ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Skipper

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
Can anybody tell me what kind of QB he is? Strengths? Weaknesses? I have seen him play very few times but wanted to know if anyone had any good insight on him. Seemed to be able to throw pretty well.

Can anybody tell me what kind of QB he is? Strengths? Weaknesses? I have seen him play very few times but wanted to know if anyone had any good insight on him. Seemed to be able to throw pretty well.
Big arm, more mobile than Dane. I've described him as a hybrid between GJ (mobility and ability to throw on the run) and Dane (arm strength).

A couple of people post a couple of positive things, and suddenly we aren't so down? Gosh damn, easily excitable doesn't apply to you. Course we already knew that.

A couple of people post a couple of positive things, and suddenly we aren't so down? Gosh damn, easily excitable doesn't apply to you. Course we already knew that.
I have no idea what you are talking about

Not to get carried away, but he may be the closest thing Monty has had to RGIII
People forget that he rated Tulsa very high in part because TG was one of the few willing to let him run track and told him he would play QB. That said, he was a project player. A track star with athletic ability on the football field. He developed into a good college QB in that system. Not every experiment turns out that way. Skipper can throw. He should keep throwing. We should keep recruiting guys who can throw. That is who we are. For the love of God, we are Rubley, not Cassano. We are Smith and Kinne. We win even with Green, not with Beaver or President.

Reactions: TULSARISING
People forget that he rated Tulsa very high in part because TG was one of the few willing to let him run track and told him he would play QB. That said, he was a project player. A track star with athletic ability on the football field. He developed into a good college QB in that system. Not every experiment turns out that way. Skipper can throw. He should keep throwing. We should keep recruiting guys who can throw. That is who we are. For the love of God, we are Rubley, not Cassano. We are Smith and Kinne. We win even with Green, not with Beaver or President.
I think what Raisin Cane was saying was that he has running ablility and elusiveness. Yes, we do need to recruit people who can throw, but we also need a QB that can run when pressured as well

Reactions: astonmartin708
Have you ever actually watched Chad? I don't know where it started that he doesn't have an arm, but that's just not true.

As for Coach Monty's system, it's best run with an accurate quarterback. It takes advantage of deficiencies and mistakes in the defensive scheme.

Not every passing game was built the same. The one Malzhan or Morris ran is different from Monty's system. We don't need the biggest arm. We need to be able to take advantage of what the defense gives us. Pay attention and don't try and say that only one type of player can ever win games.

By the way, Smith Kinne and Green were all different types of quarterbacks completely. The similarity is that they all had success here.

President's long ball is inaccurate and wobbly. That's the thing that scares me about him. I think he would be a turnover machine.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I don't think anyone is "down" about the QB talent that is on the team...we are cautious about how effective someone who has never played a full game (or even taken a snap in a game as is the case with Skipper, Hefley, and Boomer) can be in their first full year of being the guy. My take has always been I think Skipper has better arm talent than President and thus has a better chance of success. I also tend to think from the snaps I've seen that Skipper may also read and see the defense a little better right now. With the OL and RBs we have the QB job this year will be to hit passes when called upon to do so.

President's long ball is inaccurate and wobbly. That's the thing that scares me about him. I think he would be a turnover machine.
This is accurate. In watching Skipper in the spring game and in highlights, you can visibly see he throws a tighter spiral and thus an easier ball for receivers to catch. And it's not just on the long passes where Skipper has that advantage IMO.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Something tells me we're gonna have another season of complaining that the QB sucks and we need to put in the backup when the backup isn't ready to play

Sorry if I gave that impression, I understood you perfectly on the QB controversy. Kinne, Green, Smith, Dane, etc. etc.

Reactions: URedskin54
You guys think President has the edge going into the fall? I've heard the exact opposite but that was in the spring.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
No, no, no, no! We are just dreading Skipper getting stepped on, and people like TUGrad6 & 7 bitching that they should put in President every week.

I would have guessed Skipper but last I had heard about President was literally "it's his to lose." But ehh, that could be wrong since lawpoke heard different. Plus lots can change in fall camp.

I heard that back in the spring. Who knows what the coaches are thinking now.

I hope our fans remember that both are basically first year QBs and will make first year QB mistakes. They will look great one series and make a bonehead play on the next. It will happen. Patience will be necessary.

I would have guessed Skipper but last I had heard about President was literally "it's his to lose." But ehh, that could be wrong since lawpoke heard different. Plus lots can change in fall camp.
Hmph, I thought that was part of the sarcasm. I have a hard time buying that. Maybe they are giving him the opportunity to lose it so he will stay with the program, instead of transferring. From what I saw in the spring, I can't believe that comment is on merit. But maybe he wasn't showing what he could do at the scrimmage. I can't believe he could have improved dramatically enough after the scrimmage to leapfrog over Skipper. Possibly they've been hiding his ability from the public, to grass OSU?

Doesn't mean the QB will be bad. Some said Dane needed to be replaced up until the middle of last year. Just a little sarcasm based on the comments and the fact that it's probably President's job to lose at this point
Lol we have a former QB in an NFL training camp who we heard on here repeatedly wasn't D1 material.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Skipper is a pup and he will act like one. He has all the tools to be successful but it takes snaps regardless of what anyone thinks or expects. The game will start to slow down hopefully by the time we start hitting conference play. Year 2 is when it really slows down.

Fortunately we have two terrific backs to take the pressure off if Ramadi takes care of business. They and the veteran OL will be a young QBs best friend. Pump the rock to the backs and take easy play action shots and quick game. Last year was a heavy veteran team. We rode the old guys and their experience to a great year. This year can be solid but make no mistake it's a rebuild year because of the QB and top two WRs graduating. We all hope it's plug and play but that would be atypical IMO. The first four are grow up time. End of September is when the season starts IMO. Here's to a great year.

Skipper is a pup and he will act like one. He has all the tools to be successful but it takes snaps regardless of what anyone thinks or expects. The game will start to slow down hopefully by the time we start hitting conference play. Year 2 is when it really slows down.

Fortunately we have two terrific backs to take the pressure off if Ramadi takes care of business. They and the veteran OL will be a young QBs best friend. Pump the rock to the backs and take easy play action shots and quick game. Last year was a heavy veteran team. We rode the old guys and their experience to a great year. This year can be solid but make no mistake it's a rebuild year because of the QB and top two WRs graduating. We all hope it's plug and play but that would be atypical IMO. The first four are grow up time. End of September is when the season starts IMO. Here's to a great year.

Let's hope for a first game like Rubley had against OSU.

Let's hope for a first game like Rubley had against OSU.
Was thinking the same thing. TJ threw for about 350 and OSU won't have Barry Sanders(Sr.) to go off for 5 against us. (well 4 actually-I will always say that we stopped him a yard short on one of those but the ref gave it to him anyway.) TU Football: 1st,last,always!

If not for a stiff south wind during spring game, Skipper's stats-( & maybe President's) would have been much better.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT