ADVERTISEMENT

Making Covid permanent?

Seems like an odd decision given the low risk profile for children and the reduced ability to slow transmission of the new strains. Is there a transcript out there of their discussion before the vote?

Seems like an odd decision given the low risk profile for children and the reduced ability to slow transmission of the new strains. Is there a transcript out there of their discussion before the vote?
It went like this:
"All those in favor of getting big dividend checks from Moderna say "Aye""

Haven’t seen anything. The effect of the decision is it will give states the green light to include the vaccine on their mandatory list for children to attend public schools.

New, faster spreading variants have already been identified and with winter on the way, it's hard to believe that winter will not feature spikes.
Covid is the new flu. Unfortunately the old flu is still around as well. Have my doubts if vaccines can be developed fast enough to keep up with the new variants. The lack of efforts to eliminate obesity in light of Covid is one of the biggest health failures I’ve ever witnessed.

Covid is the new flu. Unfortunately the old flu is still around as well. Have my doubts if vaccines can be developed fast enough to keep up with the new variants. The lack of efforts to eliminate obesity in light of Covid is one of the biggest health failures I’ve ever witnessed.
You can't just flip a light switch to tackle obesity. If they were working like crazy to tackle obesity since covid, they would have made little progress. You seem a little obsessed with things that are almost impossible to be solved. Certainly you cannot solve it in 3 years.

Reactions: drboobay
You can't just flip a light switch to tackle obesity. If they were working like crazy to tackle obesity since covid, they would have made little progress. You seem a little obsessed with things that are almost impossible to be solved. Certainly you cannot solve it in 3 years.
Whose talking about solving it in 3 years? Sure would be nice to see a start though. Obesity is increasing in the US btw where 1/3 of adults are currently obese. We need to reverse this trend. America is …..fat

Last edited:
Whose talking about solving it in 3 years? Sure would be nice to see a start though.
You are saying we must solve obesity to battle covid. Covid will be long forgotten as a pandemic before any headway on obesity would be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
You are saying we must solve obesity to battle covid. Covid will be long forgotten as a pandemic before any headway would be made.
There will be another Covid. We already have heart disease, diabetes, etc…. Obesity is the second cause of preventable death next to smoking. Look at the effort we put into warning people about the health risks associated with smoking.

My wife and I drove from Pennsylvania to the Washington State precovid and one of the most enduring and repeated experiences along the way was walking into restaurants and cafes and feeling as if we had just lowered the average body weight in the room by 20%. People were both overweight and eating enormous plate of food before getting back in RV's to head off to the next ... cafe? OK maybe they were just a select subset of retired folks, and yes I live in a community that trends toward outdoor exercise, but we were left with impression of that obesity is widespread and ingrained.

Last edited:
There will be another Covid. We already have heart disease, diabetes, etc…. Obesity is the second cause of preventable death next to smoking. Look at the effort we put into warning people about the health risks associated with smoking.
Now you are putting it in the proper context. The problem is we are not tackling a problem that has existed as a health risk in many facets. Not that we didn't begin using covid as a reason to tackle the problem.

My wife and drove from Pennsylvania to the Washington State precovid and one of the most enduring and repeated experiences along the way was walking into restaurants and cafes and feeling as if we had just lowered the average body weight in the room by 20%. People were both overweight and eating enormous plate of food before getting back in RV's to head off the next ... cafe? OK maybe they were just a select subset of retired folks, and yes I live in a community that trends toward outdoor exercise, but we were left with impression of that obesity is widespread and ingrained.
I believe that to be a correct observation. Europe doesn’t have this problem near to the extent as we do here

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Now you are putting it in the proper context. The problem is we are not tackling a problem that has existed as a health risk in many facets. Not that we didn't begin using covid as a reason to tackle the problem.
…but aren’t the lessons we learned from Covid a great reason to begin to emphasize this issue? We should at least temporarily have the attention of the people

…but aren’t the lessons we learned from Covid a great reason to begin to emphasize this issue? We should at least temporarily have the attention of the people
It could have been the new impetus.

The problem is it is a lifestyle issue that is much harder to resolve than even smoking. You have to tackle diet and exercise. Diet is tough in the sense that you have to eat. This leads to marketers and food producers taking advantage of the products that are addictive and the worst dietary cause of obesity.

It leads to almost every pre processed product in the stores having some form of corn in it, and having too much sweetener and excess salt. It must be tackled in the stores, and in the homes. Much more complex than the smoking habit.

It's nice to see that WATU understands there are some things you can't control or address quickly, like obesity and global co2 output.

Significant ruling coming from the NY Supreme Court today. Court rule the state violated the rights of all unvaccinated employees when it fired them. Ordered all to be reinstated with back pay. Likely the death blow for state vaccination mandates.

Looks like we can remove the question mark from the title of the thread. No chance the White House is voluntarily giving up the power and control the emergency declaration provides

Whose talking about solving it in 3 years? Sure would be nice to see a start though. Obesity is increasing in the US btw where 1/3 of adults are currently obese. We need to reverse this trend. America is …..fat
We also have an epidemic of eating disorders among teen girls since Covid. And starvation is much more harmful than excessive weight.

I am just saying we need to be careful with our rhetoric particularly when those who are vulnerable to certain messages are around.

We also have an epidemic of eating disorders among teen girls since Covid. And starvation is much more harmful than excessive weight.

I am just saying we need to be careful with our rhetoric particularly when those who are vulnerable to certain messages are around.
I don’t buy into the idea that we shouldn’t fight obesity due to people with eating disorders. Over 280k Americans die each year from obesity. Millions more suffer poor health and fill our hospitals. It’s a problem which is rapidly rising in this country.

Unfortunately, I have first hand experience with eating disorders. I’ve seen how it controls one’s life. I’ve dealt with the lying and shame which comes from these disorders. I’ve seen teeth literally rot from bulimia. So I am sensitive to the topic. Still believe we should work to reduce obesity though.

I don’t buy into the idea that we shouldn’t fight obesity due to people with eating disorders. Over 280k Americans die each year from obesity. Millions more suffer poor health and fill our hospitals. It’s a problem which is rapidly rising in this country.

Unfortunately, I have first hand experience with eating disorders. I’ve seen how it controls one’s life. I’ve dealt with the lying and shame which comes from these disorders. I’ve seen teeth literally rot from bulimia. So I am sensitive to the topic. Still believe we should work to reduce obesity though.
I have personal experience too and it leads me to err on the side of avoiding criticism of excessive weight. I would switch to discussion to promoting health and fitness.

Not sure even vaccinations are having much affect on the old these days. Still would highly recommend to the elderly though.

In October, Felton’s team logged six deaths due to the virus, many of them among vaccinated people. Their ages: 80s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 90s.

Not sure even vaccinations are having much affect on the old these days. Still would highly recommend to the elderly though.

In October, Felton’s team logged six deaths due to the virus, many of them among vaccinated people. Their ages: 80s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 90s.
I believe they continue to be helpful at around the level of annual flu vaccine which I get religiously annually.

we are told that we must get covid shots to be safe. but segrigate the non vacinated because they will make the vacinated sick?

I wouldn't question the efficacy of the vaccination on the elderly based on anecdotal evidence on six deaths in one location/county. 4 of them were in their 80's and 90's, and none of them had their pre infection health revealed. They didn't even reveal the # of his case load, I don't believe. And that was not compared to other caseloads, in other locations.

I wouldn't question the efficacy of the vaccination on the elderly based on anecdotal evidence on six deaths in one location/county. 4 of them were in their 80's and 90's, and none of them had their pre infection health revealed. They didn't even reveal the # of his case load, I don't believe. And that was not compared to other caseloads, in other locations.
Valid point

China ICUs are now overrun with Covid cases. Zero Covid related deaths in China over the past week :)

China ICUs are now overrun with Covid cases. Zero Covid related deaths in China over the past week :)

Apparently they don't count it if there are comorbities.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT