes me want to start watching and following. I played soccer for almost 10 years when I was younger but really fell out of touch with the sport through HS and College. My daughter is starting to get into it now (she is 6) and its making me realize why I loved playing so much when I was a kid.

I need you're help to decide which team I should start following. When does the season start? Are games televised much or available online?
Glad to hear that the game is bringing you back. More people need to support MLS. You might have stayed with soccer through high school or college if pro soccer were an option for you. I know my interest waned the closer I got to the end of the line. If MLS had been around I know I would have enjoyed the game more during my final seasons -- and would have played harder. That's why Im one of the quirky folks that follows the league -- kids need something to work towards and I didnt have that growing up.

Yes, the games are televised. There are at least three and as many six games a week on TV. ESPN2 has a Thursday prime time telecast every other week, but that is being examined. Fox Soccer Channel had one or two games a week live, usually on Friday or Saturday night in prime time. However, their contract has ended and MLS will be moving to Versus, what will soon be called NBC Sports Network. Telefutura broadcasts the games on Sunday evening in spanish only, but that doesnt matter if you are watching the game in a pub with your friends.

ESPN3 broadcasts at least one game a week live for free. The MLS website charges for most of their content. However, each club is required to have a local tv deal and so many local television stations make their games available for free on-line. Seattle and Portland are examples of this in the past. No clue about the future.

The games are hard to find on TV. I love the league and spend a few hours a week following it, year around. I have trouble finding games. You can sign up for an email alert at mlssoccer.com that will tell you on Tuesday what games are coming up.

The Superdraft is January 12 and will be on ESPN2. The regular season begins March 10th, but most of February find MLS on the road playing exhibition games in cities where the teams camp. Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego, etc. There may be a chance to see a game live in your area. I actually take three days vacation and go to Orlando. Surf in the morning. Soccer in the afternoon. Orange Ave. at night.

Which club you support depends on a lot of factors. Traditionally, it should be your hometown or the club nearest your hometown. I played for teams that wore blue and white/gold and KC is close to Tulsa, so if I have to pick a club, Sporting is it. They also have the most offensive firepower in the league right now and a world class stadium.

Galaxy are a good pick, just because they always seem to have the best players. Even in down years, you can look at the roster and see they are three years from a Cup. Beckham is leaving, but Drogba just disclosed that he turned down the option to stay at Chelsea and will be looking for another club. Galaxy made the list along with two other teams. Chris will tell you to back the Galaxy. He used to have a Galaxy avatar, iirc.

Dallas plays pretty good soocer and they have a nice facility, but the crowd is all families and their coach used to coach at SMU, so I cant back that rabble under any circumstances. They do win though.

Houston has a new stadium opening in March and has a long history of championships. They play a physical game.

NY Redbulls obviously have some players known around the world and a brand new stadium. They are underachievers and I just cant deal with the whole " We are the East Coast and better than you even though we lose" sports vibe.

Columbus is an old franchise with a blue collar mentality. They win with no name players and a tiny budget.

Chicago has a nice facility and they are putting the team back together. They have a former player coaching who has turned things around.

As someone just getting into the league, two attractive teams are Salt Lake and DC. Both have very very young coaches who have shown extraordinary technical ability in their first few years as coaches. Jason Kreis retired from Salt Lake, became the coach, and won the Cup just a year later at the age of 35. Ben Olsen, a national team and MLS veteran, took over DC after retiring and is poised for similar results, if this season is any indication. Both teams play technically advanced, attacking style soccer. They both avoid what was once a staple of MLS -- overly physical play with poor passing and substandard finishing. Salt Lake play a beautiful brand of soccer that rivals the styles you see in elite teams in the epl and europe that snobs claim cant be duplicated here in America. They've never seen Salt Lake on all cylinders.

Portland is a new franchise and has the best gameday atmosphere. Youtube portland timbers and you'll see what I mean. Thousands of people singing, dozens of flags, etc. Everyone in Europe who sees it is impressed if not overwhelmed. Plenty of English clubs would like to have their following.

Seattle has the numbers. they regularly draw 65K a game. Everytime I fly, I see some jackwagon in a Sounders jersey.

Or you can simply pick a player and follow whatever team they are playing on. I never miss a Colorado game, but find it difficult to sustain any interest in the team. Watching Conor Casey play for Colorado is like watching old game tape of me. I had basically the same height/playing weight. He is notorious for his physical play as a holding forward and I didnt consider a game a success unless I had a hat trick. Most people think that's three goals in a game. I call a hat trick a goal, an assist, and a card for dissent or unsporting conduct.

Let me know if you have other questions. I love talking about the league, but loathe soccer message boards.

Sporting KC is the team to choose. Its close, the stadium is awesome, the tailgating is awesome, the games are fun, and the team doesn't suck for now. I am dropping my season tickets to the Drillers next year so I can attend more matches up there. Now if we can just get rid of the soccer snobs who refuse to watch the MLS because its not their beloved EPL, I just want to punch those people in the face.

Originally posted by DirtyDanchez:
Now if we can just get rid of the soccer snobs who refuse to watch the MLS because its not their beloved EPL, I just want to punch those people in the face.
Oh my gosh, yes! One of my best buddies is kind of a world traveler type, and he currently lives in Jordan, but his company is based out of London. He is a big EPL guy, but he just refuses to buy into MLS. It makes me so mad.

Originally posted by HuffyCane:
Galaxy are a good pick, just because they always seem to have the best players. Even in down years, you can look at the roster and see they are three years from a Cup. Beckham is leaving, but Drogba just disclosed that he turned down the option to stay at Chelsea and will be looking for another club. Galaxy made the list along with two other teams. Chris will tell you to back the Galaxy. He used to have a Galaxy avatar, iirc.
LOL! I do like Galaxy, mainly due to Donovan, and when Beckham joined, it made them even more interesting. Drogba would be fantastic!

By the way, Huffy, your long post was AWESOME! I'm glad to know there is someone here that has such a passion for MLS. I too wish more people would pay attention to the league. You follow it much closer than I do though.

I like KC as well. I've seen them play live three or four times. I think the first time I went, I saw Digital Takawira score and do his crawl.

I was so disappointed when Tulsa and/or OKC didn't get a team, because I don't really feel close to a team at all. My family is all from Illinois, and they were Cubs and Bears fans, but I haven't really connected with the Fire. I need to get to KC's new stadium and check it out...maybe that would make me a full-time Sporting fan.

Huffy thank you for the post, I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and make a couple Sporting games this next season now. Are there any good MLS news/rumors sites?

There's a surprising number of fan sites out there. Its almost a nerdish cult like following like trekkies and wanna be jedis, so you have to sample what you like.

Sporting's website does a good job of covering the team, especially with their short video segments.

www.mlssoccer.com is the main site and it pretty much has everything you need to keep up with the league, but it can be short on technical info and long on cheerleading style player hype articles and fluff. I do like their twice weekly hour long podcast, Extra Time Radio. They have a good mix of players, coaches, and media guests to talk about the league and the USMNT. You can listen to that in the car on iTunes on the way home and keep up with whats going on with each team pretty well. Unlike most sports talk shows, the show is about the league. Its not about them.

Its really the only consistent quality audio/video coverage of the league out there right now. One positive thing about it is that if you can remember to listen to it fairly regularly, you'll start to recognize the names of the players and where they play. That's MLS's biggest problem right now. There are two types of players -- guys everyone has heard of and who are overpaid and guys nobody has heard of and are underpaid. Extra Time will get you to the point where you start to learn the names of many of the role players on each team.

There's another podcast called Around The League that some people like. Its also on iTunes and can be found by searching for CSRN. Im not a fan of it, but its a weekly report from representatives of all the team's supporters clubs on what happened with the team the previous week. The coverage ranges from cheerleading to some very detailed observations (especially about tactics, trades and rumors) that mainstream media would never cover.

As far as getting into Sporting goes and the internet, I would go to their main page, find the page that lists the Supporters groups, read those and decide which one fits you best (are you bringing kids to the game, etc.). I would subscribe to their email updates, FB, etc. It usually doesnt cost anything. Then when you go up for a game, email the Prez and let him know. Most supporters groups are more than happy to roll out the red carpet to out of towners, get you tickets in their section, invite you to the tailgates, etc. at least that's been my experience at Columbus, Chicago (The fans in Section 8 are over the top. They started a fire and threw smoke bombs while I was there like we were in a game in Bosnia or something), and LA.

Some people like this site, but Ive met the guys that put it together and they are somewhat annoying. They do spend a lot of time on epl and mls though.
This post was edited on 12/7 8:13 AM by HuffyCane

MLS Talk

This guy usually knows what he is talking about, which is unusual for US media that never played the game.

Shin Guardian

This is a little off topic, but a lot of people bag on Kyle Martino, John Harkes, Alexi Lalas, etc., as TV analysts but I'm glad those guys are doing what they are doing, because they played in the leage and provide that perspective.

I totally agree. What they are doing is vital. It ticks me off that the second British invasion of American soccer is happening just at the point when soccer is going to be more on TV than ever before. Both ESPN and NBC coverage of MLS will feature British play-by-play folks, despite plenty of decent announcers -- some with decades of experience right here at home.

I dont understand why ESPN dumped Harkes for Twellmen as their color guy. Dont get me wrong, I understand why people dont like Harkes, but Twellman has less than a year experience and his observations border on the childish. I'd rather hear Harkes talk about his career or turn snobby on some inferior player for no good reason than hear Twellman talk about about what a good header that was or other drivel.

And all of this is happening just when there are some exciting things happening for soccer on TV.

NBC is going to carry several games on the main network and have Monday Night Futbol on Versus -- an MLS game nearly every week in primetime on Monday nights during the spring. This is exactly what MLS needs.

ESPN is going to start coupling EPL games and MLS games back to back on select Saturdays.

And finally FOX is showing Champions League semi finals live and tape delayed on their main channels.

The last thing we need is a bunch of Brit cast offs taking the prime broadcast spots. I love listening to Martin Tyler call the English nationl games. There are a half dozen guys that do a great job in the epl. I look forward to hearing them call their games. But they dont belong in the MLS.

She needs to get that thing removed, until then she's great for radio. Otherwise, I have no idea what she's saying. You're just focused on that huge spot next to her mouth. If I can't see her face, she makes good points.

Originally posted by HuffyCane:
Portland declined to exercise the second year option on Pore. So he's out of contract and without a club. He will have to go through a bizarre process called the re-entry draft. I'll try to find out where he might be headed. There's some random fan chatter that Montreal might want him back. A lot of MLS legends on this years re entry draft. If no club selects them, their career is effectively over -- Hejduk, Thornton, Quaranta, Albright, Cunningham, etc.

This post was edited on 11/30 11:16 PM by HuffyCane
Pore was not selected in the second phase of the re-entry draft. He is now essentially an unsigned, unrestricted free agent, if I understand the process correctly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT