ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Peters

tupatsfan

I.T.S. Junior
Dec 12, 2016
cheers to him today calling out the program under Monty. I think we won’t have a choice but to fire him. Yesterday was the first time I felt we had quit, and that’s dangerous.

Peters has been a constant ahole to TU since taking over. Whether he's right or wrong on this I don't care what he has to say

Peters may be a taco short of a full combo platter but I can't disagree with anything in his column today.

Reactions: eastcane
Hines article today mentions "fans quietly asking for Montgomery to be fired."

Mid Season firings at a place like this are detrimental to the program as a whole. It's already hard enough attracting players and coaches who know the one thing they can get here if they succeed is a shot at a bigger, more lucrative job. Make this a place where they think they can't even get that and we're stuck with Keith Burns.

We were all in on Monty when he was hired. This offensive system works. What Monty has missed on is bringing in a QB that can be relied upon. Then again, we started a RS FR the 2nd half of last season and expected him to be Tim Tebow this season. He wasn't, so we start another RS FR who has struggled. Nobody wants to give these guys a chance to develop and grow. By that measure Dane Evans never makes it out of his sophomore season.

sure lots of great candidates will be lined up to replace a coach who was asked to take a voluntary pay cut!!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Mid Season firings at a place like this are detrimental to the program as a whole. It's already hard enough attracting players and coaches who know the one thing they can get here if they succeed is a shot at a bigger, more lucrative job. Make this a place where they think they can't even get that and we're stuck with Keith Burns.

We were all in on Monty when he was hired. This offensive system works. What Monty has missed on is bringing in a QB that can be relied upon. Then again, we started a RS FR the 2nd half of last season and expected him to be Tim Tebow this season. He wasn't, so we start another RS FR who has struggled. Nobody wants to give these guys a chance to develop and grow. By that measure Dane Evans never makes it out of his sophomore season.

The QB’s not performing isn’t the issue as much as not having one on campus that can in his 4th year.

I thought the Peters article was fine...we have all read articles significantly more harsh from the Tulsa World than this one.

Percentage chance Monty is fired during the season - 0%

At the end of the season - 25%

Regardless of the pay cut, there are a lot of coaches that would like to increase their salary from $300-500K to $1.2M.

Reactions: astonmartin708
If he’s paid for performance it isn’t a voluntary pay cut.

If he is fired we need to repay the cut. He did that in good faith.

Any FBS coach who has 2 FBS wins, in two years should expect that he may not finish the season. We would not want a coach who would look at a program as a place to hang on because no one cares enough to make the required change.

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made, it can still be done with intregity and honor. Doing so ensures you attract the sort of people for whom that matters.

If we do things the right way, we will attract the right people.

This guy won 10 games 2 years ago. He has his qb in camp but unable to play. Be smart and remember UCF was winless two years before their streak.

Reactions: astonmartin708
This guy won 10 games 2 years ago. He has his qb in camp but unable to play. Be smart and remember UCF was winless two years before their streak.

Ironic that President, Hefley, Boomer, Skipper, Brin we’re all QBs Monty recruited out of high school. The QB on the roster who Monty did not recruit/offer out of high school...Zack Smith.

Ironic that President, Hefley, Boomer, Skipper, Brin we’re all QBs Monty recruited out of high school. The QB on the roster who Monty did not recruit/offer out of high school...Zack Smith.
Hefley was a Blankenship signing and. Boomer had only one D 1 offer....Tulsa . Tulsa will never sign a freshman phenom that impresses in the first year. OSU’s Cornelius isn’t tearing it up in his fifth year.

I disagree. Paul Smith was terrific as a true freshman. David Johnson was terrific as a redshirt freshman against Minnesota in game 1 of the season. 20/30 170. It’s possible even if it isn’t ideal. Small sample size. But both kids were playing in a less QB friendly offense and put up solid numbers in tough situations. Just my .02.

Hefley was a Blankenship signing and. Boomer had only one D 1 offer....Tulsa . Tulsa will never sign a freshman phenom that impresses in the first year. OSU’s Cornelius isn’t tearing it up in his fifth year.

There's a reason why Cornelius was a walk-on. There aren't many Baker Mayfield's out there. I think Gundy is playing the wrong QB but that's an entirely different discussion.

Hefley was a Blankenship commit.

I'm still not hopeless on Skipper or Boomer to be honest. You're always going to have growing pains. We don't have any patience. Before this year the last meaningful snap Boomer took was in high school- TWO YEARS AGO. You throw him in a game against the BEST defense he has ever faced in game 1 and he did a pretty admirable job. Game 2 is against a ranked USF team...and he did a pretty good job that day. But remember, now USF had game tape to plan for what TU would run with him. Game 3- Arkansas. By far the fastest defense he will face this year and with an NFL caliber DB or 2 playing for them.

Boomer will be OK as his mind speeds up to the pace of the game. Skipper, if he figures out a way to be stronger with the ball in the pocket, will be fine as well.

UCF fired the head coach when he started a year 0-8. The head coach who was there for 10+ season, won 9 games the year before and 12 the year before that. 2 years later they were undefeated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_O'Leary

I'm not sure which side of the argument you are supporting...

With the new rules I am guessing Oklahoma State will be getting a qb change when there are 4 games left so their freshman can still redshirt this season but play the last 4 games.....if you are wasting a season then you might as well start all your freshman the last 4 games so they can get some playing time and still redshirt.

OSU has a QB sitting on it's bench whose started 25 D1 games, has a 62% completion percentage, has thrown for over 5000 yards along with 37 TDs. Your guess is as good as mine why he's hasn't seen the field at this point.

Then again, we started a RS
FR the 2nd half of last season and expected him to be Tim Tebow this season.

He wasn't, so we start another RS FR who has struggled. Nobody wants to give these guys a chance to develop and grow. By that measure Dane Evans never makes it out of his sophomore season.
I agree about our two red shirt Quaterbacks, but I disagree about Dane Evans...
While he obviously had some growing to do early on, He showed the arm, the
Intuits, and the decision making ability to predict that he would be a good one...
I posted to that effect when he was young while others were complaining....

While one of our current active QBs may develop to be a good one, I do not
see the same talent/ability/savvy package in either of them that I saw in
Dane....Monty coming on board helped Dane as well....Is he still coaching the
current QBs as hard?? Then too, there is the issue of the quality of the wide-
outs that Dane threw too Vs. what the current QBs are throwing to...Tragically,
there seems little comparison.....

Others will disagree, and that is as it should be.....Let's hope for the best....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT