ADVERTISEMENT

Masters

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So, the Masters is this week. It will be interesting to see how differently the course plays considering the wind patterns and weather patterns are distinctly different than in April during its normal time slot. I'm watching an interview with Bryson Dechambeau and one of the reporters asked him what he was hitting for 2nd shots into the holes. Anyone familiar with Augusta National knows that performance on the par 5s can absolutely determine the outcome of the tournament. Dechambeau just said he hit 7-iron into hole 2, a 6 iron into hole 8, a PW into hole 13, and an 8 iron into hole 15. These are absolutely ridiculous. He also said because there are no fans on the course that he has considered and practiced hitting his drive on 13 up the 14th fairway. He's also experimenting with a 48 inch driver (normal is 45-46"). He can get away without driving it straight at Augusta unlike at other major venues like a US Open with the long rough. We'll see how it works out for him.

My picks this week:
Matthew Wolff- funky swing is weirdly effective
Jason Day
Tiger Woods (Tiger is always in the hunt at Augusta; key will be to shoot no worse than 70 on day 1....if he feels like he's in contention after day 1, he'll play better days 2-4).
Bubba Watson
Jordan Spieth - can't hit the ball straight but you don't really have to at Augusta. If he can hit the greens, he is still one of the best putters, and most imaginative putters, on the planet.

Why I never pick Rory at Augusta- supremely talented. He's in his own head too much, especially at Augusta. Rory will shoot 76 or 77 on Thursday and then a decent round on Friday to make the cut. He'll press too much on Saturday an go backwards and be down 8-10 shots on Sunday. He will then shoot 64 or 65 on Sunday and lose by 5 strokes. His history since hiss last major win is like lather-rinse-repeat.

Also, Dechambeau, if it's wet like they predict, it could play into Dechambeau's hands. If he starts fast Thursday and gets to -5 or so, he'll be a factor. If he gets off to a slow start, he'll go backwards.

So, the Masters is this week. It will be interesting to see how differently the course plays considering the wind patterns and weather patterns are distinctly different than in April during its normal time slot. I'm watching an interview with Bryson Dechambeau and one of the reporters asked him what he was hitting for 2nd shots into the holes. Anyone familiar with Augusta National knows that performance on the par 5s can absolutely determine the outcome of the tournament. Dechambeau just said he hit 7-iron into hole 2, a 6 iron into hole 8, a PW into hole 13, and an 8 iron into hole 15. These are absolutely ridiculous. He also said because there are no fans on the course that he has considered and practiced hitting his drive on 13 up the 14th fairway. He's also experimenting with a 48 inch driver (normal is 45-46"). He can get away without driving it straight at Augusta unlike at other major venues like a US Open with the long rough. We'll see how it works out for him.

My picks this week:
Matthew Wolff- funky swing is weirdly effective
Jason Day
Tiger Woods (Tiger is always in the hunt at Augusta; key will be to shoot no worse than 70 on day 1....if he feels like he's in contention after day 1, he'll play better days 2-4).
Bubba Watson
Jordan Spieth - can't hit the ball straight but you don't really have to at Augusta. If he can hit the greens, he is still one of the best putters, and most imaginative putters, on the planet.

Why I never pick Rory at Augusta- supremely talented. He's in his own head too much, especially at Augusta. Rory will shoot 76 or 77 on Thursday and then a decent round on Friday to make the cut. He'll press too much on Saturday an go backwards and be down 8-10 shots on Sunday. He will then shoot 64 or 65 on Sunday and lose by 5 strokes. His history since hiss last major win is like lather-rinse-repeat.

Also, Dechambeau, if it's wet like they predict, it could play into Dechambeau's hands. If he starts fast Thursday and gets to -5 or so, he'll be a factor. If he gets off to a slow start, he'll go backwards.
I Got Rory Mcilroy

I Got Rory Mcilroy
Everyone takes Rory in every major. And who knows, maybe the November conditions (wet and slow) at August bring him back into play this week. I don't think he plays particularly well in the dry, fast conditions. The US Open he won at Congressional- one of the wettest on record.

I see Lee Westwood is on the leaderboard right now. Maybe he'll pull that massive 2 X 4 out of his backside in time to actually finish in the top 10.

I worry about the guys who went really early yesterday and then come out super late today. Tiger will make the cut but I fear having to finish n Saturday and then an almost immediate turn around for the 3rd round will see him get really tired and fall out of contention.

The wonderful thing about the Masters is you don't need to be a bomber to play the course well. Larry Mize is 60+ yrs old and shot 70 yesterday. He avg. 247 yds off the tee. Dechambeau shot 70 yesterday avg. 334 yds off the tee.
Rory is +3. His collapse in 2010 is in his head and I don't think he will ever get over it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT